• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God, from a non-human perspective?

Just_me_Mike

When you define God, it is always with your bias, experience, notions, culture etc...

Why can we not define God in such a way that excludes our inner feelings, thoughts, observations about what we hope, think, or dream God to be?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
As well as what Kilgore said, if God were to actually exist as normally thought of, he'd knew about the entire universe. Of which we are 1 small rock in over 200 billion billion. To quote Watchmen:

"Do you prefer red or black ants?"

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
The problem is that when we attempt to define god in a non human way we end up with an abstract non human god who doesn't really care about people or their lives...why would anyone want to worship such a deity anyway?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Ineffability renders the label god meaningless.
Not to me.
There is something beyond words in which I find myself existing. There is a wonder which I cannot describe. It flows through me and around me.
God is something to me. I am not suggesting that He is to you because clearly he is not.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Not to me.
There is something beyond words in which I find myself existing. There is a wonder which I cannot describe. It flows through me and around me.
God is something to me. I am not suggesting that He is to you because clearly he is not.

Many people lack the words to describe their experiences. This doesn't mean the words do not exist.

Jeremiah

When you define God, it is always with your bias, experience, notions, culture etc...

Why can we not define God in such a way that excludes our inner feelings, thoughts, observations about what we hope, think, or dream God to be?

"What is God, from a non-human perspective?"

How exactly does one define "God" from a non-human perspective? Should we ask a dog or, perhaps, a tree?

Twig pentagram

High Priest

I don't define the universe. I observe it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Because that's all we really are.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
But for G-d that's what it means: the words do not exist. Neither any something, nor even nothing, can describe G-d.

Then there's no way to know what it is that one is experiencing is god. Any vague, ambiguous, undefinable feeling/experience could be labeled as god. Although, come to think of, that's probably quite apt.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Then there's no way to know what it is that one is experiencing is god. Any vague, ambiguous, undefinable feeling/experience could be labeled as god. Although, come to think of, that's probably quite apt.
True, but I was just clarifying "ineffable".

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The problem is that when we attempt to define god in a non human way we end up with an abstract non human god who doesn't really care about people or their lives...why would anyone want to worship such a deity anyway?
Or totally cares about every single living thing and their lives. If it's non-human, it has to be the inverse of those people who don't care, too.