• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the religious definition of eternity?

Every religious person that I've ever met describes the god of the bible as being eternal and that he is not bound by space, time, and matter. With that said, I would like to get the opinion of religious people (or non-religious) as to what exactly eternity is? This question is intended to get people to think critically. I will respond to your answer with a follow-up question that will further my reasoning behind the original question. All responses are appreciated! Thanks!

idea

Question Everything
Eternity is without beginning and without end...

Conservation laws - you don't get something from nothing, and you can't make something into nothing - everything has always existed in one form or another.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
e·ter·ni·ty
iˈtərnitē/
noun
noun: eternity

1. infinite or unending time.

Next dictionary question?

idea

Question Everything
e·ter·ni·ty
iˈtərnitē/
noun

1. infinite or unending time.

Next dictionary question?

I disagree with that dictionary - I think it should include both no end, AND no beginning. For some reason, everyone always forgets about the "no beginning" part of it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I disagree with that dictionary - I think it should include both no end, AND no beginning. For some reason, everyone always forgets about the "no beginning" part of it.
It doesn't unend in both directions. ;)

However, I don't think the "before" aspect is implied at all. One may choose to regard it in such a manner, but I don't think the word necessarily alludes to it.

Sorry, I'm a newb with this website. This is in response to idea's post.

What does it mean to be without a beginning or end in relation to eternity? To go further with my question, does eternity relate to time? What I mean by that is, does time infinitely go in the past as well as infinitely in the future? Or, does eternity have no relation to time whatsoever?

idea

Question Everything
It doesn't unend in both directions. ;)

However, I don't think the "before" aspect is implied at all. One may choose to regard it in such a manner, but I don't think the word necessarily alludes to it.

aiōnios - which is translated as "eternal" in the NT is "that which always has been and always will be"

kind of like infinite - it's all encompassing - unbounded.

I think people have an easier time imaging what "no end" means, but it is a little bit harder to imagine "no beginning" which is to be un-caused, or self-existing.

idea

Question Everything

What does it mean to be without a beginning or end in relation to eternity? To go further with my question, does eternity relate to time? What I mean by that is, does time infinitely go in the past as well as infinitely in the future? Or, does eternity have no relation to time whatsoever?

(Book of Mormon | Alma 40:8)
all is as one day with God, and time only is measured unto men.

:)

Skwim

Veteran Member

e·ter·ni·ty
iˈtərnitē/
noun
      ↓
1. infinite or unending time. ←
      ↑

(Book of Mormon | Alma 40:8)
all is as one day with God, and time only is measured unto men.

:)

So if' it's one day with god, then would if be fair to say that eternity is related to time? In another words, you can't have eternity without time, correct?

e·ter·ni·ty
iˈtərnitē/
noun
      ↓
1. infinite or unending time. ←
      ↑

So if eternity is in relation to time, then why does it say in the bible that god is both eternal (related to time) and not bound by time? How can it be both ways? If he's eternal and eternity is forever in the past and forever in the future, then how can god not be bound by time? Hence, he cannot be both out of the realm of space and time and be eternal simultaneously.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Every religious person that I've ever met describes the god of the bible as being eternal and that he is not bound by space, time, and matter.

Where does the Bible say God is eternal?

With that said, I would like to get the opinion of religious people (or non-religious) as to what exactly eternity is? This question is intended to get people to think critically.

What makes you think we don't already do so?

My hole point behind this is if god is eternal and eternity IS related to time, then how can god be outside the dimension of time?

If god is eternal, then by definition, wouldn't he be at least be INSIDE the dimension of time?

If god is outside the dimension of time, then how is his existence even possible since time is a prerequisite for anything to exist or happen?

4consideration

Premium Member
So if eternity is in relation to time, then why does it say in the bible that god is both eternal (related to time) and not bound by time? How can it be both ways? If he's eternal and eternity is forever in the past and forever in the future, then how can god not be bound by time? Hence, he cannot be both out of the realm of space and time and be eternal simultaneously.

I think omnipresence would cover that.

Where does the Bible say God is eternal?

What makes you think we don't already do so?

Dueteronomy 33:27...The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Every religious person that I've ever met describes the god of the bible as being eternal and that he is not bound by space, time, and matter. With that said, I would like to get the opinion of religious people (or non-religious) as to what exactly eternity is? This question is intended to get people to think critically. I will respond to your answer with a follow-up question that will further my reasoning behind the original question. All responses are appreciated! Thanks!

I would assume the idea would be that in the dimension to which God may reside, the metaphysical principle would be that the nature of God is such that he is incoporeal, self-sustaining, and continuous without annihilation or interruption which all material substances succumb to.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Well, I'm of the school of thought like Maimonides in that time is conceptually relative because time is another finite word to describe the continual state of God's existence which exceeds the boundaries of reality. I think ultimately when people say God is eternal, the soul is eternal, Heaven and Hell are eternal these are merely finite words to describe a metaphysical reality without end. Of course such thoughts are arguable since one could argue that the universe is without end but the difference is astrophysicist argue that the universe did have a beginning therefore it was not eternal as opposed to God (if such exist).