• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is spiritual enlightenment?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think mind and its contents can be separated. I am a construct of my mind.
The egoic "I" is a construct of mental objects, self-reflections, ideas, frameworks, etc. It is the "idea" me.

But you are aware that you can see that as an observer, correct? And if you are seeing this egoic "I", the mental construct "I", then you are not that "I" because who is it seeing it then? "You" exist outside of it, and are looking at it and saying "this is not me". Yet you are. Yet you exist and observe and see. Who is that "I" seeing then, if it's not the "I" we have in mind when we think "this is me"?

In other words, you are not who you think you are. You still exist and know and see, even when you do not identify with that bundle that serves as the set of eyes you normally see through, the filters or lens our social and cultural contextual world.

I wholly accept that one can get lost in a mystical moment but by definition that mystical moment when one is in some sense absent or fallen away can never be 'mine' because 'I' was not there.
I very much disagree we get lost in mystical states. We are more present and self-aware than at any other time. What happens is we drop off the false self, the identification with our thoughts and ideas. We awaken. It is a state of the superconscious mind, not a stupor or delirium. You are there the entire time, fully there, fully awake, but the I that is there is the Seer, not the false self, the small self of mental ideas of self. It is stripping off that cloak as it were, and there is no exclusive identification with those as the true I, anymore than awareness of your body is an exclusive identification. The center of gravity shifts above the ego self, just as the ego self shifts the center of gravity above exclusive body self identification.

I can never get past my mind. My 'I' is a prisoner of subjectivity.
I would agree the mind the seat of Awareness, but a prisoner to subjectivity? No. At the point of pure Awareness, divisions of subject and object do not exist.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
On the contrary, I am nothing other than I think I am
Who are you when your thoughts are still? What are you when you are not your thoughts?

I'll quote a favorite sutra of mine, which is my personal mantra.

"Wanting nothing, with all the heart,
Stop the stream.

When the world dissolves,
Everything becomes clear".

This is not mere poetry, but an actual description of what happens.

Then where is the I?
This is why it is referred to as the Self, with a capital S. You are Consciousness. The I is every-where, and no-where.