• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is freedom?

F0uad

Freedom is a word that doesn't apply to the real-world, its something we invented like Free-Speech. Its sounds beautiful but its not practical.

averageJOE

zombie
I was watching a documentary about Afghanistan the other night. On it, a young American soldier said he was 'fighting for freedom'.
What is freedom?

Note - The intention is not to discuss the Afghan or other wars but to investigate the concept of freedom.

Not trying to derail, but I can promise you if you asked that same soldier the same question while he was out of uniform and without a camera his answer would be different.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Freedom is a word that doesn't apply to the real-world, its something we invented like Free-Speech. Its sounds beautiful but its not practical.

I don't think I entirely agree, though I know what you mean. Freedom is a word thrown around so much that people often forget that the term and concept is meaningless unless there's something to be free from. In the case of free speech, the freedom is from the government telling you that you can't say this or that because it's offensive to the government, to people, to religious sentiments, etc. I fully support that freedom to the extent that it's enforced in the US: you can say whatever you want as long as it doesn't directly put others in danger, such as yelling FIRE in a crowded building. The US has a lot of problems, but the success of that freedom here to me demonstrates that it's perfectly practical.

Frankly I'd rather be offended by someone saying extraordinarily offensive and hurtful things, than have that person carted off by the government for saying them. Sure, the latter might be more satisfying, but it's far too easy to abuse.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Freedom is your right to work for less than a livable wage so that most of the wealth in a society can be expediently transferred from its underclass to its top 1% wealthiest members. You should hold that right sacred.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Freedom has its foundation in human dignity. Human nature, consisting of a rational intellect and the will to choose, requires for its true fulfilment that every person enjoys the freedom to be able to make up their own mind when they act and to live according to their conscience without fear of coercion or force ie

"...Man's personal dignity requires besides that he enjoy freedom and be able to make up his own mind when he acts. In his association with his fellows, therefore, there is every reason why his recognition of rights, observance of duties, and many-sided collaboration with other men, should be primarily a matter of his own personal decision. Each man should act on his own initiative, conviction, and sense of responsibility, not under the constant pressure of external coercion or enticement..."

- Blessed Pope John XXIII, Pacem in Terris
(ENCYCLICAL ON ESTABLISHING UNIVERSAL PEACE
IN TRUTH, JUSTICE, CHARITY, AND LIBERTY), 1963

For freedom to be "true" it must also, nonetheless, be within "moral constraints". No person can claim to legitimately exercise his freedom by infringing on the right to freedom of another person.

Freedom is therefore a dual value: it is both a "right" and a "duty".

The "right" to exercise one's own freedom and determine the course of one's own life, private beliefs, tastes, clothing, romantic relationships (or lack thereof) etc. and the "duty" to respect other peoples' equal right to do the same.

This value, prized from ancient times, has evolved and deepened over many centuries of human history as more and more people became aware of their inherent dignity as human beings and campaigned for their "freedom". Thus we have seen first male suffrage and political representation movements, working class rights movements, women's rights movements, racial equality campaigns and most recently campaigns by homosexual people to be free from discrimination based upon their sexuality. In Communist countries it took the form, primarily, of religious people campaigning for their right to practise their faith without molestation and discrimination from atheist dictatorships.

In this long history, wars and conflicts have sometimes been harbingers of greater freedom for example the Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights which came out of the American War of Independence, the abolition of the slave trade which Great Britain inaugurated in the wake of the Napoleonic Wars, the American Civil War which abolished the Southern slave states and "freed" African Americans from slavery, the wide enfranchisement of women which came about in the UK, Commonwealth and US after the First World War, the Second World War which led to the foundation of the United Nations and the Universal Declaration of Rights etc. So it is quite legitimate for a soldier to believe that he is "fighting for freedom" whether this be the freedom of his country to be independent and determine its own laws free from coercion by other states (such as in Empires or expansionist states), or to improve the human rights situation in the country he/she is fighting in or some other such objective.

Freedom or "liberty" is therefore the cornerstone of modern Western civilization, with its roots in Ancient Greece, the Renaissance and the Enlightenment and the most important value we hold. From this spring others such as "equality", "fairness", "justice" and so on.

Last edited:

Jamesbrice

I have readyour post and found it really nice and most interesting. I am totally agree with you and would like to say thanks to you that you share this post here with us. Keep it up.

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
I was watching a documentary about Afghanistan the other night. On it, a young American soldier said he was 'fighting for freedom'.
What is freedom?

Note - The intention is not to discuss the Afghan or other wars but to investigate the concept of freedom.

I believe true freedom is the ability to make choices and exercise free will within the boundaries set by our Maker and God. Since God created us, we are accountable to him. Self-determination, deciding for oneself what is good and bad, has led mankind into disaster. In contrast, living within the boundaries God sets leads to freedom from self-inflicted calamity and freedom from harming others, or being harmed by them. Thus, IMO, true freedom is relative freedom, not the right to choose to do whatever we want, without regard for the rights and welfare of others, and more importantly, without regard for the purposes and will of our Creator. (Romans 8:20,21)

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I believe true freedom is the ability to make choices and exercise free will within the boundaries set by our Maker and God. Since God created us, we are accountable to him. Self-determination, deciding for oneself what is good and bad, has led mankind into disaster. In contrast, living within the boundaries God sets leads to freedom from self-inflicted calamity and freedom from harming others, or being harmed by them. Thus, IMO, true freedom is relative freedom, not the right to choose to do whatever we want, without regard for the rights and welfare of others, and more importantly, without regard for the purposes and will of our Creator. (Romans 8:20,21)

When you can easily interchange "god" with "government", you can't call it "freedom".

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
With the risk of being taken out of context, I'll quote one of my visions for self freedom as it appears in Chapterhouse: Dune.

"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty."

Last edited:

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
What is freedom?

Those people aren't fighting for freedom, they're fighting for a change in rulership (namely America - or an american influenced government - being the new rulership).

It's a good question, however. What is freedom?

America often touts itself as the Land of the Free and uses words like Freedom with a capital F. But if an Arabian went to America with his multiple wives, he wouldn't be granted entry. Why? Because US Law states you can only have one wife. There are many American still against Same-Sex marriage and homosexuality (making them enemies of freedom).

So there's no Freedom there, there is only a certain range of permitted behaviour, which varies from regime to regime, government to government, country to country, religion to religion. But so far there has never been Freedom as the word itself implies: the ability to do whatever you want, whenever you want, with whomever you want.

The word 'freedom' at present, is like the word 'democracy', it's a con. It's put there to placate you and make you accept a given institution. But a nation that is truly free doesn't need to be told it is free. So, therefore, I have yet to see any free societies, people or countries on the planet earth.