• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the best argument for an atheist?

Orias

Left Hand Path
if i may,
i think the inborn drive is to seek comfort, it's a defense mechanism.

I agree.

So then would it also be agreeable to assume that belief in a higher being is an inborn drive, or rather a subset of it?

You made a very good point.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
But if its a nature isn't is an inborn drive?

If it exists within the mind, and emerges from the mind, isn't it natural intuition?

Things exist for reason, if there was no reason for an existence, then it would not exist.
Lot's of unnecessary things exist.

Chindogus are the perfect example.

Just a sample:
chindogu2.jpg

The amazing baby floor duster!

chindogu2.jpg

Because this is so much better than putting tissue in your pocket!

psr1.jpg

Do I need to elaborate?

Ben Masada

What is the best argument for an atheist?

Usually the first thing and only thing that comes to mind is prove it! Prove god exist!

Is that the only argument atheists have or is there something better? When I see this argument I see an argument that isn’t very well thought out or designed. Since an atheist has no grounds of belief to stand is it normal for them to criticize other people’s religion to buff up their own lack of philosophical views and beliefs?

Also if you can think of some other atheist arguments go ahead and add them to this thread. I would like to see some other out of the ordinary arguments made by atheist.

Well, here is a good one. I think.

Fighting Two Fronts

Turnorburn, I am here. Just happened to arrive. But I am neither for you nor for Atheists. Although my double-edged sword can cut both ways, I need no Christian help with Atheists. So, if you can't take the heat, you might choose now to leave the kitchen, before the cooking starts.

Well, my dear hosts, you have become famous for the cliche that God does not exist. I have news for you. I am ready to become an Atheist. Yes, just like you; as soon as you tell me where the Universe comes from. I mean, how the Universe came about without a Creator or the Primal Mover, to coin Philosophical rhetoric.

And please, do not discard my question as nonsense or tell me that you don't know, because Atheism itself will lose all its raison d'etre. One cannot discard an axiom if he can't replace it with an option. If you choose to look at my question as too simplistic, you might take that way out, as long as you leave with it; and I mean, leave and not live.

There are two psalms for Atheists in the Bible, which the Psalmist, ironically, wrote twice, ipsisssima verba. By mistake or on purpose, I'll let you figure. They are Psalms 14 and 53. But I believe the Psalmist's message is for Atheists who have no option to God's non-existence.

Well, you are in. Let us get down to business about the issue of the Universe without a Creator, will ya?

Ben

gnomon

I still think the best reasoning for an atheist lies in the definition itself. Nothing more needed.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Well, here is a good one. I think.

Fighting Two Fronts

Turnorburn, I am here. Just happened to arrive. But I am neither for you nor for Atheists. Although my double-edged sword can cut both ways, I need no Christian help with Atheists. So, if you can't take the heat, you might choose now to leave the kitchen, before the cooking starts.

Well, my dear hosts, you have become famous for the cliche that God does not exist. I have news for you. I am ready to become an Atheist. Yes, just like you; as soon as you tell me where the Universe comes from. I mean, how the Universe came about without a Creator or the Primal Mover, to coin Philosophical rhetoric.

And please, do not discard my question as nonsense or tell me that you don't know, because Atheism itself will lose all its raison d'etre. One cannot discard an axiom if he can't replace it with an option. If you choose to look at my question as too simplistic, you might take that way out, as long as you leave with it; and I mean, leave and not live.

There are two psalms for Atheists in the Bible, which the Psalmist, ironically, wrote twice, ipsisssima verba. By mistake or on purpose, I'll let you figure. They are Psalms 14 and 53. But I believe the Psalmist's message is for Atheists who have no option to God's non-existence.

Well, you are in. Let us get down to business about the issue of the Universe without a Creator, will ya?

Ben
Tell me where God came from, and maybe we can talk.

Besides, just because we might not know something now, doesn't mean we should just make up some answer for it. That's the sort of reasoning that used to ascribe lightning and rain to gods. Give us some time, and we figured out weather. Give us some more time, and we can probably figure out the universe too.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I agree.

So then would it also be agreeable to assume that belief in a higher being is an inborn drive, or rather a subset of it?

You made a very good point.

thanx!!! :rainbow1:

belief in a higher being is one of the many symptoms of this inborn drive.

Ben Masada

Tell me where God came from, and maybe we can talk.

Besides, just because we might not know something now, doesn't mean we should just make up some answer for it. That's the sort of reasoning that used to ascribe lightning and rain to gods. Give us some time, and we figured out weather. Give us some more time, and we can probably figure out the universe too.

