• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Faith?

muhammad_isa

You're describing the faith-based thinker.
..not specifically..

Of course, if no god exists, there is no way to convince an empiricist that one does or a faith-based thinker that the empiricist isn't just being stubborn and closed-minded.
..and that's what I was saying .. that it is not purely about evidence.
It is about our nature, heart and conscience also.

He assumes that his god exists, is obvious, and only people trying to fight belief will try to resist it.
..now you are making your own assumptions..

Except I made the case. She believes by faith, and how does one tunnel out of that? How can one possibly identify and correct errors if they are impervious to evidence and argument?
..and what does that mean to you?
..that "she believes by faith"?
I think you assume that everybody is like you, and experienced faith in a similar way to you, before
you became an atheist, or whatever you are.
You shouldn't. We are all different.

They can't. I've described my own journey out of Christianity. Fortunately, thought I had suspended disbelief and chose to disregard evidence and reason for a time to try this worldview out, I hadn't forgotten how to do that, so when compelling evidence surfaced that the religion was false, I was NOT boxed in.
Great. You found some evidence to show your belief was incorrect.
That does not mean that ALL religion is wrong.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?
Pointless question..
Who are you claiming does not value evidence etc. ?

That's not the argument. It is that if any of it is of human origin, and there is no way to tell what else human beings wrote, the book is not a reliable source of information from that god.
You may frame it however you like, but it still remains that there is more than one Holy Book.
They are not necessarily all mistaken.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is ad populum fallacy was committed every time you used the number of people who believe or disbelieve in something as evidence as to whether it is true or not.
Incorrect. I never made that claim even once. Every time I mentioned that many others agreed with me - and I think it's been thrice lately - it was in response to your claim that "that's just your opinion." I falsified that. No, it's not just my opinion.

You remind me of a child with a set of magnetized plastic numbers and arithmetic operators (+,-, etc.) randomly arranging numbers and thinking that she's doing math.
Who said I was emotional?
You: "I laugh uncontrollably every time I read your posts." I don't believe that, and I hope it's not true. I'm imagining you laughing maniacally with a bunch of cats and frightening them. The image is surreal.

Do you understand that I am a different person from you so we don't see things the same way?
Yes, I do. Is that intended to be justification for having your own form of reasoning?
He thought that marriage without sex is not justified and I think marriage without sex is justified
That's not how that word is used. Wanting sex is unrelated to demonstrating the correctness of an idea.
When you say I do not have any evidence that proves that God exists, you are saying that my belief that God exists is false because it has not yet been proven true by my evidence. That is an argument from ignorance.
First, will you never get it right? I say that what you call evidence in support of your belief doesn't justify it by academic standards for justification. And no, I am not saying that your God belief is false because it lacks justification. I am saying that it shouldn't be believed for that reason. I'm guessing that you don't see the difference in either case. And the argument from ignorance was a strawman of your own creation.
No, that comment was not falsified when you changed my mind about the time stamps. Since there was verifiable evidence for the time stamps, of course you changed your mind.
You misunderstand again. It's not about changing your mind at all. Claims that I cannot be budged by sound argument were falsified when I changed my position based on the evidence and insight you provided.
You said that you reject belief by faith and consider it unjustified belief, but since faith is the only way to believe in God what more is there to say?
How about the obvious conclusion, that belief in a god is unjustified? Here it is in syllogism form: Unjustified claims should not be believed, god beliefs are unjustified, therefore, god claims should not be believed.
It is not me who does not know what an argument from ignorance is. I have proven that you have committed the fallacy
No, you make the claim, post a cut-and-paste that isn't relevant, and consider that "proof." I just illustrated another example above. Sorry, but one of the skills critical thinkers learn is to properly identify and name logical fallacies. You haven't quite mastered that yet.
you have been unable to show me I am wrong.
Correct, but I have shown others.
As I have said a million times, I have no argument so I cannot have a sound argument.
I don't think you know what an argument is. You argue that your belief is justified.
Math is not religion so that is the fallacy of false equivalence.
Wrong again. Comparing and contrasting two items and identifying their similarities and differences is neither false equivalence nor a fallacy. Furthermore, what was being compared was the logic of a verbal argument and the logic of a mathematical process. Imagine reading that after you've compared the differences in beliefs between Baha'i and Christianity and being told that you have made a logical error comparing them, and worse, that you found them equivalent because you compared them.

