• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is truth?

Firstborner

That such a community has always existed is both scriptural and historical, that we are a segment of it is traditional, I possess for example an unbroken baptismal lineage to the 1700s, traced through persons verifiable in records as not having belonged to any mainstream denomination. That they were connected to others traceable to before the time of reformation is fairly easy to establish, though any personal succession records to my knowledge do not exist. The traditions I have have come from both oral and written records.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
I think I'm trying to balance individual fulfillment with collective fulfillment.
I understand. But striving for individual fulfillment will ensure our contribution to collective fulfillment if our individual fulfillment does not require us to exploit the collective.

connermt

I am a middle-aged cradle Catholic Christian who is challenging his long-held beliefs and practices. I do not have any theological problems with my faith perse, however how the church applies the faith in matters of the faith gives me reason to pause. I think of the scripture that says to the effect 'by their fruits you shall know them'. I have a tendency to believe that there is in fact a true faith that can be known, but I am open to others thoughts on this premise as well. I am looking for those who are knowledgeable in their beliefs to share them and give their best reasoning as to why the path they have chosen is the correct one. Thank you and I look forward to your thoughtful replies.

To me, there is no fact in religion (meaning there is no fact/proof of God or a god like the bible dictates). Belief fuels religions. And belief can exist in the absence of facts/data. And that's OK for some people. As a former christian, my questions were never answered. I have seen conflicts in the bible. Therefore, to me, the only "true" faith is the one that you (the individual) subscribes to.
After all, a person can have faith in anything, regardless if this "thing" actually exists or not.

earlwooters

"Truth has many meanings, such as the state of being in accord with a particular reality or fact, or being in accord with real events or actualities.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth#cite_note-Merriam-Webster-def-0 It can also mean having fidelity to an original or to a standard or ideal, no matter it's validity."

The first type of truth is that of reality. The second kind is the truth of belief and faith. But if you have no theological problems with your faith,then your truth lies with the second kind. And you have that already.

...consciousness itself blinds us from objectivity.
You have hit on something that is true. We as individuals can not be objective within ourselves to attain the truth we are seeking. We need something outside of ourselves to direct us. This is where God comes in. Perhaps I am at a point where I am asking: Does God use individuals outside of ourselves to help us come to the truth or does God come to each of us individually to help us come to the truth? Maybe it's a little bit of both. Having said that however, it would be impossible to test this objectively.

Onkara

I was rather shocked to find that God resides in us, and no matter where you are or what you think God is always within you. So all seeking of object truth is nothing but play.