• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes Islam a religion of peace

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I gotta admit, I could make it through only the first 3 pages of this thread. As an anti-theist I think the following summary is both accurate and delightful:

Q: Why is Islam called a religion of peace?
A: Well Christianity is every bit as violent as Islam!

Hooray!
Peace be on you.
I understand humbly that a religion comes in the time of moral and spiritual chaos to make peace but as time passes, corrupt clergies etc makes it such that the very religion seems source of problems.
Prophet comes:
[9:33] He it is Who sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth, that He may make it prevail over every other religion, even though the idolaters may dislike it.

What latter clergies do:
[9:34] O ye who believe! surely, many of the priests and monks devour the wealth of men by false means and turn men away from the way of Allah. And those who hoard up gold and silver and spend it not in the way of Allah — give to them the tidings of a painful punishment,

And much latter people begin to blame the religion as whole.
That is actually a time of appearance of reformer, if such religion said it was for all times.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Hi Dawud,

It strikes me that all the energy you put into proper interpretation of your religion is a waste of your valuable time and energy.

You already know what good morality is! You use the moral compass you have inside of you, to know how to "properly" interpret your religion, correct?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Can one say same for you?

That is a fairly surprising question, and I am interested in some elaboration.

Are you implying that we do, in fact, need some reference from God to have an understanding of morality? Or was the question not quite about that?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Can one say same for you?

I could interpret this one of several ways...

- the way Luis did
- perhaps you're asking me if I'm wasting my time criticizing religion? (in which case, I'd say no, it's a good use of my time)

Instead of guessing further, Dawud, can you explain your comment?

mahasn ebn sawresho

36743.jpg
This Egyptians supporters of the Wafd Party logo
There is a big difference Cross and Crescent Islamic
And it can not be the God of Islam are the same God of Christianity
There is a big difference between them

mahasn ebn sawresho

I gotta admit, I could make it through only the first 3 pages of this thread. As an anti-theist I think the following summary is both accurate and delightful:

Q: Why is Islam called a religion of peace?

A: Well Christianity is every bit as violent as Islam!

Hooray!
This call is worthless
They call invalid because the texts of the Koran to prove just the opposite
Christ told us by their fruits you shall know them
Islam and the fruits of the first of his time with Muhammad and later Caliphs and to this day is killing and bloodshed
Paragraph a
I think it's not true
Because Christianity is not violent
And texts to prove this
What are the Evangelical texts that prove your invitation this ???

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There is a big difference Cross and Crescent Islamic
And it can not be the God of Islam are the same God of Christianity
There is a big difference between them

Hi, Mahasn.

Personally, I think it is rather clear that even within small communities of believers that pray together at the same temples the Gods are not often the same.

People hold different, sometimes frankly irreconciliable expectations about the attributes, goals and values personified by their conceptions of God.

Theistic religion should in my opinion make a serious effort towards clarifying what is meant each time one speaks of God, so that both agreements and disagreements are better understood and dealt with.

As things stand now, it is all too common for confusion to exist in their place. That often translates into superficial union that does not however mean much at all, leading to mistrust and unnecessary anxiety.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This call is worthless
They call invalid because the texts of the Koran to prove just the opposite
Christ told us by their fruits you shall know them
Islam and the fruits of the first of his time with Muhammad and later Caliphs and to this day is killing and bloodshed
Paragraph a
I think it's not true
Because Christianity is not violent
And texts to prove this
What are the Evangelical texts that prove your invitation this ???

The question does present itself, though: why should one attempt to evidence that either Islam or Christianity means to support peace just by contrasting the one with the other?

Shouldn't the evidence be independent of other religions, instead?

That is what I understood Icehorse to be asking and I happen to agree with him.

As for the evidence that you ask for... I do not usually approve of lending much weight to scriptures, since I view them as inherently limited and unsuitable for a significant role in religious practice. But it seems that you agree that the Qur'an does in fact encourage, if not violence, at least hostility towards non-Muslims and, particularly, disbelievers.

Unfortunately, as you also point out, history makes it hard to challenge that worry. Christianity might perhaps be somewhat better, but that would not be a function of the Christian scripture alone. Religions are far more than their scriptures (and they are supposed to be).

In any case, if we want to refer to Christian Scripture, we will find a lot to worry about in there, from genocidal armies blessed by God (Numbers 31) to Jesus claiming that he comes with the sword (Matthew 10:34).