• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Bible?

jimb

Premium Member
What protestant think is irrelevant as they believe things that aren't even in the Bible like the two solas. The canon of scripture was established in 382 at the council of Rome and reaffirmed at Hippo 393, Carthage 397, and Florence 1442. No on questioned that until Luther decided he disagreed with the Bible. Protestants arent good interpretors of scripture.
:sweatsmile: Protestants, including myself, believe what the Bible says. We consider it to be the very word of God, expressed through human authors.

There are five solas, all of which are accurate descriptions of true, complete faith.

Martin Luther did not disagree with the Bible. In fact, he corrected the heresies of the Catholic denomination. He believed in the truths expressed in the Bible -- God's word -- not the distorted, bloated religion of the Catholic denomination.

jimb

Premium Member
The compendium generally understood as the Holy Bible can be considered schizophrenic, as it combines the Hebrew Bible with the Christian Bible, with the Christian Bible largely using quotations from the Greek Septuagint. Moreover, it is a religious affront to Jews to refer to the Hebrew Bible as the Old Testament, implying it is outdated, no longer in effect, and surpassed.
Seriously??? Your description of "the Christian Bible" is totally wrong. The Bible that Christians use is composed of the Old Testament and the New Testament. (Some denominations include the Apochrypha.)

The Septuagint was the Bible in use in the Greek-speaking eastern Mediterranean, and it was created for Greek-speaking Jews. The Bible (scrolls) read in the synagogue were in Hebrew.

The Old Testament are those "books" that refer to the old covenant. The New Testament are those books that refer to the new covenant. Christians use both.

If some Jews are offended, that is unfortunate. Jesus (Yeshua) was a practicing Jew, and ALL the first "Christians" were Jews.

The entire Bible was written by Jews
(with one single exception: Luke). If you are offended by what Jews have written, that is unfortunate and unfounded.

jimb

Premium Member
The resolution of the council wasn't part of Paul's message to the Galatians:

And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we [should go] unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
Only [they would] that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.
Galatians 2:9-10
James (the Lord's brother), Cephas (a.k.a Peter), and John were all Jews, as was Paul (a.k.a. Saul). Paul was chosen to bring the gospel to the Gentiles and the Jews in the Mediterranean region; the others ministered to the Jews in Jerusalem and Palestine.

jimb

Premium Member
All religions must be respected in their particulars and especially in their sacred writings. The Hebrew Bible is the sacred book of the Jews (without the use of gentilic and pagan terms to refer to it), the Greek Bible ("New Testament" with its citations from the Septuagint) is that of the Christians, and the Arabic Quran of Islam, as are all other sacred writings in the languages of the peoples of the world. Each should be interpreted in its native language. Here's what I think.

I cannot use the Novum Testamentum Graece, the Latin title for the critical or eclectic edition of the New Testament text in Koine Greek, developed through textual criticism and officially published by the German Bible Society (Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft), to impose my own conceptions, beliefs, and ideologies on variant texts to the Greek Orthodox Church, which uses the Greek edition from the Patriarchate of Constantinople of 1904.

It would be another example...
Close. The Christian Bible contains the entire Old Testament and the New Testament (and some denominations include the Apochrypha).

jimb

Premium Member

What is the Bible?​

It's a big book with lots of stories in it!!!!!
All religions must be respected in their particulars and especially in their sacred writings. The Hebrew Bible is the sacred book of the Jews (without the use of gentilic and pagan terms to refer to it), the Greek Bible ("New Testament" with its citations from the Septuagint) is that of the Christians, and the Arabic Quran of Islam, as are all other sacred writings in the languages of the peoples of the world. Each should be interpreted in its native language. Here's what I think.

I cannot use the Novum Testamentum Graece, the Latin title for the critical or eclectic edition of the New Testament text in Koine Greek, developed through textual criticism and officially published by the German Bible Society (Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft), to impose my own conceptions, beliefs, and ideologies on variant texts to the Greek Orthodox Church, which uses the Greek edition from the Patriarchate of Constantinople of 1904.

It would be another example...
Close. The Christian Bible contains the entire Old Testament and the New Testament (and some denominations include the Apochrypha).

Ebionite

Paul was chosen to bring the gospel to the Gentiles
Chosen by who?

Peter's vision:

And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
Acts 10:28

jimb

Premium Member
Chosen by who?

Peter's vision:

And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
Acts 10:28
Seriously???

Read Acts 9...

He was chosen by someone named Jesus Christ!

He was traveling on the road to Damascus when he was personally commissioned to bring the gospel to the Gentiles (and also Jews).

Do you really not know this?

Last edited:

Ebionite

He was traveling on the road to Damascus when he was personally commissioned to bring the gospel to the Gentiles (and also Jews).
You're conflating what Paul said happened with what actually happened.

And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: [it is] hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord [said] unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
Acts 9:3-6

jimb

Premium Member
Seriously??? READ YOUR BIBLE!

Acts 9:15 clearly says what Paul was personally commissioned by the Lord to do.

STOP WASTING MY TIME.

Last edited:

Ebionite

Acts 9:15 clear says what Paul was personally commissioned by the Lord to do.
No, that information was given to Ananias, not to Paul.

But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
Acts 9:15

What Paul was told to do was:

And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, [even] Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
Acts 9:17

What Ananias told Paul is quite different to what Paul says that he was told:

At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.
And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? [it is] hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
Delivering thee from the people, and [from] the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
To open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Acts 26:13-18

jimb

Premium Member
No, that information was given to Ananias, not to Paul.

But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
Acts 9:15

What Paul was told to do was:
And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, [even] Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
Acts 9:17

What Ananias told Paul is quite different to what Paul says that he was told:

At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.
And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? [it is] hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
Delivering thee from the people, and [from] the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
To open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Acts 26:13-18
Stop your legalistic nonsense! You want your foolish legalism corrected? THE LORD NEVER SPOKE IN ARCHAIC ENGLYSHE, SO ANYTHING THAT YOU SAY THAT ANANIAS OR JESUS OR PAUL SAID IS WRONG!

Paul was commissioned by Jesus Christ to go to the Gentiles. That is what the Bible says in Acts 26:17-18. Period.

Are you calling the Lord Jesus Christ a liar???

If you want to continue this discussion, FACE FACTS.

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member
Paul is considered by myself and many others to be the greatest of the apostles. After being personally commissioned by Jesus Christ, he wrote more of the New Testament than anyone else.

If anyone wants to acquire a firm foundation of Christian belief, there is no better section of the entire Bible than Paul's writings.

Ebionite

Stop your legalistic nonsense!
It's time for you to deal with the fact that Paul was a liar.

Paul's account in Acts 26 disagrees with the account in Acts 9 regarding what Paul was told, where he was told it, and who told him.