• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What music brings you joy?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Today I was skimming through facebook and happened upon an Ode to Joy from a few years ago which I then found on YouTube. With all the negative **** flowing these days from Ukraine, Middle East, China, American and other elections, climate change, economy and on and on, for some reason this time the Ode to Joy broke through all that gloom and doom and I felt the joy. So I'm wondering what might do that for you?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I love that! It makes me happy by the way. Here's another one that makes me happy:

Baby Love by Mother's Finest and I don't know why the very first part is like a karaoke bar. But it's not for very long. I think the real song starts at about 17 seconds in. Anyway, it's the first song that came to my mind.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I always hope for some sunshine in my back door...

Because the sun will come out tomorrow...

In the Age of Aquarius ....

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Today I was skimming through facebook and happened upon an Ode to Joy from a few years ago which I then found on YouTube. With all the negative **** flowing these days from Ukraine, Middle East, China, American and other elections, climate change, economy and on and on, for some reason this time the Ode to Joy broke through all that gloom and doom and I felt the joy. So I'm wondering what might do that for you?

Always fond of Beethoven, and yes, the 9th symphony (Ode to Joy last movement) is a great one. The Ode is actually a poem by Friedrich Schiller in 1785. But really, all of Beethoven's work brings me happiness (hey, I like his only opera, Fidelio, better than Beethoven did himself!).

Obviously, I'm into classical music more than anything, but among my great favourites are, some are quite modern:
  • Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquín Rodrigo for guitar (1939), truly beautiful
  • All of Puccini's operas
  • Chanson dans la Nuit (playable only on pedal harp) by Carlos Salzedo (1928), complex and striking
  • The Armed Man: a Mass for Peace by Welsh composer Karl Jenkins (1999), especially the Benedictus (I really recommend giving that one a listen on You Tube
    )
  • Gabriel's Oboe from the score to The Mission, by Enrico Morricone (1986)
  • At the Lake of Wallenstadt from Les Annees de Pellerinage by Franz Liszt around 1855
  • Flower Duet from the opera Lakme by Delibes
  • Miserere by Allegri (just wait until you hear the boy soprano Roy Goodman in this recording from the 1960s, King's College Cambridge choir -
    )
And about 12 million other examples of great music, from the first opera ever (Dido and Aeneas by Henry Purcell) to Vangelis Papathanassiou (Chariots of Fire). There's no end to what I love to listen to.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Hudsucker Proxy....the whole movie brings a smile.
Great score. (Carter Burwell borrowed heavily from
Khatchaturian) Especially....

More Carter Burwell (borrowing from a Norwegian hymn)...