• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What music brings you joy?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
"Awen is the ‘flowing spirit’ of Bardic inspiration and creativity. I wanted to write a song that summed up how I felt about the beauty, and wonder, of the natural world. A song that filled me up every time I heard the lyrics, as it told of how the Gods show themselves to us everyday through the world of nature.Song of Awen was the result. -Damh the Bard "

See me as the Sun on the mountaintop,
Feel me in the power of the seas.
Hear me in the laughter of the stream,
Power of nature, power of the trees.

Bridge:
It is you who are broken,
You are part of me,
Some of you have awoken,
But others might never be free.

Chorus:
This is my song, this is my voice,
These are my words, this is my choice.
Hear me now, take heed of my words.
Love me now, and your spirit will fly.

Hear me in the howling of the wolf,
My voice is the song of the Bards,
I am the power that helps the salmon leap,
I am the very first breath of a child.

I am the wild, and I am the tame,
I am the calm and I am the storm.
I am the sound of your beating heart,
I am your blood and I am your bone.

Bridge 2:
It is you who are broken,
You are part of me,
There is no seperation,
So dance, sing and be free.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Always fond of Beethoven, and yes, the 9th symphony (Ode to Joy last movement) is a great one. The Ode is actually a poem by Friedrich Schiller in 1785. But really, all of Beethoven's work brings me happiness (hey, I like his only opera, Fidelio, better than Beethoven did himself!).

Obviously, I'm into classical music more than anything, but among my great favourites are, some are quite modern:
  • Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquín Rodrigo for guitar (1939), truly beautiful
  • All of Puccini's operas
  • Chanson dans la Nuit (playable only on pedal harp) by Carlos Salzedo (1928), complex and striking
  • The Armed Man: a Mass for Peace by Welsh composer Karl Jenkins (1999), especially the Benedictus (I really recommend giving that one a listen on You Tube
    )
  • Gabriel's Oboe from the score to The Mission, by Enrico Morricone (1986)
  • At the Lake of Wallenstadt from Les Annees de Pellerinage by Franz Liszt around 1855
  • Flower Duet from the opera Lakme by Delibes
  • Miserere by Allegri (just wait until you hear the boy soprano Roy Goodman in this recording from the 1960s, King's College Cambridge choir -
    )
And about 12 million other examples of great music, from the first opera ever (Dido and Aeneas by Henry Purcell) to Vangelis Papathanassiou (Chariots of Fire). There's no end to what I love to listen to.
You know I actually agree with you that classical is probably one of the few music venues well worth listening to.

It takes on a new kind of flavor, and a much happier and more layed back one. I often times listen to classical music while at work, and it does take the sting out of the hours that drag on in a nostalgic way that pretty much chills out to one of an easier more simpler time through a retrospective lens.