• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Good about Faith?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I'm not sure I understand. Why does faith make sense to feed spiritual hunger?

I don't quite get the comparisons with all of those other hungers.
Look at Purex's post. It dovetails with my statement that "faith is a spiritual construct." We have a spiritual need for "more." Faith is what defines that and helps us to understand our spiritual nature.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Look at Purex's post. It dovetails with my statement that "faith is a spiritual construct." We have a spiritual need for "more." Faith is what defines that and helps us to understand our spiritual nature.

OK, maybe it would help if you tell me your definition of "faith". What I mean by the word is "believing something with no evidence supporting it". To me, believing that we're all connected and that there are things you should do and things you shouldn't doesn't need faith. But I hear people all the time promoting faith as such a good thing in and of itself. I'm trying to make a distinction between "faith" and "belief in God". I'm not using them interchangeably for these purposes.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
This is an impossible question because it is asked from a pov that won't accept the evidence of those to whom it is addressed. :)

No, I mean many people find it good to believe certain things specifically when they don't have any evidence. They feel it's good to just believe anyway. That's what I'm wondering about.

sojourner

OK, maybe it would help if you tell me your definition of "faith". What I mean by the word is "believing something with no evidence supporting it". To me, believing that we're all connected and that there are things you should do and things you shouldn't doesn't need faith. But I hear people all the time promoting faith as such a good thing in and of itself. I'm trying to make a distinction between "faith" and "belief in God". I'm not using them interchangeably for these purposes.
I don't think most of the "faithful" would define "faith" as "belief w/o evidence.
You're almost setting up a straw man here.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I don't think most of the "faithful" would define "faith" as "belief w/o evidence.

No, that's why I'm being specific. It's not so much a strawman because many people who believe, would define it that way. I constantly hear people say things like "Well, you just have to have faith", among many other things.

Ringer

Jar of Clay

I agree that I don't believe many define faith in this way. I certainly don't have faith in God because I never saw any evidence of God's existence. I believe faith may be considered a virtue because, well, it's a hard struggle and something people battle with most days of their lives. It requires constant reinforcement, an intellectual struggle, and will give you almost certain ridicule at some point in your life. As I've said in previous threads, faith is holding onto to something your reason has already accepted despite your changing moods. Your reason would not have accepted this in the first place unless you had, what you thought, was good evidence.

jtartar

I ask this of anyone who believes that religious faith is a good thing. If you don't already believe that, then please leave it for those who do to respond

So, what is it about religious faith that's good? Basically, why do you feel it's a good thing to believe something with no evidence at all (and, yes, for these purposes, that leaves out personal experience as evidence)?

Mball,
We can read a very good reason for having faith at Heb 11:1-3,6.
You are very wrong when you say there is no evidence for faith in God's word. If you understand what God is telling man, and what He has done already, what He has purposed to do in the near future, you would have complete faith in His word. Almo9st one third of the Bible is prophecy. Every prophecy of God's has come true. Some of these prophecies are very longrange. Just as His other prophecies have come true we can be certain that these other ones will also.
Remember, Heb 11:1 says that faith is the ASSURED EXPECTATION of things. True Christians have complete faith in all that God's word says.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
That's hardly fair. This is a debate forum after all.....

Well yes, but if the topic is "If you believe in X then please answer this question" then it would make no sense for someone who doesn't believe in X to try and answer the question. You could, but it wouldn't be the answer that the questioner is looking for.

Diederick

The positive thing about faith is that it comforts people, regardless of being true or not. And in that is also its problem, if people get too comfortable, they don't let go so easily - not even if there are better alternatives available, which are actually true!

Wishful thinking, might be the better word for it.

cardero

Citizen Mod
What Is Good about Faith?

People rely on hope and faith just for the sake of relying on hope and faith. The only TRUE usage of these two words is that they make great names to give your children. That's about it. No entity has ever given ME reason why these words should hold TRUTH in any context for the development of their BEing.

HELLO IT’S ME: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: Belief, Faith, Hope And Joy
Pg: 168

I would also like to add that faith is an effective literary device to drive a story forward.

Last edited:

slave2six

Substitious
The positive thing about faith is that it comforts people, regardless of being true or not. And in that is also its problem, if people get too comfortable, they don't let go so easily - not even if there are better alternatives available, which are actually true!
It also has crippling effects in that many people (I can name twenty of my acquaintances off the top of my head who fit the bill) live in denial of facts (e.g. something in their life sucks) and say "God will see me through" rather than getting off their bums and doing those things that need to be done to make their own lives better.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
That's hardly fair. This is a debate forum after all.....

What does that have to do with anything? I want to know why people think faith is good, which means that people who don't think faith is good can't really answe the question, and I don't want people coming in and saying "faith is destructive or dangerous" or something like that. Threads are directed at certain groups all the time.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
For what it's worth, from the OED:
I. Belief, trust, confidence.

1. a. Confidence, reliance, trust (in the ability, goodness, etc., of a person; in the efficacy or worth of a thing; or in the truth of a statement or doctrine).​

sojourner

Wishful thinking, might be the better word for it.
Another postitive thing about faith is that it tries us, as well as comforts us.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
For what it's worth, from the OED:
I. Belief, trust, confidence.

1. a. Confidence, reliance, trust (in the ability, goodness, etc., of a person; in the efficacy or worth of a thing; or in the truth of a statement or doctrine).

I know there are many definitions, or variations on the definition of faith. That's why I specified the one I was talking about.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I know there are many definitions, or variations on the definition of faith. That's why I specified the one I was talking about.

Sadly, this tactic doesn't work too well on RF. Being clear and specific up front seems to be the most efficient way of drawing obfuscaters out of their holes.