• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is philosophy?

Pachomius

Philosophy is the discipline of reasoning to come to knowledge of everything in existence.

Dear colleagues here in philosophy forum, what do you say?

epronovost

the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline. The study of the theoretical basis of a particular branch of knowledge or experience.

PureX

Veteran Member
Philosophy is the discipline of reasoning to come to knowledge of everything in existence.

Not "knowledge", understanding. Philosophers propose and then debate, logically, the viability of different ways of understanding existence, and our place within it.

Pachomius

To be concise and clear, just say that:

Fourteen (14) words, see if you will produce a more concise definition of philosophy.

Why more concise?

So that we will not be wasteful with long-winded language.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Fourteen (14) words, see if you will produce a more concise definition of philosophy.

Why more concise?

Thinking about things..?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Philosophy is a diverse discipline how to think about knowledge, and best used to understand and put knowledge in context, and not knowledge to 'know' anything. The exception is the Logic of Math which is a seperate form of Logic, which is the tool box of science and everyday life..

For example: The Philosophy of Science does not reveal any new knowledge, but is the philosophy functions to put the methodology of science, Methodological Naturalism, and the evidence more functional and defendable of the evolving knowledge of science.

PureX

Veteran Member
Philosophy is the love of knowledge.
Knowledge is an illusion of surety that every philosopher recognizes as such. It is that recognition that led to philosophical proposition and debate in the first place.

If we had actual knowledge, we wouldn't need philosophy.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Knowledge is an illusion of surety that every philosopher recognizes as such. It is that recognition that led to philosophical proposition and debate in the first place.

. . . and everyone believes their right and their argument is proof.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I think that its a formalization of how to think about knowledge for the purpose of sharing the same knowledge with others. Philosophy is social, and it is formal.

If someone teaches philosophy its in hope that you can together reach conclusions or at least improve on the means of doing so.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Why more concise?

Less concise, I hope.

This is not a good definition of philosophy, nor one generally accepted. Philosophy is not concise except in the logic of math, and even then proofs may be useful or meaningless.

If you claim to or even hope to ]come to knowledge of everything in existence' you have achieved nothing. Conciseness in philosophy kills philosophy.

Popper the greatest philosopher in contemporary science determined that the theories of and hypothesis are never final and concise, but only falsified by the present state of the evidence, and may change in the future. Based on Popper's logic we will never find the Theory of everything, because there will always be unknowns beyond the present knowledge at any point in time.

Last edited:

Pachomius

No name-dropping please.

Just think reasonably on what to you is philosophy, on truths, facts, logic, and your knowledge of the history of ideas.

And say it in your very own words.

Please also abstain from giving links; if you appropriate the thought in a link, express it then in your own words, at least.

Let everyone just do his very own thinking and his very own writing.

If you would not want to appear so self-confident, then because you have done a lot of readings on what is philosophy, just add this phrase:

"From my own thinking and writing also after having surveyed the literature..."

But that is understood, unless you were born yesterday and came out only today into RF.

Less concise, I hope.

This is not a good definition of philosophy, nor one generally accepted. Philosophy is not concise except in the logic of math, and even then proofs may be useful or meaningless.

If you claim to or even hope to ]come to knowledge of everything in existence' you have achieved nothing. Conciseness in philosophy kills philosophy.

Popper the greatest philosopher in contemporary science determined that the theories of and hypothesis are never final and concise, but only falsified by the present state of the evidence, and my change in the future. Based on Popper's logic we will never find the Theory of everything, because there will always be unknowns beyond the present knowledge at any point in time.

MNoBody

From my perspectivein brief,
philosophy as a term has meant the love of wisdom.
An activity engaged in by those people who have fallen in love with wisdom.
[which is much different from being wise in one's own eyes, or being narcissistic ]
But, what then is 'Love', and what is 'Wisdom'.
more terminology
more map making
but [remember, they said] the map is not the territory.
it is just a rough guide, hope it helps.
bon chance mon ami.

Pachomius

Here is again my concise and clear definition of what is philosophy:

What words do you, dear colleagues here in philosophy forum, want to talk about in that concise and clear definition of what is philosophy.

[Philosophy]
is
the
discipline
of
reasoning
to
come
to
knowledge
of
everything
in
existence.

Fourteen words (14).

Tell me, dear colleagues in philosophy forum, does your definition of philosophy inform readers on what is philosophy at all?

Is it a bird, an airplane, Superman, a baby, a rose by any other name?

Agnostisch

Egyptian Man
Philosophy is a form of organized, conceptual thinking that has the ability to move one's own thinking through the identification and formulation of problems, that is, Philosophy is, by nature, problematizing, avoiding providing ready answers to the questions raised and creating new questions, new questions and new problems that cause thought never ceases its cycle of existence.