• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is the Meaning Of Stigmata?

gnostic

The Lost One
lamplighter said:
I'd believe in spontaneous combustion before stigmata. It's probably self inflicted, open sores don't randomly appear and even IF it somehow was of a divine nature, why would it happen anyway?

It would seem to be pretty pointless.

If it is real, then what is the divine "purpose" of copying Jesus' wounds?

If it is just a facade, then all does, is just cheapened the religion or faith.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I thought "Stigmata" was the pokey bits in the flower with all the pollen on it...

the male sex organ of the flower...

I thought that's why when there's a sitgma about mental illness, for example, it's making you stick out.

So either there's an additional meaning that maybe has nothing to do with the origins of the word, OR I'm severely mistaken....

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
The stigma is the sticky part of the flower that sticks out to receive pollen, the stamen is the male organ that produces pollen.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
a minor friar: Stigmata

What religious or spiritual significance do stigmata have? When Francis received the stigmata of Christ, what did that mean?

I'm genuinely confused about the religious or spiritual meaning of stigmata. Help!
Never given it a thought, but do think it sets the stage for a good movie.....I think that there can be an explanation for this phenomenona but I don't think it is valid as a religious experience.
If indeed Jesus went through the crucifixion, I see no valid reason why it would have to be duplicated as a sign for the believer or a non believer.

weeman2682

Sith Lord
Never given it a thought, but do think it sets the stage for a good movie.....I think that there can be an explanation for this phenomenona but I don't think it is valid as a religious experience.
If indeed Jesus went through the crucifixion, I see no valid reason why it would have to be duplicated as a sign for the believer or a non believer.

Iagree it does make a good film, I think there is a medical and/or psycological reason it just has'nt been found yet i would love to be proved otherwise. I have read somewhere that when Padre Pio was examined by a medical proffesional he was found to have used or was using iodine on the wounds to make the appearance of the stigmata appear to last longer, im sure this is mentioned in the film aswell. There has also been evidence that when people were nailed to the cross they were nailed through the heel or ankle bone not the top of the feet and also as someone said the hands would tear under the weight so it would have been the wrist or lower forearm, the romans only nailed serious criminals or lawbreakers to the cross the rest were tied to it.