• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Faith?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Faith is the excercise of our innate sixth sense but it's not instinctive like the other five. It's "I" attaching meaning beyond anything that exist. That's where it starts and that's where it can also end.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Faith can be an extravagant step, it can be described as a middle man (an obstacle that may prevent someone from further understanding). A belief does not adhere to “I” it appeals to “why”. Faith usually never answers or satisfies this plea.

gnomon

What does the word "faith" mean to you? Are there different forms of it? Are there different degrees of it? Is it inherently good or bad, or neither?

Faith is a form of belief. Belief is defined by accepting a proposition as true without evidence of its truth. Therefore, saying faith is accepting something as true without evidence would be redundant. Considering that people place a greater value in the word faith than belief we must have a better and more applicable meaning for the term.

Faith is belief in a divine power or complete trust in another person.

Here is what faith is not though it is often used so to equivocate rather than actually hold a rational discussion.

Faith is not hope.
Faith is not reason.
Faith is not taking something for granted.
Faith is not merely the expectation of an unknown outcome. In other words, it is not a logical prediction.

These equivocations reduce the meaning of faith as well as reduce the meaning of what it means to not have faith.

The ongoing argument about everyone having faith has been a long exercise in equivocation. It is also a petty argument usually made by those who cannot accept that someone does not hold to a belief that they hold to.

Are there different forms of it? Certainly. There is faith in a higher power (be it God, a collective, what have you) or faith in a person.

Are there different degrees? Those who hold to it make such a claim. What unit of measurement is being used seems to be nothing more than gut reaction.

As to the last question...nothing is inherently good or bad.

Of course, this is my opinion. As with all matters with language it is difficult to give anything close to an absolute. Some people love to keep such terms as faith vague for their own philosophical purposes. I happen to find it petty and ultimately boring.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
I vaguely recall saying, a dusty lifetime ago, that for me 'faith' is the process through which the paradoxes of "I" and "Am" are melded. Faith is the crux; Faith is movement.

(Or something like that anyways...)

It still resonates with me, despite (or maybe because of) the fact I have absolutely no idea what I meant.

EDIT* After giving this thread a rather-more-thorough-read, I also heartily concur with Willamena's explanation. :)

indisbelief

Faith without reason is hopeless.
A love of faith does not love one back.
Faith is an acknowledgement of ones trust in another, It will only be repaid once it is fully appreciated.
Do not blindly follow, it is fatal! Questioning, Researching and Dreaming will be the path to true enlightenment...

GadFly

Faith is present where the outcome of a prediction is uncertain. It is a firm belief in things whose actuality is unknown or variable. We live in a world of probability, and wading through our lives is a practice in prediction. Everything we enact is "an act of faith".

There are not different forms or degrees of it, there is only faith; alternatively, there are as many different forms and degrees of it as we distinguish. Whichever is useful.

It is both good and bad, inherently and not. It is necesssary.
Theist agree very much with what you say. You say faith is fixed in that "there are not different forms and degrees of it, there is only faith." Your next statement is either Platonic in nature or I do not understand you as yet. You say "alternatively, there are as many different forms and degrees of it as we distinguish." Ary you saying that although there is only one faith that does not change, we see faith differently either good or bad as we distinguish through experience with a relationship with faith. That is what I believe. Is that what you are saying too?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Theist agree very much with what you say. You say faith is fixed in that "there are not different forms and degrees of it, there is only faith." Your next statement is either Platonic in nature or I do not understand you as yet. You say "alternatively, there are as many different forms and degrees of it as we distinguish." Ary you saying that although there is only one faith that does not change, we see faith differently either good or bad as we distinguish through experience with a relationship with faith. That is what I believe. Is that what you are saying too?

Yes, she is saying that faith is a concept that doesn't change, and that any change we see in it is just our perception.

trinity2359

Haven't read all the posts yet, but here is my submission:

Faith is acting on a preceived reality.

For example, I have faith that if I go to work and perform my job duties that I will recieve a paycheck that will be accepted for value by my bank. I can believe that by working I will get paid, but faith is only real when it is lived by action.

lunamoth

Will to love
Faith without reason is hopeless.
A love of faith does not love one back.
Faith is an acknowledgement of ones trust in another, It will only be repaid once it is fully appreciated.
Do not blindly follow, it is fatal! Questioning, Researching and Dreaming will be the path to true enlightenment...

Good post! :yes:

jtartar

Hello, For any who wants to know the meaning of faith, all we have to do is turn to Hebrews 11:1. Here is the official definition, right from God's mouth, through Paul.
There seems to be some difference betweem faith and belief, because the Bible says that even the demons believe. They sure do not have FAITH in God!!! James 2:19, Eph 6:11-13.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Just so.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Hello, For any who wants to know the meaning of faith, all we have to do is turn to Hebrews 11:1. Here is the official definition, right from God's mouth, through Paul.
There seems to be some difference betweem faith and belief, because the Bible says that even the demons believe. They sure do not have FAITH in God!!! James 2:19, Eph 6:11-13.

Thank you. I would only add that that is the official definition of followers of the Bible.

cardero

Citizen Mod
What is Faith?
Faith is the suspension of critical thinking in favor of a personal and/or preferential hope.