• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is ZEN

Straw Dog

Is Zen thinking,acting,and living in the present moment on a daily basis?..

It's realizing that we already do all those things in the present moment. Thinking about the past and the future both take place within the present. Everything happens HERE-NOW with or without our awareness. Becoming more aware of it only reveals that which is already there, but don't try to grasp the moment too tightly because it flows freely into eternity. Being is Becoming.

This quote from comedian George Carlin may provide contrast:

"There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past."

I would have quoted a proper Zen Master, but then you may have taken it too seriously.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
yea, something like that.

Is it one fluid motion with no intervals? that has to do with martial arts.
Yes. The "interval" belongs to the past, because only once it has happened do we split it off from the world, give it a name (identity) and a place relative to other things.

AmerikanZen

Zen is only practice. There is nothing to understand. The need for intellectual study arises when it is connected to Buddhism or another philosophy.

The . . . Gautama Buddha of India isn't the "buddha" of the Japanese Soto Zen tradition. (or is it?) :confused:

I would presume that "Zen" is just (all human actions in the present time of consistent fluid motions of the human anatomy.) :bow:

Last edited:

apophenia

The . . . Gautama Buddha of India isn't the "buddha" of the Japanese Soto Zen tradition. (or is it?) :confused:

Yes, Gautama is the 'the buddha' of all buddhist traditions.The term also refers to enlightened mind.

I would presume that "Zen" is just (all human actions in the present time of consistent fluid motions of the human anatomy.)
Is Zen thinking,acting,and living in the present moment on a daily basis?..

These definitions of zen can become the ego's intellectual framework.

Attempting to preempt the practice of sitting meditation by second-guessing the result in advance is a common error. The central practice of zen is sitting. Zen without sitting is archery without a bow.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend American Zen,

. does "sitting" in my office chair count for meditation practice?..
Yes, when one simply sits; its zen. Sitting without 'thoughts'!
What about "thinking on the ball" is that conducive to zazen?..
The word 'thinking' in any form moves one away from ZEN.
Only when one is HERE-NOW!totally in the PRESENT.

Guess, if one simply learns to SIT, its enough; [no thoughts allowed, please!]

Love & rgds

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Friend American Zen,

Love & rgds

Zenzero, you're back. :)

apophenia

Friend American Zen,

Love & rgds

hey zenzero !

that was a long sit ,,,

I will offer this thought ( ! ) - when one recognises and 'inhabits' that indefinable mindspace in which thoughts arise and disappear, then the arising of thought is no more an obstruction to meditation than clouds are an obstruction to the sky.

some teachers talk of awareness of 'the space between thoughts' - I have found it more helpful to be aware of 'the space in which thoughts arise and dissipate'. this leads to stillness in objectless awareness, without setting up an unnecessary struggle with thinking.

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
enso_zen1.jpg

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend apophenia,

Just in passing....
when one recognises and 'inhabits' that indefinable mindspace in which thoughts arise and disappear, then the arising of thought is no more an obstruction to meditation than clouds are an obstruction to the sky.
Agreed!
Only the ocean can observe the waves in such fashion.
However here too there lies the watcher and the watched and the final resting place for the watcher is to be one with the watched.
The ocean and the waves are in oneness and not separated.

Love & rgds

Ravi500

Quite easily the sweetest thread I have read in the religious forum. :)

Where there is mindfulness, indeed there is sweetness and light. :)

I am out for a cup of tea myself. ;)