• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Your Disbelief?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What I don't believe exists is anything non-physical. Simply because I have no reason to believe in anything non-physical.
How I define physical is anything which can be detected by our senses or can affect something which we can detect by our senses.

Therefore anything claimed as supernatural or divine is imaginary to me. I understand other people believe in a reality which includes spiritual/non-physical elements. However in an argument or discussion these non-physical concepts have no significant meaning or explanatory value.

I don't mean this offensively, one has to choose for themselves what they are willing to accept. However this is how my mind works in discussions.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What I don't believe exists is anything non-physical. Simply because I have no reason to believe in anything non-physical.
How I define physical is anything which can be detected by our senses or can affect something which we can detect by our senses.

Therefore anything claimed as supernatural or divine is imaginary to me. I understand other people believe in a reality which includes spiritual/non-physical elements. However in an argument or discussion these non-physical concepts have no significant meaning or explanatory value.

I don't mean this offensively, one has to choose for themselves what they are willing to accept. However this is how my mind works in discussions.

Pretty much ^^^THIS^^^

I have no reason to hold a belief in what isn't physical.

rocala

It is a coincidence that you should post this question. Something that I read earlier here got me thinking about why I parted from Christianity.
Some years ago I looked back on that and reviewed it. Christianity as I recall has aspects which would make a good contemplative and communal faith. But then the magic show arrived, with walking on water, virgin births and resurrections and so on. So that is my "disbelief".

What a shame. They ruined something that really had potential.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Who you are whether you believe is created by the brain is not a physical thing. It's qualia and subject to judgment.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Does this include emotional senses? Do you believe in love outside of that which is connected to lust?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So love is physical, then?
I think because their love is towards physical so much, they forget the spiritual side of humanity and unseen world we are connected to. In other words, they love pizza more than God unfortunately.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is a myth, which uses reductionism to define 'love'.
Who we are is qualia - whether generated by brain (physical) or God (unseen). God creating unseen qualia is easy to see, how the brain (physical) can generate qualia is impossible in my viewpoint. I'm the opposite, I believe physical existence by definition is impossible. All we imagine is created through qualia, even when we analyze five senses, it's qualia. The brain is more like web page while the code behind it is more complex and little to do with the web page we see. The web page is for us to interact with and so the body and brain is for us to interact in this world, but in reality, physical existence is impossible.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
There's not much I actively "disbelieve" that I'm aware of. I do feel though that every idea of "god" out there is a man made story, though. Could a god or godlike being possibly exist? I suppose, but no one out there has convincing answers from what I can see

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I understand the logic behind your position, but I have come to believe mountains of paranormal evidence (including my own experiences) have disqualified your beliefs from being correct.

As you are into science you must know the vast majority of matter is not directly detectable by our three-dimensional senses and instruments (so-called Dark Matter). Point is you don't know what you don't know, and the paranormal evidence suggests it is some dramatic things.