You don't have a grasp of the principles of reason and can't tell a justified argument from a fallacious one, but have access to a list of informal fallacies, an Internet search engine, and the power to cut-and-paste, are because you are unable to understand or apply them properly, make random assertions about fallacies and call them proofs.

The same is not true in the arena of math as in the arena of religion, since math is not religion.
They are subject to the same laws of reason. This old apologist's ruse of trying to disqualify thought because it's about gods or faith is impotent here.
Answers in religion are beliefs and opinions, since they can never be proven true or false.
That doesn't exempt them from critical analysis. In fact, if one considers a proposition unfalsifiable, the next step is to declare it "not even wrong" and reject it.
Your inability to understand or even consider that possibility I just explained above has you locked in to where you are now. Ask yourself this: If I was right, is it possible to show you that and change your mind? Not if you can't reason properly.
More mimicry? It doesn't work here. Remember, you're Ham and I'm Nye. Like Nye, I'm the one who can be convinced by compelling evidence, which is the opposite of being locked into a belief. I see you didn't attempt to rebut the claim that faith locks one in to wrong answers and false beliefs as Ham so proudly declared.

Let me illustrate further:

“If somewhere in the Bible I were to find a passage that said 2 + 2 = 5, I wouldn't question what I am reading in the Bible. I would believe it, accept it as true, and do my best to work it out and understand it."- Pastor Peter laRuffa

He's locked in to believing whatever his Bible tells him right or wrong, and he is proudly announcing that nothing could budge him from that position.

Here's another proclamation of faith over evidence from a prominent Protestant theologian:

"The way in which I know Christianity is true is first and foremost on the basis of the witness of the Holy Spirit in my heart. And this gives me a self-authenticating means of knowing Christianity is true wholly apart from the evidence. And therefore, even if in some historically contingent circumstances the evidence that I have available to me should turn against Christianity, I do not think that this controverts the witness of the Holy Spirit. In such a situation, I should regard that as simply a result of the contingent circumstances that I'm in, and that if I were to pursue this with due diligence and with time, I would discover that the evidence, if in fact I could get the correct picture, would support exactly what the witness of the Holy Spirit tells me. So I think that's very important to get the relationship between faith and reason right" - William Lane Craig

Do you understand what that means? Now consider your comment again. You're calling me a faith-based thinker.

How about another proud faith-based thinker locked into his belief set however wrong evidence demonstrates it is:

“When science and the Bible differ, science has obviously misinterpreted its data. The only Bible-honoring conclusion is, of course, that Genesis 1-11 is actual historical truth, regardless of any scientific or chronological problems thereby entailed.” – creationist Henry Morris

The difference between an empiricist's beliefs and religious faith is that the former is open- minded, that is, amenable to falsification in light of new evidence, but someone of a religious faith will just stick their fingers in the ears and say as we have seen repeatedly in the examples provided, 'There's nothing you can say that will make me change my mind.'
now you are making your own assumptions..
Yes. Did you want to rebut them? What's your alternative hypothesis and what suggests to you that it is correct?
Pointless question
What Harris wrote was, "If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" Actually, that's not a question in the sense of it seeking information. It was a rhetorical statement written with a question mark, like "What's the use?" or "Who knows what the future holds," which should be understood as there is no use and nobody knows the future. Harris's comment is a restatement of my contention that there is no burden of "proof" with a faith-based thinker in the form of a rhetorical question or two.

