• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your view of the Bible?

Luminakisharblaze

Doyamo Luminachi
The Holy Bible is a living document that applies as much today as it did in the 1st Century. The Old Testament is a collection of stories, and laws governing God's people, the Jews and also a prophetic text of God's promise of a Savior, Jesus. The New Testament is His story and His directions on how we should conduct ourselves. God is real. The Bible is inspired by Him. It is His word, which no church could "control". God's will be done. Whether you believe or not, it's irrelevant.

What do you mean "God's people"? All people are God's people. Are not all people worthy of Divine love? Or does your god only pick and chose those who seem to fit a mold that apparently was an afterthought? The only Divinity I recognize does not forsake any of the children. Love is love and it has no measurement of who is worthy. All are worthy and all are loved by the true Divine.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I don't recognize their divinity, but I do recognize their divnity has some redeeming qualities about him. He does care if they kill each other off or not- "thou shall not kill". Which is why anybody who ever did that in the name of their god, wasn't truly following their god.

Rainbow Mage

See people think I hassle fundies on here to mock their god or provoke them. I wouldn't dare mock any god truly, I don't meant it, I'm just kidding, but I admit I do try to provoke the fundies, so everybody can see how un-like the god they claim to follow they truly are. Their god is supposed to be love.

Rainbow Mage

See and I admit my gods aren't all good either. Some of them are far worse then the Abrahamic god is sometimes portrayed. There are evil gods, like Set for example, but I realize that gods being evil serves a purpose.

reloadthis

I don't recognize their divinity, but I do recognize their divnity has some redeeming qualities about him. He does care if they kill each other off or not- "thou shall not kill". Which is why anybody who ever did that in the name of their god, wasn't truly following their god.

I don't get why God commands the Jews to commit genocide. In the book of Joshua, God commands Israel to slaughter the Canaanites in order to occupy the Promised Land.

If this is true, then this God is not my kinda God. Yes, I probably will be punished for saying this and lambasting the bible. I'm sure not going to just go along with all that insanity though.

How Could God Command Genocide in the Old Testament? – Justin Taylor

Rainbow Mage

I don't get why God commands the Jews to commit genocide. In the book of Joshua, God commands Israel to slaughter the Canaanites in order to occupy the Promised Land.

If this is true, then this God is not my kinda God. Yes, I probably will be punished for saying this and lambasting the bible. I'm sure not going to just go along with all that insanity though.

How Could God Command Genocide in the Old Testament? – Justin Taylor

I get the idea personally that the religious leaders back then probably said God told them to kill, but that was probably far from the actual truth. Religious leaders will sometimes say anything to get their way, just like politicians.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
I get the idea personally that the religious leaders back then probably said God told them to kill, but that was probably far from the actual truth. Religious leaders will sometimes say anything to get their way, just like politicians.
That's the whole point of religious leadership, is to get people to do what you say.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
It is impossible to have a full understanding of English literature (or language) without knowledge of the Bible.
To understand some of the most celebrate art of the renaissance and western society one needs an understanding of the Hebrew Bible and Classical mythology and literature. great artists and musicians of the 20th century, from Salvador Dali, to Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan were inspired by the Bible in creating their art and music.
The Hebrew Bible gives us a further context into various studies of the ancient near east, as it is a unique part of this ancient landscape, which can be studied when placed and studied in the context of ancient inscriptions from the ANE, and the literature of the ANE.
The Hebrews, upon inheriting us the Bible give as an insight into the landscape of some of the greatest empires and civilizations humanity has known; the Babylonians, the Assyrians, the Egyptians, and the Hittites. the Hebrews communicate to us the dramatic events which took place in the ancient near east and give us an additional context into the ancient chronologies of the region, like the chronologies of the Assyrians.
beyond the ancient insight into the society and politics of the ancient near east, the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament played a central role in the politics and society of the last two milennia, and the modern age which has grew out of it.
so por-favor, for those who are going to dismiss the Bible as the 'mythology of Bronze Age nomads', remember that it would be more accurate to call it the 'Iron Age mythology' of scribes whose eyes have seen the rise and fall of vast empires, and have shaped the course of history to this very day.
This. :)

As for the cigarettes, well, I prefer to roll mine with the Codex Sinaiticus. It has a nice mild goaty flavor with a hint of sheep.

Call_of_the_Wild

I believe the bible is the inspired word of the Lving God...written by inspired men...I believe the books of the bible are tales of real events in that have taken place in history.

javajo

I believe the bible is the inspired word of the Lving God...written by inspired men...I believe the books of the bible are tales of real events in that have taken place in history.
Yeah, what he said. I believe the Bible tells us how to be freely saved by faith in Christ, is inspired of God, and contains all the wisdom one needs to be complete and prepared for everything God has planned for us to do once we have trusted Christ:

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Tim.