• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the secret of successful marriage?

Milton Platt

You know, there are couples that live happily ever after.....What is their secret? Do you know any example of that type of relationship?

What makes a marriage successful? Is that compatibility or willingness to compromise? Maybe love or common interests?

I just want to be armed and prepared when time comes.

Living in different states helps.....just kidding. I have been married for 30 plus years and am perfectly happy. Does not mean we do not have differences of opinion, or do not get under one another's skin on occasion. But at the end of the day, we both put the "we" before the "I".

Parchment

A successful marriage is like a dance, you work together as one, you help the other if they make a mistake and try not to let them fall, if one does fall the other picks them up and goes on with the dance. It's worked for +25 years for us- honest communication is the key, at least that's the way I see it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The institution called marriage in my thinking is a prison, you cannot institutionalize love, or friendship, I have never had anything to do with it and never will.

*scratches his head*
Whilst true that marriage doesnt neccessarily enhance love, describing it as a prison seems...well...hyperbolic.
I feel no more (or less...lol) trapped with my wife right now than I would if we were unmarried.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
A successful marriage is like a dance, you work together as one, you help the other if they make a mistake and try not to let them fall, if one does fall the other picks them up and goes on with the dance. It's worked for +25 years for us- honest communication is the key, at least that's the way I see it.

So presumably the honeymoon is the lambada?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
*scratches his head*
Whilst true that marriage doesnt neccessarily enhance love, describing it as a prison seems...well...hyperbolic.
I feel no more (or less...lol) trapped with my wife right now than I would if we were unmarried.
Well of course this prison doesn't apply to everyone, and also most make their prison quite comfortable never realizing it is a prison.

Akivah

You know, there are couples that live happily ever after.....What is their secret? Do you know any example of that type of relationship?

What makes a marriage successful? Is that compatibility or willingness to compromise? Maybe love or common interests?

Yes, I've been married to the same woman for 28 years. We've had our ups and downs. What made our marriage work is
1) effective communication. We had to learn from a marriage counselor how to do this.
2) A willingness to support each other's hobbies.
3) Being able to rely on each other without question.

Last edited:

Akivah

However, there is one quality that is very good at predicting how long a marriage will last.

Mutual respect.

Mutual respect. More important than love, compatibility, common interests, etc in determining how long a marriage will last.

I like that. When people ask me about my wife and I start extolling her and listing her admirable qualities, some people told me that they never heard anyone talk about their spouse like I do.

And I have to agree. Most of the time when people talk about their spouses, they're complaining. I have rarely heard people talk positively about their spouse. I believe that thoughts lead to words, which lead to actions. If one starts in a negative place, that it will eventually adversely affect your marriage.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

I just want to be armed and prepared when time comes.
Hi.....
I am one very very lucky bloke. My wife is fabulous.

Secret? I was more lucky than I ever deserved.
If you find a religion or faith, then it will be by the Grace of God.
If you find no religion it will be by brilliant good luck.

But do not write out a list of qualities that your intended must have, rather you should write out a list of qualities that you must have, and then, if you never find, you will be living in contentment anyway.

Good Luck! :)

VioletVortex

Finding a different definition of success.

Just kidding, the real secret to successful marriage is probably restraint. Dating for a considerable period of time before marrying, and when doing the aforementioned, it should be for a legitimate reason.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I find it interesting that none of the people who claim in same-sex marriage threads that marriage is about procreation have said here that the secret to a successful marriage is fertility.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Find a man who is supportive and kind
Find a man who is a great lover
The secret is, never let these two men meet?

No. Really.

Tolerance, trust, communication

Akivah

I find it interesting that none of the people who claim in same-sex marriage threads that marriage is about procreation have said here that the secret to a successful marriage is fertility.

Fertility is just table-stakes, it is part of the definition of a marriage.