• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the nature of agnostic conviction?

jmca_online

I am a student and am currently investigating the reasons for secular beliefs, in specific agnosticism. I realise that a great deal of agnostic uncertainty or certainty in the inherently unknowable is due to the weakness of the theistic case, but if there are any other reasons that might account for this conviction please reply (its for an assignment). Perhaps it may be desire to explore different ideas but even this has roots in the former; since this exploration may be derived from a dissatisfaction of the theistic case. Oh and I have considered previous experience as a contributing factor but lacking first hand accounts so they would be much appreciated too. Feel free to express youself, no matter how verbose and extended or succinct, i will be happy to read responses. Enclose necessary details for a proper acknowledgement, otherwise you will be referred to by your username.

N.B. please do not get too hung up on technicalities i.e. the whole 'what exactly agnostics believe in' because i acknowledge that there are differring degrees of agnosticism. rather please limit responses to the nature of these beliefs as outlined above. thanks.

If god cannot not be proven, except in the sense that it flows through everything. We fit so undeniably perfect into this world. That it hard to deny the existence of something greater something better, but it cant be proven, therefore illogical and therefore how can you acknowledge it as an altruism. But even if God existed why would he want to be worshipped. He wouldnt even care about this insignificant part of the universe.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi jmca_online,

Welcome to the forum!

I won't anser your question, as I am a Christian,
but I hope you'll hang around after you have your answer.......

This forum is full of fun amd good people; You might just get hooked!;)

Ormiston

jmca_online said:
I am a student and am currently investigating the reasons for secular beliefs, in specific agnosticism. I realise that a great deal of agnostic uncertainty or certainty in the inherently unknowable is due to the weakness of the theistic case, but if there are any other reasons that might account for this conviction please reply (its for an assignment). Perhaps it may be desire to explore different ideas but even this has roots in the former; since this exploration may be derived from a dissatisfaction of the theistic case. Oh and I have considered previous experience as a contributing factor but lacking first hand accounts so they would be much appreciated too. Feel free to express youself, no matter how verbose and extended or succinct, i will be happy to read responses. Enclose necessary details for a proper acknowledgement, otherwise you will be referred to by your username.
My reason, I believe, has less to do with the logic of this theistic case and more to do with my dissappointment in the experience. The one important quality I discovered missing from my peers was faith. I actually felt like a fool being the new kid at the church and taking it as seriously as I did. I was eight years old. Once I reached my teen years and quit going, my ideals shifted even further away from the Christian ideals and I started relying more and more on my own conclusions until, as an adult, I reached a state of complete confidence and security with my own faith; a faith centered around the falibility of people and a complete acceptance of this falibility.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
jmca_online said:
I realise that a great deal of agnostic uncertainty or certainty in the inherently unknowable is due to ...
You may wish to think about that phrase before continuing ... :biglaugh:

... and welcome.

Deut 13:1

Deut. 10:19 said:
You may wish to think about that phrase before continuing ... :biglaugh:

... and welcome.
To my knowledge, an agnostic is someone who chooses not to believe because he/she believes there not to be enough evidence one way or another to come to a conclusion.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An agnostic doesn't necessarily make a conscious choice to be agnostic, he just acknowledges ignorance of the subject in question.

I'm agnostic of the capitol of Uruguay, but I didn't choose to be so.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Seyorni is correct here, I believe you mean to ask, "Why do Atheists beieve in their disbelief?".

An agnostic doesn't disbelieve as much as denies knowledge of.

evantbeth

I don't CHOOSE not believe in God, just as I don't CHOOSE not believe in Santa Clause. I just don't. The reason religions rely on blind faith so much is because it can't withstand the light of honest evaluation.
Binyamin said:
To my knowledge, an agnostic is someone who chooses not to believe because he/she believes there not to be enough evidence one way or another to come to a conclusion.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
evantbeth said:
The reason religions rely on blind faith so much is because it can't withstand the light of honest evaluation.
It would be best to move this discussion out of the introductions forum and into a debate forum where it can be properly engaged.

Perhaps you could start a new thread titled "My juvenile attack on religions." :)

evantbeth

Okay, you made me laugh. So why do you think religions squelch honest questioning?

Deut. 10:19 said:
It would be best to move this discussion out of the introductions forum and into a debate forum where it can be properly engaged. Perhaps you could start a new thread titled "My juvenile attack on religions."

QTpi

Mischevious One
Hi, jmca_online. Welcome to Religious Forums. We're happy to have you with us and hope you enjoy your stay.:jiggy:

jmca_online

I am a student and am currently investigating the reasons for secular beliefs, in specific agnosticism. I realise that a great deal of agnostic uncertainty or certainty in that somethings are inherently unknowable is due to the weakness of the theistic case, but if there are any other reasons that might account for this conviction please reply (its for an assignment). Perhaps it may be desire to explore different ideas but even this has roots in the former; since this exploration may be derived from a dissatisfaction of the theistic case. Oh and I have considered previous experience as a contributing factor but lacking first hand accounts so they would be much appreciated too. Feel free to express youself, no matter how verbose and extended or succinct, i will be happy to read responses. Enclose necessary details for a proper acknowledgement, otherwise you will be referred to by your username.

N.B. please do not get too hung up on technicalities i.e. the whole 'what exactly agnostics believe in' because i acknowledge that there are differring degrees and different types of agnosticism. rather please limit responses to the nature of these beliefs as outlined above. thanks. btw if its not too much trouble please outline your specific agnostic disposition as well before answering the question.

standing_alone

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for. I'm confused about what you're exactly looking for. I take Agnosticism to mean what my dictionary says: one who believes that knowledge of God is impossible. I was raised Christian (WELS Lutheran - makes me shudder just thinking of those old times) and throughout my tenure as a Christian, I always found myself questioning the faith itself along with my own faith. After years of serious thought (like: if there's one true God, why are there so many religions? If there's God and creation, how come science proves it all but wrong, etc. etc. etc.) and after loss of faith, I came to the conclusion that it is impossible to prove that God exsists or doesn't exsist - but I follow the line that: You can't prove that God doesn't exsist, but you can prove it very unlikely. So for me, my agnosticism is summed up like this: Humankind cannot conclusively claim that God does or does not exsist. I myself acknowledge the possibility of a God, but don't find the existence of a God very likely. Instead of suscribing to a theology, I'm just going to live my life without fearing a "jealous God." It gives me a more meaningful life than just being a robot or puppet for a God. Hope this helps and my apologies if it doesn't.