• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is philosophy?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
No name-dropping please.

Just think reasonably on what to you is philosophy, on truths, facts, logic, and your knowledge of the history of ideas.

And say it in your very own words.

Please also abstain from giving links; if you appropriate the thought in a link, express it then in your own words, at least.

Let everyone just do his very own thinking and his very own writing.

If you would not want to appear so self-confident, then because you have done a lot of readings on what is philosophy, just add this phrase:

"From my own thinking and writing also after having surveyed the literature..."

But that is understood, unless you were born yesterday and came out only today into RF.

I have studied philosophy for 50 years plus and I am less confident than you concerning the goals of the study of philosophy than you do. Certainty is not an attribute of philosophy. Only a limited degree is certain in science.

Name dropping?!?!? Describing what major philosophies develop and contribute to philosophy is part of the game.

Last edited:

Pachomius

{From Pachomius, #1}
Philosophy is the discipline of reasoning to come to knowledge of everything in existence.
Dear colleagues here in philosophy forum, what do you say?
{end quote}

{From Sunstone, #21}
The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko
Be yourself.; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Raise your words not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. -- Rumi
Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. -- Rumi
Sapere aude! "Dare to think for yourself!" -- Immanuel Kant
{end quote}

Of course you are entitled from free speech to display your having read dead authors.

What I want is for members here in philosophy forum to do their very own thinking about what is philosophy, and produce the most concise and clear definition of what is philosophy, in one's own words - please.

I say philosophy is a discipline, that means that people without any discipline should not even talk about what is philosophy, because they are coming from nowhere and going nowhere.

I say, Philosophy is the discipline of reasoning to come to knowledge of everything in existence.

And I also will say about what is science, here below:

Science is the discipline of experimenting to come to knowledge of everything in existence.

What about sports?

Here, from me:

Sports is the discipline of bodily exertion to come to the perfection of one's body.

Et cetera.

Please, everyone, just seek to produce the most concise and clear definition of what is philosophy, from your own thinking, and of course including your stock knowledge based on having read specially living philosophers, and not discounting though the departed ones - still taking care to not get all buried with them.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Done that already. It is not what Philosophy is. It is what you do with it.

"Philosophy is a diverse discipline how to think about knowledge, and best used to understand and put knowledge in context, and not knowledge to 'know' anything. The exception is the Logic of Math which is a seperate form of Logic, which is the tool box of science and everyday life..

For example: The Philosophy of Science does not reveal any new knowledge, but is the philosophy functions to put the methodology of science, Methodological Naturalism, and the evidence more functional and defendable of the evolving knowledge of science."

Pachomius

Dear shunyadragon, have you given your attention on how to produce a definition of what is philosophy that is concise and clear, I am still waiting - say, in less than thirty (30) words?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Philosophy the human reasoning to enquire how to copy God the stone existing, as a reasoning to be "as God".

Involving reasoning on how to remove God, so that you the Creator can then put God back as a natural body.

Philosophy, I am the Creator says the male scientist.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have studied philosophy for 50 years plus and I am less confident than you concerning the goals of the study of philosophy than you do. Certainty is not an attribute of philosophy. Only a limited degree is certain in science.
“We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!” - Vroomfondel

Heyo

Veteran Member
Philosophy is the discipline of reasoning to come to knowledge of everything in existence.

Philosophy (noun, singular):
1. The academic study of ideas expressed by long dead men (and occasional woman)
2. (often called "Armchair Philosophy") Thinking about random things that go through ones mind (often without the knowledge of the tools long dead men have provided).

Sp0ckrates

Given that the Father of Philosophy said, “Wonder is the feeling of a philosopher, and philosophy begins in wonder” (Theatetus), one might simply say philosophy is the result of wonder.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Given that the Father of Philosophy said, “Wonder is the feeling of a philosopher, and philosophy begins in wonder” (Theatetus), one might simply say philosophy is the result of wonder.

Philosophy is more the thinking human motivated by the wonder and curiosity of our existence.

Last edited:

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Another translation says "Love of Wisdom".
And it is not considered wise to change the only ONE body upon which you live....yet science the "not wise" do.

The stable status for our heavenly body is for the gases that own God the stone to remain with Earth.....the Nobility. Which historically as holiness begins with the exact body space/womb with the gases sitting in that space. Historic holiness, the wisdom....so never change it.

The wisdom of philosophy said womb space, coldest, highest body birthed the Noble gases.

In that statement there is no room for change.