• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What languages do you speak?

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
Hebrew and English fluently. refreshing my Arabic right now. and the French consulate here demands that I speak French in 5 years.
I've also been taking Egyptian hieroglyphs and Attic Greek back in archaeology studies. if only enough to get some valuable information in the field, and not to read whole enigmatic texts.

Nice!! I am sure you will learn French pretty easy. You are a smart guy.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I speak English, enough French to get by on a holiday, but not enough to hold a conversation and a tiny bit of Latin. I can usually roughly decipher a Latin phrase by recognising the odd noun or verb, but couldn't construct a sentence of my own.

Get by on a holiday? Which one?

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Do you find that once you master another language or two, it becomes easier to learn more? Do you kind of develop a method of learning new ones, or become kind of ... I can't think how to phrase it, but like your brain is more receptive to learning language?

I do. I know very basic German, and when I went to go learn French at my high school, it was very, very easy. Even with that basic understanding of another language, it opens your brain to be more receptive towards other languages.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My first language is English. I also know some French and "Introduction to Spanish"-level Spanish.

Oh - and a smattering of Japanese terms picked up through martial arts. I can kinda talk about different ways to kill people and I can count to ten, but not much more than that.

And thanks to watching the Great Escape more times than I can count, I also know how to say "don't shoot!" in German and "I love you" in Russian. Neither phrase has come in particularly handy so far, but you never know what the future will hold.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
A holiday to france of course :p

Could this be the American/English language barrier at work? ;)

Yeah. The word 'holiday' in the U.S. refers to specific celebrations and dates, such as Christmas, Holloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Independence Day etc. When you take time off work, travel or whatever, we call it 'vacation'.

Oberon

I can read German, Latin, French, ancient Greek (classical and hellenistic), and Hebrew (Hebrew being my worst). I'm still playing around with arabic, and I'm decent with old and middle english. I've studied the structure of a number of different languages as well (e.g. hittite, navajo, sanskrit, etc).

Flankerl

I know some languages, the order is based on when i learned it.

1. austrian german, to be more specific austrian german from tyrol
2. yiddish
3. hebrew
4. OGS, austrian sign language
5. british english
6. standard german
7. DGS, german sign language

1) Since its been some time since we left tyrol iam not that good of it anymore. :/
2) Ever since my last grandmother passed away i rarely hear it so its like my dialect from tyrol.
3) i'd say iam moderate at hebrew. I'd never say that iam fluent in it since i rarely use it. Even when i chat with my cousins in israel we just use english since its more convenient.
4) fluently
5) the germans infected me with the "i can speak it a little bit" so iam probably better than most users. :p
6) somewhat fluently
7) fluently

Thats enough for me. I'd probably forget any new language. :D

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
My first language is English. I also know some French and "Introduction to Spanish"-level Spanish.

Oh - and a smattering of Japanese terms picked up through martial arts. I can kinda talk about different ways to kill people and I can count to ten, but not much more than that.

And thanks to watching the Great Escape more times than I can count, I also know how to say "don't shoot!" in German and "I love you" in Russian. Neither phrase has come in particularly handy so far, but you never know what the future will hold.

Killing phrases are very useful. Also I can see those phrases in Russian and German coming in handy later. Hopefully you don't ever have to say "don't shoot" in Russian or "I love you" in German.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I can read German, Latin, French, ancient Greek (classical and hellenistic), and Hebrew (Hebrew being my worst). I'm still playing around with arabic, and I'm decent with old and middle english. I've studied the structure of a number of different languages as well (e.g. hittite, navajo, sanskrit, etc).

That is amazing! Wow. Wow....Just wow. You should talk to Klaufi about Old English some time. He is trying to learn it.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I know some languages, the order is based on when i learned it.

1. austrian german, to be more specific austrian german from tyrol
2. yiddish
3. hebrew
4. OGS, austrian sign language
5. british english
6. standard german
7. DGS, german sign language

1) Since its been some time since we left tyrol iam not that good of it anymore. :/
2) Ever since my last grandmother passed away i rarely hear it so its like my dialect from tyrol.
3) i'd say iam moderate at hebrew. I'd never say that iam fluent in it since i rarely use it. Even when i chat with my cousins in israel we just use english since its more convenient.
4) fluently
5) the germans infected me with the "i can speak it a little bit" so iam probably better than most users. :p
6) somewhat fluently
7) fluently

Thats enough for me. I'd probably forget any new language. :D

You are also amazing. Austrian is very difficult for us Americans learning German. It is those darned "l's" at the end of words. I am assuming you learned Hoch Deutsch in der Schule? Are you an interpreter for deaf people by chance?

BeckyRose1998

PICKLES THE KID
I speak 3 languages: English (being my primary language), French and Spanish :)
French: Bonjour, commet allez vous?
Spanish: Hola, como estas?
English: Hello, how are you?

Flankerl

You are also amazing. Austrian is very difficult for us Americans learning German. It is those darned "l's" at the end of words. I am assuming you learned Hoch Deutsch in der Schule? Are you an interpreter for deaf people by chance?

I wouldnt say that iam amazing, all the languages i learned i had to learn if i wanted to be part of society. ;)
Yes i learned Hochdeutsch in school here in germany. Weird language...

No iam not an interpreter, just mute since iam 6 years old.