• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your opinion of Jesus?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I was thinking he was too humble to claim to be good like God is good. Heavenly father and God - I wonder sometimes if they are the same. I'm thinking no, but I could be wrong.

Mark 10:18
Here's how I see it. Jesus learned everything he knew from his Father.

YoursTrue

I was thinking he was too humble to claim to be good like God is good. He was like us in every way, I read. I suppose that means he was also prone to mistakes like the rest of us, which makes me question what it means to be perfect as a sacrifice. Heavenly father and God - I wonder sometimes if they are the same. I'm thinking no, but I could be wrong. I'm still learning what it all means to me. Joseph, I'll presume is his father in heaven. God is God and I question whether Heavenly father is referring to Joseph or the God of all Gods. Discerning the text as written isn't easy. I struggle quite a lot. Don't ask me to simply believe what other people try to teach me about it either. I'd rather not be ashamed in my efforts to understand truth from error. Shadow walking has never been a strong character trait of mine. I'm a little more independent than that, albeit limited in understanding.

Mark 10:18
I guess it's a hard concept for some to grasp, especially when indoctrinated...but like a husband and wife are said to be one, they are not each other. To say they're not the same is a bit off-setting but they're not the "same," yet they are one. Does that make sense to you? Also remember that Jesus said he was going back to the Father and the disciples should be happy for him because -- the Father is greater than he is.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Here's how I see it. Jesus learned everything he knew from his Father.
So what do you think, if Jesus told his disciples that if they pursued the path, they too would be able to do all the things he has done, does that mean a disciple of Jesus in any era may reach the state of union with the Father/God as did Jesus?

YoursTrue

So what do you think, if Jesus told his disciples that if they pursued the path, they too would be able to do all the things he has done, does that mean a disciple of Jesus in any era may reach the state of union with the Father/God as did Jesus?
:) Good question. I think we're going to have to wait until later to get there...

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I guess it's a hard concept for some to grasp, especially when indoctrinated...but like a husband and wife are said to be one, they are not each other. To say they're not the same is a bit off-setting but they're not the "same," yet they are one. Does that make sense to you? Also remember that Jesus said he was going back to the Father and the disciples should be happy for him because -- the Father is greater than he is.
I remember and I'll agree, but I'm also not so sure he wasn't speaking about Joseph. A family is a family until the family is torn apart, no matter how that happens. I'm fairly sure Joseph died early on in Jesus' life. He had his mother and loved his father, or so the story goes. Mary stood by him through it all. God, well ... God is God, creator of all things in the heavens and the earth. Joseph was at least in part, responsible for helping Jesus be birthed in this world that God created.

YoursTrue

I remember and I'll agree, but I'm also not so sure he wasn't speaking about Joseph. A family is a family until the family is torn apart, no matter how that happens. I'm fairly sure Joseph died early on in Jesus' life. He had his mother and loved his father, or so the story goes. Mary stood by him through it all. God, well ... God is God, creator of all things in the heavens and the earth. Joseph was at least in part, responsible for helping Jesus be birthed in this world that God created.
Joseph took the assignment by God to marry Mary. He and Mary raised their children in harmony with Jewish law and observance at the time.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Joseph took the assignment by God to marry Mary. He and Mary raised their children in harmony with Jewish law and observance at the time.
How many children did they have? I only remember them having one. I know she was a maiden when Jesus was conceived, and I'll presume that Joseph stood by them until whatever happened to him (Joseph) happened. No one seems to know. The angel of the Lord visited Mary, and even Zacharius and Elizabeth, apparently, when they were to conceive John. They conceived them. Zacharius and Elizabeth/Mary and Joseph, only Mary was still a maiden, and they were unmarried by law. It was viewed to be a shameful thing to not be espoused and conceive children. It still is in some areas and/or circles. Joseph was unwilling to put her through that shame, and so they kept it secret and left to have Jesus outside of the community they were residing in. That's how the bible tells the story, anyway.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
What is your opinion of Jesus?
(Jesus)Yeshua- :
  1. the truthful Israelite Messiah
No, he is not the Jewish messiah.
  1. was a straight forward, truthful person
This is a spectrum thing, not a yes/no. I don't think we have enough evidence to evaluate this.
  1. he believed in One/G-d,
Yes, absolutely. All Jews at that time such as Jesus believed in only One God.
  1. was Son of Mary
Most likely
  1. Mary only,
Nope. It takes a sperm and an egg to make a baby.
  1. not of any God
Absolutely. God is not a man.
  1. (Jesus) got married and had children
Highly, highly unlikely. This idea that he was married with kids comes far later in history than the books of the New Testament. Gospel of Mary (circa 2nd century CE) and Gospel of Philip (circa 3rd century CE) are the two texts that suggest this idea.
  1. (Jesus) migrated from Galilee to the East where his people (Israelites belonging to 10 lost tribes of Israel) lived,
Absolutely not. There is no evidence for this whatsoever, despite the claims of a few Indian supremacists in here.
  1. (Jesus) died a natural death at the ripe age of about 120 years.
Nope. All the early texts agree that he was crucified. The whole point of crucifixion was to torture people to death. No one survived crucifixion.