• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your reason for not believing in a God if you don't?

ilovetraveler

It seems to me that without an afterlife, there would be no justice. The evil people in the world who have gotten away with their crimes wouldn't have to answer for anything. The good people who have been murdered would have nothing. They would just be dead. Personally, that seems like such a pointless and horrible world to live in. I would like to hear everybody thoughts! Thanks

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
That's why we built prisons, we sure can't be threatened after death, but we sure can be in real life. Let alone, most people realize this is the only chance they got, so they avoid death as much as possible.

And there you go - the only two things that stops us from acting upon the subjective definition of... immoral...

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It seems to me that without an afterlife, there would be no justice. The evil people in the world who have gotten away with their crimes wouldn't have to answer for anything. The good people who have been murdered would have nothing. They would just be dead. Personally, that seems like such a pointless and horrible world to live in. I would like to hear everybody thoughts! Thanks
Just because something is horrible does not mean it is not true.

For me the claim of "God" is just such an extraordinary claim for which I see no evidence.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
fantôme profane;3013492 said:
For me the claim of "God" is just such an extraordinary claim for which I see no evidence.
it goes deeper than that for me.
In all honesty, I have yet to see anyone paint a picture of a deity i would want to worship.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
In all honesty, I have yet to see anyone paint a picture of a deity i would want to worship.

Paint your own :)

Works for me anyway...

Although, now that I think about it, I don't really worship the god I believe in either. :shrug:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
And for me the question of whether or not I would want to worship it is irrelevant to the question of whether or not it exists.

Super Universe

Defender of God

The reason people don't believe in God is because they didn't get the life they would have wanted.

As for afterlife justice, the earth experience is like attending first grade. Heaven is like earning your PHD in God Theory. There are many levels in between that you have to complete.

You can't get to heaven until you forgive everyone who ever did you harm, also, you can't get to heaven until you are forgiven by everyone you harmed.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
fantôme profane;3013507 said:
And for me the question of whether or not I would want to worship it is irrelevant to the question of whether or not it exists.
then you are looking at the whole situation backwards.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The reason people don't believe in God is because they didn't get the life they would have wanted.

As for afterlife justice, the earth experience is like attending first grade. Heaven is like earning your PHD in God Theory. There are many levels in between that you have to complete.

You can't get to heaven until you forgive everyone who ever did you harm, also, you can't get to heaven until you are forgiven by everyone you harmed.
And here is a prime example of what I am talking about...

Skwim

Veteran Member
Sounds as if the point of life to you is the final score: As a good guy did I get everything I deserve? If not, then I'll get my blue ribbon in the afterlife:foryou:. As a bad guy, you didn't get the beating I thought you deserved, but you'll get your comeuppance when you meet Ol' Scratch
Devil_emoticon.gif

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I do believe in a deity, but not a heaven/hell God.

The world you describe sounds like some juvenile game of winners and losers.
Society decides who needs punishment. And most of us do what is morally or ethically right not out of a desire for some far off reward when you die, but out of empathy and compassion.

waitasec

Veteran Member

i have come to surrender to the idea that s ** t happens because of the indifference that surrounds us.
what makes sense to me is the here and now.

outhouse

Atheistically

I find god from being highly educated on the subject, to be straight 100% mythology that has evolved continually.

there is not even a chance in my mind that a deity of any kind has ever existed in any way shape or form. Really in my view it is a impossibility.

man has a long and visible history of creating deities, yet somehow this one is special and is deserving credibility from silence???? I dont think so

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

Horrible? You've yet to even scratch the surface...

Pointless? Only if you feel compelled to leave a lasting legacy...

How many people alive today can say what their great-great grandparents valued most of all? Their hobbies? Favorite books? Their occupation? Their most proud achievement, or most prized and valued possession? Their favorite color, pet name, work of art...?

Do you believe that three generations removed from what you care for most today will be recalled fondly or favorably (or at all) 150 years from now?

If you can accept the very simple (albeit not especially emotionally comforting) notion that the cosmos doesn't play favorites, and deals in neither rewards nor punishments, just consequences...

..you may just then begin to grasp the reality that your existence is fleeting, special, unique, and of utterly no lasting consequence to anything within the billions of galaxies, with their own billions of stars, each with their own cumulative uncounted trillions of planets...

...and that's ok. :)

Revel in your time, for it's all you will ever have. When our star expands about 4 to 5 billion years from now, and consumes our planet in a superheated envelopment of literal vaporizing temperatures of matter itself, know that anyone you have ever known, or knew you, won't be there to account of your passing moment in time billions of years before.

Since it is indeed "pointless" to worry about things and events you can not prevent or alter in some future, at least know that you can make a difference tomorrow, in some meaningful way, to another person that shares their brief moment of existence with you now.

And, to me, that's kinda the point :)

HonestJoe

I don't believe in God for the same reason you don't believe in Zeus. Nobody has offered a good reason to do so.

Belief in an afterlife is a different thing - an afterlife doesn't require the existence of a deity and vice-versa. I don't believe in an afterlife for the same reason I don't believe in God though. As has already been mentioned, just because something is unpleasant doesn't mean it can't be true. It's certainly no reasons to automatically assume something exists that magically makes it better.

Please note that "not believing" is not that same as "denying the possibility of".

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
It seems to me that without an afterlife, there would be no justice.

What makes you say that? If someone murders someone then they'll likely be locked up for life or killed by the death penalty

The evil people in the world who have gotten away with their crimes wouldn't have to answer for anything.

Wrong, we have a justice system for a reason

The good people who have been murdered would have nothing. They would just be dead.

True.

Personally, that seems like such a pointless and horrible world to live in. I would like to hear everybody thoughts! Thanks

If you look at life that way then yes it might seem horrible and pointless. However you're only looking at one side of the dice, there's more to life than justice, murder and death.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Strictly speaking, there's nothing I don't believe in (in the sense of accepting something exists in some manner of what existence means). There are plenty of god-concepts I don't actively acknowledge and work with, however. The reasons for not working with them boils down to something of the following:

- a lack of interest in that particular god-concept
- the god-concept is counterintuitive with respect to the rest of my worldview
- potential interest, but lack of time to investigate

Come to think of it, those three probably describe pretty much everyone's reasons for not believing in a sense. People don't believe in god-concepts that they aren't interested in or that are incompatible with their worldview. Or, they might have interest, but just haven't taken the time to look into it for whatever reason.