You may frame it however you like, but it still remains that there is more than one Holy Book.
They are not necessarily all mistaken.
That wasn't the claim. The claim was that any human input into a holy book claiming to channel and speak for a god couple with no clear test for deciding if any of it comes from a god rather than men makes it unreliable.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Incorrect. I never made that claim even once. Every time I mentioned that many others agreed with me - and I think it's been thrice lately - it was in response to your claim that "that's just your opinion." I falsified that. No, it's not just my opinion.
Okay, so now tell me why it matters if others agree with you.
You: "I laugh uncontrollably every time I read your posts." I don't believe that, and I hope it's not true. I'm imagining you laughing maniacally with a bunch of cats and frightening them. The image is surreal.
You never get emotional about anything? Humans are not all intellect, and when humans are happy they are getting emotional.
I do not laugh every time, just sometimes. I did not frighten any cats but for a moment.
Yes, I do. Is that intended to be justification for having your own form of reasoning?
It certainly is. I have my own reasoning and I also have my own car and my own house. I don't have to justify having any of those.
That's not how that word is used. Wanting sex is unrelated to demonstrating the correctness of an idea.
What idea do you think is correct, his idea or my idea?
First, will you never get it right? I say that what you call evidence in support of your belief doesn't justify it by academic standards for justification. And no, I am not saying that your God belief is false because it lacks justification. I am saying that it shouldn't be believed for that reason. I'm guessing that you don't see the difference in either case. And the argument from ignorance was a strawman of your own creation.
Okay, I retract my strawman, now that you have explained your actual position.
No, my evidence in support of my belief doesn't justify it by academic standards for justification. Why should a belief in God be justified by academic standards? Belief in God is not a college course.
You misunderstand again. It's not about changing your mind at all. Claims that I cannot be budged by sound argument were falsified when I changed my position based on the evidence and insight you provided.
There was no sound argument involved, there was just verifiable evidence of the time stamps. There is nothing to argue about when there is verifiable evidence since verifiable evidence is proof.

There can be no verifiable evidence for God so there can be 'no argument' made to prove that God exists. That is why I cannot make a sound argument.
How about the obvious conclusion, that belief in a god is unjustified? Here it is in syllogism form: Unjustified claims should not be believed, god beliefs are unjustified, therefore, god claims should not be believed.
How about the obvious conclusion, that in your opinion belief in a god is unjustified?
I don't think you know what an argument is. You argue that your belief is justified.
I know exactly what a logical argument is and that is why I know that a logical argument can never be used to prove that God exists.
My belief is justified to me by the evidence.
Wrong again. Comparing and contrasting two items and identifying their similarities and differences is neither false equivalence nor a fallacy.
You said: Answers are never, "just your opinion." They are correct or not, and if not, one can be sure that the rules were violated somewhere. The same is true in this arena.

The same is not true in the arena of math and religion.
My point was that math is not an opinion, it is either correct or not.
By contrast, your answers about religion are "just your opinion."

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rubbish .. it was not you that made the claim in the first place, yet you "know" exactly what
was in @osgart 's mind.
I didn't see his comment. Call it my claim if you like, although I suspect Osgart would agree - any error in a holy book undermines it claims to divine provenance, and lacking a clear way to decide which passages weren't just humans adding their opinions, none of it can be trusted. Did you want to address that? Think of a barrel of apples. One is discovered to be poisoned injected with arsenic. Would like to have one of the other apples? Of course not. I need to believe that all of the apples are unadulterated apples right off the tree or I don't want any of them.
I do not dismiss the Bible, but I believe that there are mistakes in it.
Then what do you use it for?
tell me why it matters if others agree with you.
It doesn't.
You never get emotional about anything?
Yes, but that is irrelevant. You asked, "Who said I was emotional?" and I told you. You did.
I have my own reasoning and I also have my own car and my own house. I don't have to justify having any of those.
Yes, but fortunately, you didn't design your home or car, or they likely wouldn't work any better than your version of reasoning.
What idea do you think is correct, his idea or my idea?
Neither, which is why the word justification doesn't apply. It was a category error. Those were expressions of preference.
I retract my strawman, now that you have explained your actual position.
Thank you, but I have explained that previously.
Why should a belief in God be justified by academic standards?
It depends on how you feel about holding beliefs that haven't been shown to be correct. If being wrong isn't a concern, use any method you like. Flip a coin or consult a Ouija board. But if you want to separate the right ideas from the rest, you'll need a method that distinguishes between them, and there is only one that can do that.
I know exactly what a logical argument is
The evidence contradicts you. Keep reading:
There was no sound argument involved, there was just verifiable evidence of the time stamps.
This is why I say that you don't know what an argument is in rhetoric and the philosophy of disputation. The argument is what connects the evidence to the conclusion. The evidence was two time stamps. The conclusion was that they represented the same time in two different time zones. How did you get from one to the other? That's the argument.
There is nothing to argue about when there is verifiable evidence since verifiable evidence is proof.
Verifiable evidence isn't a meaningful phrase. Evidence just is. What needs verification are the conclusion drawn from it, and that is done by analyzing the argument for soundness according to accepted standards. We can discuss the argument, but you'd have to see that there is one there first to do that.
There can be no verifiable evidence for God so there can be 'no argument' made to prove that God exists. That is why I cannot make a sound argument.
And you see this as a defense for unjustified belief. Since there is no argument that supports that belief, you are justified in believing it without sufficient evidence. That's through the looking glass thinking.
How about the obvious conclusion, that in your opinion belief in a god is unjustified?
That too.
My point was that math is not an opinion, it is either correct or not.
By contrast, your answers about religion are "just your opinion."
Your claims are all subject to critical scrutiny. You seem to think that because they're religious, irrational, and insufficiently evidenced, that they deserve their own set of standards. There are no other effective standards for judging soundness, just the one that you keep calling "just your opinion." And I wish you could see what that comment does to your credibility. You'd correct yourself if you could see how it hurts you. It's like the creationists telling us that evolution is only a theory. One reads that and dismisses such a poster the way an error in scripture undermines it. Look at the comments to @muhammad_isa above. One error of that kind is the death of credibility.