I asked first. To answer with a question is not an answer. So, when you have a satisfactory answer to my question, let me know and I will tell you where God comes from.
Ben

What other argument could there be? The other replies are saying that simple thing;"PROVE IT" They are just being wordier. "PROVE IT" is the only argument an Atheist needs. I would love to be a "TRUE" believer. I am not. I am uncertain of what I am. I will respond to caring Christians who write simply and want to help me. I am asking you to. Thanks!

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I asked first. To answer with a question is not an answer. So, when you have a satisfactory answer to my question, let me know and I will tell you where God comes from.
Ben
You ignored the rest of my post, namely, that just because we don't know something doesn't mean that we should make up something to explain it.

I know for a fact that the universe exists. I have seen no evidence for the existence of God. Therefore, if I had to choose, it makes much more sense for me to believe the universe just always existed, rather than to believe that a God has always existed and created the universe.

Orias

Left Hand Path
What other argument could there be? The other replies are saying that simple thing;"PROVE IT" They are just being wordier. "PROVE IT" is the only argument an Atheist needs. I would love to be a "TRUE" believer. I am not. I am uncertain of what I am. I will respond to caring Christians who write simply and want to help me. I am asking you to. Thanks!

Why does anyone need an argument?

Its evident enough that both sides already deny the Opposition's proposition, without evaluating and understanding the phsychological and sociological aspect of it.

The belief in one thing, is an act in itself, out of irrationality. To rationalize the subject, all concepts must be understood and accepted as existing, because they do.

"Divine" is relevant to existence, because it exists. You can neither deny, nor argue perception. So leave it be.

Muri27

Oke.. lets give this a go. and sorry about the horrid english, not my first language.

I am not an athiest nor a church believer, i am someone who looks at things and make up their OWN mind.

I will try to explain this on my own way, but people often refuse to look at a point from a 3rd person.

If this so called god was trully existent and is such a all knowing perfect Being.

-why is your faith based on where you life and was born?
People don't make a choice what to believe it was spoon fed as they grew up.

-why does god let this world be such a horrid place, surely he should let all the good christians live in eden while we (the wicked non-belivers) should rot in in our sinfull ways?

- the whole Bible talk about the afterlife, the life you have now does not mean anything and you have to do whatever it takes to get into heaven.

This is the sole reason why i dont buy the man made god story, you are nothing more than slaves during your life and thus dont want to make the best of the world here, and thus making this world not any better.

but.. i also have a good friend with a mother who's husband left her and has 2 children who have autism, she gets her strenght and will to keep on going no matter what from the bible, this is absolutely wonderfull...

So yes the bible does do good in the world.
But still more bad than good in my oppinion

so here is my question: do you think the world would be better with or without a bible?

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Oke.. lets give this a go. and sorry about the horrid english, not my first language.

I am not an athiest nor a church believer, i am someone who looks at things and make up their OWN mind.

I will try to explain this on my own way, but people often refuse to look at a point from a 3rd person.

If this so called god was trully existent and is such a all knowing perfect Being.

-why is your faith based on where you life and was born?
People don't make a choice what to believe it was spoon fed as they grew up.

-why does god let this world be such a horrid place, surely he should let all the good christians live in eden while we (the wicked non-belivers) should rot in in our sinfull ways?

- the whole Bible talk about the afterlife, the life you have now does not mean anything and you have to do whatever it takes to get into heaven.

This is the sole reason why i dont buy the man made god story, you are nothing more than slaves during your life and thus dont want to make the best of the world here, and thus making this world not any better.

but.. i also have a good friend with a mother who's husband left her and has 2 children who have autism, she gets her strenght and will to keep on going no matter what from the bible, this is absolutely wonderfull...

So yes the bible does do good in the world.
But still more bad than good in my oppinion

so here is my question: do you think the world would be better with or without a bible?

Interesting post.

But, I think a better question would be, would the world be better with or without Jesus?

The bible is irrelevant to any scruitiny (some what), since all different types of people interperate it all different types of ways.

Though some people tend to follow a more "insidious" path.

People are too busy with external propositions of divinity...

What of us? Do we not dictate and label and define existences?

WE, are the ones, who created "knowledge". And by that I mean, interpretation, perception, wisdom, and curiosity.

"God exists" (from an external and dictative view), yet we (him) give ourselves the ability to excuse our own incontinence. I think that leaves a huge view yet to be acknowledged and accepted.

But you know...those damned Satanists kill babies!!! :run: