• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the religious definition of eternity?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Here you go!

The God of the Bible is corporeal :)

(Topical Guide | G God, Body of—Corporeal Nature:Entry)

God, Body of—Corporeal Nature (see also Man, A Spirit Child of Heavenly Father; Man, Physical Creation of)
Gen. 1:27 (Moses 2:27) God created man in his own image
Gen. 5:1 God created man, in the likeness of God made he him
Gen. 9:6 in the image of God made he man
Gen. 18:33 Lord went his way, as soon as he had left communing
Gen. 32:30 I have seen God face to face
Ex. 24:10 they saw the God of Israel, there was under his feet
Ex. 31:18 (Deut. 9:10) written with the finger of God
Ex. 33:11 Lord spake unto Moses face to face
Ex. 33:23 thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen
Num. 12:8 With him will I speak mouth to mouth
Matt. 3:17 a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son
Matt. 4:4 every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God
Matt. 17:5 a voice out of the cloud
Luke 24:39 for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have
John 14:9 he that hath seen me hath seen the Father
Acts 7:56 the Son of man standing on the right hand of God
Rom. 8:29 predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son
2 Cor. 4:4 Christ, who is the image of God
Philip. 2:6 who, being in the form of God
Philip. 3:21 our vile body ... fashioned like unto his glorious body
Col. 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God
Heb. 1:3 the express image of his person
James 3:9 men which are made after the similitude of God
1 Jn. 3:2 when he shall appear, we shall be like him
Rev. 22:4 they shall see his face

So you're saying according to the Bible, God has substance?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Well, if He wasn't a real guy, then he wouldn't be real, now would He? :D

Well according to doctrinal philosophy one does not have to be real in the sense of substance to exist. From my understanding of the bible in Genesis, it was quite clear that God is incorporeal as his "spirit hovered over the waters."

idea

Question Everything
Well according to doctrinal philosophy one does not have to be real in the sense of substance to exist. From my understanding of the bible in Genesis, it was quite clear that God is incorporeal as his "spirit hovered over the waters."

I'm not a trinitarian (not a JW either), so I believe that Jesus was not praying to Himself, (not my will, but my other will be done????) that God, Jesus, and the Spirit are three different personages (and that the Spirit does not have a body of flesh and bone like God and Jesus do) - I think most people complicate it too much.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I'm not a trinitarian (not a JW either), so I believe that Jesus was not praying to Himself, (not my will, but my other will be done????) that God, Jesus, and the Spirit are three different personages (and that the Spirit does not have a body of flesh and bone like God and Jesus do)

Um, I'm confused.....You say God and Jesus had flesh and bone?

idea

Question Everything
Um, I'm confused.....You say God and Jesus had flesh and bone?

(New Testament | Luke 24:38 - 43)
38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

That's what it says :)

roger1440

I do stuff
Every religious person that I've ever met describes the god of the bible as being eternal and that he is not bound by space, time, and matter. With that said, I would like to get the opinion of religious people (or non-religious) as to what exactly eternity is? This question is intended to get people to think critically. I will respond to your answer with a follow-up question that will further my reasoning behind the original question. All responses are appreciated! Thanks!
Being totally in the now. Now has no beginning or end. Now have no regrets or goals. It is sufficient unto itself. It is only from here we can grasp eternity.

roger1440

I do stuff
Yes - He's a real guy, we're made in His image and all that :yes: He's a person, with hands, feet, face, fingers etc. etc. a few people have seen Him.
How do you know this? You can not use the Bible to prove the Bible.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
(New Testament | Luke 24:38 - 43)
38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

That's what it says :)

Hath NOT I assume, it means does not.....

"For a spirit hath not (does not) flesh and bones, as ye see me have....."

I am not following you. Now, unless I'm getting a mixed up please explain where in that verse you get the idea that GOD the creator of all things is said to have flesh and bone? Unless you are saying God and Jesus are the same.

idea

Question Everything

I am not following you. Now, unless I'm getting a mixed up please explain where in that verse you get the idea that GOD the creator of all things is said to have flesh and bone? Unless you are saying God and Jesus are the same.

Jesus is the Son of God, each after their own kind - they are both made up of flesh and bones.

Here's a link - early Christians believed God to be corporeal... then the apostasy happened, and people made God into something distant and hard to understand.

Outline – Early Christian Belief in a Corporeal Deity | Religious Reason

Last edited:

Repox

Truth Seeker
I tried to imagine the picture that you painted, but to no avail. I guess I'm not in your head.:)

I think I understand. Try this. Imagine a mass of glowing sparks, each more brilliant than a light bulb or earthly light. Because the sum total of sparks may cause blindness it may be best to see a single spark. In addition to light you would experience a warm comforting feeling. Because those sparks would be spiritual, or without any material basis, you would not see them unless they were revealed to you. Kind of like a special switch that allows you to transcend the universe. To describe God, I tried to reduce His essence to a spark. That may have been a mistake. However, it may be useful to compare a spark of God or heaven to a particle of matter. I believe the difference is instructive, it results in a comparison between our world and heaven.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

Mormons are polytheists, basically. They think that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three different gods. They think that the Father was originally a human from another planet who gained godhood and who rules over Earth. They want to follow in his footsteps and become gods of other planets, themselves. They don't believe that he is the creator of the universe, as I understand it. They think that humans existed before being born, are the children of the Father and their goddess, the Heavenly Mother, and that Jesus and Satan are brothers. Oh, and they also believe that the Father had actual sex with Mary.

Although they like to fancy themselves as restoring original Christianity, there is no proof that the early Church believed any of those things and that Joe Smith, and later "prophets", didn't make it all up.

idea

Question Everything
Mormons are polytheists, basically. They think that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three different gods. They think that the Father was originally a human from another planet who gained godhood and who rules over Earth. They want to follow in his footsteps and become gods of other planets, themselves. They don't believe that he is the creator of the universe, as I understand it. They think that humans existed before being born, are the children of the Father and their goddess, the Heavenly Mother, and that Jesus and Satan are brothers. Oh, and they also believe that the Father had actual sex with Mary.

Although they like to fancy themselves as restoring original Christianity, there is no proof that the early Church believed any of those things and that Joe Smith, and later "prophets", didn't make it all up.

:facepalm: Sadly, some people really don't know the history of Christianity... A lot of people say a lot of things about Catholics too :D I won't though, as I come from a wonderful Catholic family and love them all to bits :).

Nature of God/Corporeality of God - FairMormon

Mormonism and the nature of God/Polytheism - FairMormon

Mormonism and the nature of God/Heavenly Mother - FairMormon