When you fail to see over and over that there are opinions that are more than guesses, and that these other ideas are not equal to guesses, well, I've told you how that is understood. It just tells me that you really don't know what critical thinking is or does. It's the definition of Dunning-Kruger - not a category one wants to be included in.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes, but fortunately, you didn't design your home or car, or they likely wouldn't work any better than your version of reasoning.
I will take that for the insult that it is but no problem because I know my reasoning is just fine.
It depends on how you feel about holding beliefs that haven't been shown to be correct. If being wrong isn't a concern, use any method you like.
Conversely, it depends on how you feel about holding non-beliefs that haven't been shown to be correct. If being wrong isn't a concern, use any method you like.

Now you got me laughing again.
Verifiable evidence isn't a meaningful phrase. Evidence just is.
There is more than one kind of evidence. All evidence is not verifiable. Verifiable evidence is proof.
And you see this as a defense for unjustified belief. Since there is no argument that supports that belief, you are justified in believing it without sufficient evidence. That's through the looking glass thinking.
I have sufficient evidence to justify my belief.
Your claims are all subject to critical scrutiny. You seem to think that because they're religious, irrational, and insufficiently evidenced, that they deserve their own set of standards.
Your claims are all subject to critical scrutiny. You seem to think that because they're nonreligious, irrational, and insufficiently evidenced, that they deserve their own set of standards.
When you fail to see over and over that there are opinions that are more than guesses, and that these other ideas are not equal to guesses, well, I've told you how that is understood. It just tells me that you really don't know what critical thinking is or does.
You fail to see over and over that your opinions are no more than guesses, and that other ideas are more than guesses, since they are based upon evidence. It just tells me that you really don't know what critical thinking is or does.

Now you got me laughing again.

muhammad_isa

..any error in a holy book undermines it claims to divine provenance, and lacking a clear way to decide which passages weren't just humans adding their opinions, none of it can be trusted. Did you want to address that? Think of a barrel of apples. One is discovered to be poisoned injected with arsenic. Would like to have one of the other apples? Of course not. I need to believe that all of the apples are unadulterated apples right off the tree or I don't want any of them..
I understand..
..up to a point, I would agree with you.

However, if one has other Holy Books that they DO trust, then one does not have to
reject all in its entirety. :)

eg. there are mistakes in the Holy Bible, so the existence of G-d is false

Then what do you use it for?
I have not stopped being a Christian .. I just do not believe in all Orthodox dogma.

When you fail to see over and over that there are opinions that are more than guesses, and that these other ideas are not equal to guesses, well, I've told you how that is understood. It just tells me that you really don't know what critical thinking is or does. It's the definition of Dunning-Kruger - not a category one wants to be included in.
That is not accurate.
One CANNOT deduce the existence of G-d through critical thinking on a basis of physical evidence..

..yet one can use critical thinking on the initial assumption that G-d exists.
However, as your initial assumption is that G-d does NOT exist, any evidence at all is waved away. :)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
there are mistakes in the Holy Bible, so the existence of G-d is false
You already posted that straw man. Nobody is making that argument. @osgart said "My claim is that you can dismiss any holy book that has falsehoods in it," and I said that if any of it is human in origin and if there is no way to identify what came from a god and what else came from humans, the book is not a reliable source for the will of a god. There's no reason to believe that a deity was involved at all. What deity would allow human beings to contaminate its message?
I have not stopped being a Christian .. I just do not believe in all Orthodox dogma.
It seems that you reject some of the Bible. Then why not all of it? What the difference between the parts you reject and the parts you accept that allows you to know which should be which?
your initial assumption is that G-d does NOT exist, any evidence at all is waved away.
No, my initial (and present) assumption is that gods might exist. We see this a lot from people who consider the evidence for a god so compelling that disbelief is only possible with intellectual dishonesty. Such people just can't believe that open-minded, critically thinking skeptics aren't convinced.

