• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What movies do you like and why?

biased

The Matrix Trilogy - The Wachowski's intended it to be a trilogy this is especially evident if you watch Ken Wilber and Cornel West commentary. I find it to be a fantastic Gnostic allegory all with the modern technological trappings of our modern technological society. The Animatrix is also excellent.

The Fountain - I just rewatched this film and it's got to be in my top 10. I think it brings out some important themes such as that life is short and that we should live in the moment and not be caught up with work obligations, love transcends all :) and that there just might be a way back to a state before the fall of Adam.

Serial Experiments Lain - This isn't a movie but a japanese animation series (anime) and it deserves to be mentioned. This series deals with a 13 year old schoolgirl who receives an email from a classmate who killed herself yet still exists online (referred to as "the wired"). Lain, a socially isolated schoolgirl with few friends who seemingly doesn't have much experience with technology has an alternative persona within the wired which exists independent of her. Not going to spoil anything but there are a few interpretations of the ending dealing with various philosophies notably existentialism and some buddhist leanings. The girl in my avatar is the main character, Lain.

Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke - These two Hayao Miyazaki films just immerse you into a world filled with wonder and awe. Spirited Away transports you into a world of mythology with dragons, pigs, spirits, etc. It makes me feel like a child. Princess Mononoke is the ultimate human journey. From a man who knew little of the world who goes out into the world to come across an industrious women's drive for power and greed at the cost of dozens (hundreds?) of innocent life and the very organic lifeforce itself.

Some other mentions. My Sassy Girl (the Korean one!) this is one of the best romance films I've ever seen. It deals with a directionless man who comes across a drunk girl which soon turns out to be one of the most important moments in his life. Truly a touching tale and as for action I think not much can compare to Kite. An attractive teenage assassin who works for a pedophile who well, assassinates people but ultimately wishes for a peaceful life and revenge for those who killed her family. Warning: It is very graphic both sexually (at least the uncut version) and gore-wise.