• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes You A Christian?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
some people here at the forum toss the label my way.....
the Carpenter is my Inspiration.

but as I stand before God and heaven.....there may be some raised eyebrows

and the Carpenter Himself might kick my butt

Deidre

I 'use' the label as it easily identifies in an abbreviated way, to follower of Christ. So, what 'makes' me a follower of Christ, is that I was led back to faith by the Holy Spirit. I was an atheist, this time last year. That's just 'my story,' but what identifies others as Christians, all the answers will vary.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Very simple...what makes you (or anyone) a Christian?
(Hey, I like that signature :))

The process by which a person is saved is; God reveals himself to an individual, the individual has the faith (which is given by God) to see the revelation, the individual receives the Holy Spirit (if it is the first revelation, which leads to regeneration), which justifies a person.

*edit* That's only the beginning though. *edit*

EverChanging

The early Jesus movement consisted of diverse groups with differing theologies and practices. Some groups were still Jewish or largely so theologically. Paul's teachings were quite different from that, similar to mystery religions.

I define myself as a Christian because my concept of Jesus (of which there have from the origins of Christianity been many) is how I enter into the mystery of God, my image of God, path to in and with God. Anyone who approaches God primarily through Jesus (whether as the second person of the Trinity, a lesser god, a prophet, or what have you) I likewise consider a Christian. I'm primarily using this as a pragmatic definition. Plenty of Christians will have little in common with me spiritually and may even have a dramatically different concept of Jesus. Their relationship with him may too be very different than mine.

My image of and relationship to Jesus is for example mediated through my own experience of him in life and prayer, scriptures, stories of him among saints, friends, and family, books, liturgy, sacraments and more.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
I believe a Christian is both a believer in and follower of Jesus Christ. I don't think there is any other requirement.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Trust Jesus for salvation, not baptism, obedience, repentance, sincerity, good deeds, charity, tongues, Spirit-filling.

Are you going to Heaven?
  1. Why?

2. Are you perfect?

3. No one’s perfect. We’ve got a problem, don’t we?

4. For this, there is only one solution.

It’s all about Jesus and trust is our natural response. Jesus Christ has done six vital things for us, took our sin, our guilt, our shame, received our punishment, He died on the cross to pay for our sin and He rose from the dead forever.

There’s only one way that He tells us to go to Heaven, to place our trust in Christ, to trust in what He did: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish in Hell but have eternal life in Heaven." (or Romans 6:23)

Just like we trust a bus driver to take us without our effort to a destination, we trust in Christ, and know assuredly we are going to Heaven.

5. Would you like to place your trust in Christ right now? (If you were to talk to God, what would you say to Him?)

rusra02

Premium Member

The answer is also simple, IMO. John 8:31 quotes Jesus: "Then Jesus went on to say to the Jews who had believed him: “If you remain in my word, you are really my disciples." "Then Jesus said to his disciples: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake and keep following me." (Matthew 16:24) Those who follow closely Christ's example and teachings are true Christians. (1 Peter 2:21)

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
The answer is also simple, IMO. John 8:31 quotes Jesus: "Then Jesus went on to say to the Jews who had believed him: “If you remain in my word, you are really my disciples." "Then Jesus said to his disciples: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake and keep following me." (Matthew 16:24) Those who follow closely Christ's example and teachings are true Christians. (1 Peter 2:21)

Matthew 16:24 reads "Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am going to think outside the box here. :D
1.What makes a person a Christian can mean what caused a person to live with Jesus in mind.
2.But they are all answering the question as though it reads; what identifies a person as Christian?

I am going to answer the first translation. I think it starts with a fear of God, then faith, hope, knowledge and finally, love.
I think all those are present in a believer of Christ Jesus which, I think, answers the second question.

* (not his real name) Jesus is a Jew therefore he would reject that Greek/English name if he could. I'll leave it at that.

I would like to know what people think Jesus commands us to do.
Because, if we are under an authoritative order to love God and one another how is it love?

Last edited:

First Baseman

Retired athlete
I would like to know what people think Jesus commands us to do.
Because, if we are under an authoritative order to love God and one another how is it love?

Huh? Yes, it is a commandment but it shouldn't be necessary to command it. As a matter of fact St. Peter said that a person cannot love God who does not love others.

The Holy Spirit enables us to love all and forgive all. Otherwise I don't think it could be done.

Crypto2015

Believing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who resurrected from the dead and accepting Jesus' sacrifice on the cross as a propitiation for my own sins.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Believing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who resurrected from the dead and accepting Jesus' sacrifice on the cross as a propitiation for my own sins.

Just a little P.S. to Jesus is the Son of God ' whom God resurrected for the dead ' - Acts of the Apostles 3:15; Acts of the Apostles 5:30; Acts of the Apostles 13:30; Colossians 2:12 B

SAHAJANANDA

A CHRISTIAN is one who lives in the fullness of the love of God manifesting in the fullness of the love of neighbour. A 'Christian' is one who is striving to grow into the fullness of the love of God and fullness of the love of neighbour. Jesus Christ was a CHRISTIAN because in him the love of God was full when he said ' the Father and are one; the love of neighbour was full when he said ' whatever you do to the others or the least you do to me'.He was one with God, one with the creation and one with the whole of humanity. Christ means unity .Christians are those who live in different degrees of love of God and love of neighbourare and are striving to grow into CHRISTIANS, into the fullness. It is a journey from divisions to unity.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
A CHRISTIAN is one who lives in the fullness of the love of God manifesting in the fullness of the love of neighbour. A 'Christian' is one who is striving to grow into the fullness of the love of God and fullness of the love of neighbour. Jesus Christ was a CHRISTIAN because in him the love of God was full when he said ' the Father and are one; the love of neighbour was full when he said ' whatever you do to the others or the least you do to me'.He was one with God, one with the creation and one with the whole of humanity. Christ means unity .Christians are those who live in different degrees of love of God and love of neighbour are and are striving to grow into CHRISTIANS, into the fullness. It is a journey from divisions to unity.

Jesus did pray that his followers be one just as he and his Father are one at John 17:11; John 17:21-23
That unity, love, and the treatment of Christ' ' spiritual brothers - Matthew 25:40 - includes more than just loving neighbor because even an atheist can love his neighbor. A Christian 'picks up' the assignment of Matthew 28:18-20; Matthew 24:14 which anyone Not a Christian would Not do.