one can use critical thinking on the initial assumption that G-d exists.
Disagree. You've just described religious faith, the polar opposite of justified belief. Or maybe you meant reason can be applied to any premise including a god belief. If so, yes, but it's sterile. Conclusions derived from unsupported premises are useless. That's what the scholastics of the Middle Ages did and worked out a hierarchy for the various levels of angels. That's what Ussher did to determine the age of the earth using biblical genealogies beginning with Adam and Eve. We saw it in Seinfeld as well. Listen to their reasoning as they argue about Superman as if he existed:

muhammad_isa

..I said that if any of it is human in origin and if there is no way to identify what came from a god and what else came from humans, the book is not a reliable source for the will of a god.
..and I said that only applies IF that is the only source we have.

What deity would allow human beings to contaminate its message?
A deity of which we have been given a free-will to corrupt it.
However, I would agree with you, that if the truth is not clear, then G-d would make it clear.
We have the Holy Qur'an.

It seems that you reject some of the Bible. Then why not all of it? What the difference between the parts you reject and the parts you accept that allows you to know which should be which?
Example: The Bible claims it was Isaac that was to be sacrificed in a dream, by Abraham.
The Qur'an says it was Ishmael. Peace be with them all.
etc.

You've just described religious faith, the polar opposite of justified belief.
That's meaningless..
'gods' do exist .. lots of them.
..but only One is worthy of worship. The Creator and Sustainer of the universe.

I do not anthropomorhise .. G-d is beyond human conception .. He is neither male or female,
nor a person.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A deity of which we have been given a free-will to corrupt it.
I asked what kind of deity lets man corrupt its message, and you said one who grants free will. Doesn't sound like this deity is very serious about being understood and believed. Not a problem for the skeptic.
However, I would agree with you, that if the truth is not clear, then G-d would make it clear. We have the Holy Qur'an.
Same problem, and that book is no more clear than the other one.
'gods' do exist .. lots of them.
I have no reason to believe that. Neither do you by the standards of evaluating evidence, but faith gives one permission to use a different metric - whatever feels right.
G-d is beyond human conception
But it doesn't stop believers from telling us what it thinks and wants, nor from them believing it.

PearlSeeker

Some Pascal's Thoughts on faith:

It is your own assent to yourself, and the constant voice of your own reason, and not of others, that should make you believe.

It is natural for the mind to believe, and for the will to love; so that, for want of true objects, they must attach themselves to false.

Two extremes: to exclude reason, to admit reason only.

If we submit everything to reason, our religion will have no mysterious and supernatural element. If we offend the principles of reason, our religion will be absurd and ridiculous.

Faith indeed tells what the senses do not tell, but not the contrary of what they see. It is above them and not contrary to them.

The heart has its reasons, which reason does not know. We feel it in a thousand things. I say that the heart naturally loves the Universal Being, and also itself naturally, according as it gives itself to them; and it hardens itself against one or the other at its will. You have rejected the one, and kept the other. Is it by reason that you love yourself?

It is the heart which experiences God, and not the reason. This, then, is faith: God felt by the heart, not by the reason.

Faith is a gift of God; do not believe that we said it was a gift of reasoning. Other religions do not say this of their faith. They only gave reasoning in order to arrive at it, and yet it does not bring them to it.

We know truth, not only by the reason, but also by the heart, and it is in this last way that we know first principles; and reason, which has no part in it, tries in vain to impugn them. The sceptics, who have only this for their object, labour to no purpose. We know that we do not dream, and however impossible it is for us to prove it by reason, this inability demonstrates only the weakness of our reason, but not, as they affirm, the uncertainty of all our knowledge. For the knowledge of first principles, as space, time, motion, number, is as sure as any of those which we get from reasoning. And reason must trust these intuitions of the heart, and must base them on every argument. (We have intuitive knowledge of the tri-dimensional nature of space, and of the infinity of number, and reason then shows that there are no two square numbers one of which is double of the other. Principles are intuited, propositions are inferred, all with certainty, though in different ways.) And it is as useless and absurd for reason to demand from the heart proofs of her first principles, before admitting them, as it would be for the heart to demand from reason an intuition of all demonstrated propositions before accepting them.

