• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your reason for not believing in a God if you don't?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It seems to me that without an afterlife, there would be no justice. The evil people in the world who have gotten away with their crimes wouldn't have to answer for anything. The good people who have been murdered would have nothing. They would just be dead. Personally, that seems like such a pointless and horrible world to live in. I would like to hear everybody thoughts! Thanks
Welcome aboard!

I have no reason to believe in gods.
My only reason to disbelieve is Occam's Razor.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems to me that without an afterlife, there would be no justice. The evil people in the world who have gotten away with their crimes wouldn't have to answer for anything. The good people who have been murdered would have nothing. They would just be dead. Personally, that seems like such a pointless and horrible world to live in. I would like to hear everybody thoughts! Thanks

Well, at least you're half right: There is no justice apart from what little justice we humans create during our lives. That's not a logical grounds on which to believe in god, though.

Besides which, there is no more reason to believe in god than there is reason to believe there is an undetectable pencil on my desk.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
There's as much evidence for the existence of a god someone else believes in as there is for the gods I make up off the top of my head.

Actually, probably less. I like my stories backed with realism.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It seems to me that without an afterlife, there would be no justice. The evil people in the world who have gotten away with their crimes wouldn't have to answer for anything. The good people who have been murdered would have nothing. They would just be dead. Personally, that seems like such a pointless and horrible world to live in.
Have you ever heard of something called appeal to the consequences of a belief?

It's a logical fallacy and you just gave a very good example of one:

Logical Fallacy: Appeal to Consequences

I would like to hear everybody thoughts! Thanks

I have almost the exact opposite view. A lack of God means a reason for hope. I like how Penn Jillette put it in his "This I Believe" essay:

Believing there is no God means the suffering I've seen in my family, and indeed all the suffering in the world, isn't caused by an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent force that isn't bothered to help or is just testing us, but rather something we all may be able to help others with in the future. No God means the possibility of less suffering in the future.
There Is No God : NPR

Alceste

Vagabond

Why do you think there has to be justice?

The Fog Horn

That explains why the lie of hell was created.....to make up for lack of morals in stupid people foolish enough to believe in hell.

The ancient Hebrews did not at first believe in an afterlife. Chinese Whispers and time brought it about. The lake of fire.......volcano caldera. Kind of puts a dampner on the dunking ceremony doesn't it?