• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with this "picture"

chlotilde

Madame Curie
I was just visiting a national museum, and reading the placards I found something that rubbed me wrong...as a scientist. I'm thinking about writing the museum, but perhaps I'm being *too* scientific and not seeing it from a "layman's" perspective. Anyway the placard said (not verbatim here as my memory is short...but it's close enough)

"The (insert animal name) adapt their behavior because of evolution".

Does anyone else here something wrong with this sentence?

chlotilde

PS: I'm posting this question in the E vs C forum because I'm using the E word, not because I want to debate the E vs. C :).

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I was just visiting a national museum, and reading the placards I found something that rubbed me wrong...as a scientist. I'm thinking about writing the museum, but perhaps I'm being *too* scientific and not seeing it from a "layman's" perspective. Anyway the placard said (not verbatim here as my memory is short...but it's close enough)

chlotilde

PS: I'm posting this question in the E vs C forum because I'm using the E word, not because I want to debate the E vs. C :).

I am a layman and that sentence strikes me as wrong as well. I think you should write a letter to the museum and suggest they change the placard so something more accurate. I think you might have to look at the display in total to figure out what the museum is trying to say and make some suggestions on how they might phrase it better. What point needs to be made with this placard?

Should it say something like “The (insert animal name) adapt their behaviour because of a change in the environment” Or “A change in the environment can lead to a corresponding change in (insert animal name)’s behaviour? Or are they trying to show something more complicated like how behavioural changes and genetic changes are related?

I think what they may be doing is trying to show adaptive behaviour within a broader framework of evolution. But just sticking that word in there doesn’t work. It makes it seem like evolution is some magical force that causes animals to act differently.

If you do write a letter let us know how it goes.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
:eek: Maybe I'm too much of a layman...er...woman. Probably the only thing is that evolution involves the whole process of adaption. The sentence makes it seem like they are two seperate incidents.

BTW, your avatar is so cute! :D

Truth_Faith13

chlotilde

No it is wrong. The environment/competeition/geography causes changes in animal behaviour not just evolution - though technically if the animal evolved in wouldnt be changing its behaviour because it would be a different animal - just so you know I am not going crazy example being ape to human.

Fredx10

Can someone give me some recent, non-theoretical examples of animals adapting their behavior for whatever reason?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Japanese Macaques adopted the use of salt from sea water to flavor potatos given to them by reserchers. The behavior began with a single individual and spread rapidly among the whole population.

Also Little Blue Penguins have been learning to take advantage of humans living nearby to provide safe nesting areas. Crows in Japan have learned to use cars to crack walnuts, by placing them in crosswalks and waiting for the lights to change.
Orca whales in Alsaska have been adopting different hunting behaviors as thier prey speicies change. Bottlenose Dolphins in the Carolina's have begun chasing fish up onto shore to catch them. Bottlenose Dolphins have recently begun to use sponges as hunting tools.

There are lots of examples out there of animals adapting thier behavior. Honsestly too many for me to list.

wa:do