This inability ought, then, to serve only to humble reason, which would judge all, but not to impugn our certainty, as if only reason were capable of instructing us. Would to God, on the contrary, that we had never need of it, and that we knew everything by instinct and intuition! But nature has refused us this boon. On the contrary, she has given us but very little knowledge of this kind; and all the rest can be acquired only by reasoning.

Therefore, those to whom God has imparted religion by intuition are very fortunate, and justly convinced. But to those who do not have it, we can give it only by reasoning, waiting for God to give them spiritual insight, without which faith is only human, and useless for salvation.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

It is your own assent to yourself, and the constant voice of your own reason, and not of others, that should make you believe.

It is natural for the mind to believe, and for the will to love; so that, for want of true objects, they must attach themselves to false.

Two extremes: to exclude reason, to admit reason only.

If we submit everything to reason, our religion will have no mysterious and supernatural element. If we offend the principles of reason, our religion will be absurd and ridiculous.

Faith indeed tells what the senses do not tell, but not the contrary of what they see. It is above them and not contrary to them.

The heart has its reasons, which reason does not know. We feel it in a thousand things. I say that the heart naturally loves the Universal Being, and also itself naturally, according as it gives itself to them; and it hardens itself against one or the other at its will. You have rejected the one, and kept the other. Is it by reason that you love yourself?

It is the heart which experiences God, and not the reason. This, then, is faith: God felt by the heart, not by the reason.

Faith is a gift of God; do not believe that we said it was a gift of reasoning. Other religions do not say this of their faith. They only gave reasoning in order to arrive at it, and yet it does not bring them to it.

We know truth, not only by the reason, but also by the heart, and it is in this last way that we know first principles; and reason, which has no part in it, tries in vain to impugn them. The sceptics, who have only this for their object, labour to no purpose. We know that we do not dream, and however impossible it is for us to prove it by reason, this inability demonstrates only the weakness of our reason, but not, as they affirm, the uncertainty of all our knowledge. For the knowledge of first principles, as space, time, motion, number, is as sure as any of those which we get from reasoning. And reason must trust these intuitions of the heart, and must base them on every argument. (We have intuitive knowledge of the tri-dimensional nature of space, and of the infinity of number, and reason then shows that there are no two square numbers one of which is double of the other. Principles are intuited, propositions are inferred, all with certainty, though in different ways.) And it is as useless and absurd for reason to demand from the heart proofs of her first principles, before admitting them, as it would be for the heart to demand from reason an intuition of all demonstrated propositions before accepting them.

This inability ought, then, to serve only to humble reason, which would judge all, but not to impugn our certainty, as if only reason were capable of instructing us. Would to God, on the contrary, that we had never need of it, and that we knew everything by instinct and intuition! But nature has refused us this boon. On the contrary, she has given us but very little knowledge of this kind; and all the rest can be acquired only by reasoning.[Pg 80]

Therefore, those to whom God has imparted religion by intuition are very fortunate, and justly convinced. But to those who do not have it, we can give it only by reasoning, waiting for God to give them spiritual insight, without which faith is only human, and useless for salvation.
Thanks for all of that. My interpretation:

Pascal values intuition as a path to truth as much as reason applied to evidence, the former called heart and the latter mind. Unlike the empiricist, he seems to find the former the more reliable guide to reality - above the senses. He describes the propensity to believe by faith and uses the word false there, although he seems elsewhere to admire it: "It is natural for the mind to believe, and for the will to love; so that, for want of true objects, they must attach themselves to false." And he argues for this softer kind of thinking based in the limitations of reason applied to evidence, that we ought to "humble reason." And, he names his intuition, "God."

That was his fatal flaw. That's where he and I part ways. Following that, he's arguing for why one should devote themselves to this god with a famous but very poorly reasoned argument. All of this can be done without god beliefs. Leave the gods out, and nothing is lost, while much is gained. Think about all of the unnecessary things Pacal believed and did in service of that belief. One can have a direct, intuitive, spiritual relationship with nature without spirits, dogmas or mythologies.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

265 Faith indeed tells what the senses do not tell, but not the contrary of what they see. It is above them and not contrary to them.

278 It is the heart which experiences God, and not the reason. This, then, is faith: God felt by the heart, not by the reason.

279 Faith is a gift of God; do not believe that we said it was a gift of reasoning. Other religions do not say this of their faith. They only gave reasoning in order to arrive at it, and yet it does not bring them to it.

282 We know truth, not only by the reason, but also by the heart,
I believe that my Faith was a gift from God, because it was God who enabled me to recognize Baha'u'llah and come to have Faith.

“Be thankful to God for having enabled you to recognise His Cause..... We cherish the hope that you, who have attained to this light, will exert your utmost to banish the darkness of superstition and unbelief from the midst of the people. May your deeds proclaim your faith and enable you to lead the erring into the paths of eternal salvation.”
(Baha'u'llah, quoted by Shoghi Effendi in The Dawn-Breakers, p. 586)

I used reasoning to arrive at my conclusions about the Baha'i Faith and God, but it was by reasoning and my heart that I know that it is the truth.
It is also by my heart that I have been able to sustain my Faith in God, against all odds.

PearlSeeker

Thanks for all of that. My interpretation:

Pascal values intuition as a path to truth as much as reason applied to evidence, the former called heart and the latter mind. Unlike the empiricist, he seems to find the former the more reliable guide to reality - above the senses. He describes the propensity to believe by faith and uses the word false there, although he seems elsewhere to admire it: "It is natural for the mind to believe, and for the will to love; so that, for want of true objects, they must attach themselves to false." And he argues for this softer kind of thinking based in the limitations of reason applied to evidence, that we ought to "humble reason." And, he names his intuition, "God."

As I understand Pascal the path to truth depends on if you are knowing something natural or supernatural. God is beyond reason.

Submission.—We must know where to doubt, where to feel certain, where to submit. He who does not do so, understands not the force of reason. There are some who offend against these three rules, either by affirming everything as demonstrative, from want of knowing what demonstration is; or by doubting everything, from want of knowing where to submit; or by submitting in everything, from want of knowing where they must judge.

That was his fatal flaw. That's where he and I part ways. Following that, he's arguing for why one should devote themselves to this god with a famous but very poorly reasoned argument. All of this can be done without god beliefs. Leave the gods out, and nothing is lost, while much is gained. Think about all of the unnecessary things Pacal believed and did in service of that belief. One can have a direct, intuitive, spiritual relationship with nature without spirits, dogmas or mythologies.

Pascal wasn't very fond of proofs (for the existence of God):

The metaphysical proofs of God are so remote from the reasoning of men, and so complicated, that they make little impression; and if they should be of service to some, it would be only during the moment that they see such demonstration; but an hour afterwards they fear they have been mistaken.

/... /Therefore I shall not undertake here to prove by natural reasons either the existence of God, or the Trinity, or the immortality of the soul, or anything of that nature; not only because I should not feel myself sufficiently able to find in nature arguments to convince hardened atheists, but also because such knowledge without Jesus Christ is useless and barren. Though a man should be convinced that numerical proportions are immaterial truths, eternal and dependent on a first truth, in which they subsist, and which is called God, I should not think him far advanced towards his own salvation.

The God of Christians is not a God who is simply the author of mathematical truths, or of the order of the elements; that is the view of heathens and Epicureans. He is not merely a God who exercises His providence over the life and fortunes of men, to bestow on those who worship Him a long and happy life. That was the portion of the Jews. But the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, the God of Christians, is a God of love and of comfort, a God who fills the soul and heart of those whom He possesses, a God who makes them conscious of their inward wretchedness, and His infinite mercy, who unites Himself to their inmost soul, who fills it with humility and joy, with confidence and love, who renders them incapable of any other end than Himself.

All who seek God without Jesus Christ, and who rest in nature, either find no light to satisfy them, or come to form for themselves a means of knowing God and serving Him without a mediator. Thereby they fall either into atheism, or into deism, two things which the Christian religion abhors almost equally.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But I thought all we can know about God comes from the supposed messengers. The Bible and the NT has five of them. So, we had possible misinformation about God for all those centuries?
Yup, since the Bible was written by men, not those messengers.
Then how can some Baha'is claim that messengers is the best way for God to get his truth out to the world?
It is not only the best way, it is the only way to get messages from God. It doesn't matter what happened in the past because the past is gone.
The past does not even exist except in people's minds. Only the present exists.
We no longer have to rely upon messages that men wrote because now we have the writings of the messenger.