• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What now Mr President

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Can't we all agree that Gadaffi is a murderous tyrant and needs to be face justice? Despite the fact that U.S. would not be involved if oil sands were not, nobody should let this go on.

Get off your soap box. I totally agree with you that Gadaffi shouldn't brutalize his people. But please stop pretending like he's alone. He is joined in similar practice by nations who we've supported, who we've built up, who we've protected.We only care when we want to. Where is the outcry with all the other nations facing similar problems where we do nothing?

What about the consistent genocide in Sudan that we haven't addressed militarily at all? What about the Salvadoran civil war, wherein the Salvadoran government brutalized it's people, killed it's own children, and who asked for and received support from the US?

We're not the world's saviors. We're not valiant heroes who fight for "what's right". We're selfish ******** who do what we think is best for us (which usually means what's financially best for those in power).

Don't get me wrong, I love this country, and I hope to see it prosper, but we won't get better if we keep pretending like we are heroes. We need to face the facts and start making decisions based on reason and not on fleeting passion-filled whims.

This is what's wrong with the world, selfishness instead of altruism.

On a personal level I agree. Individually we should all strive to be more altruistic. The government is different. The government, by the very nature of what it is, MUST be selfish. It must take into account those who make it up and fund it before it takes anyone or anything else into account.

I pay taxes, a lot of taxes, and I do not like that I'm threatened with jail if I don't support a nation that doesn't really show any logical attempt to protect my interests. I continue to see idiots take my money and spend it on things that most agree are ridiculous causes and they do so without reproach.

Fortunately for the US, I am far too much a patriot to start a revolution. But if one arises my only response to the bewildered will be "Didn't you see the ******* signs?" Because this sort of ***** show can't go on forever.

Believe me, I am 100% with ya here. The problem is our history of military action has given us so many ways for the rest of the world to perceive us that no matter what we do, it's going to get turned around and used against us.

Kinda sucks actually.

We can fix it, by doing what's right and being consistent. I bet you the world has a bigger problem with us fighting our allies 20 years down the road than it does with us getting involved in other nation's business.

We have got to stop half-assedly propping up puppet governments only to spend billions in war against them later. I think Gadaffi is a horrible person if what is said about him is true, but I don't believe the US should bomb and eventually set up a new government. Because we all know that is what will happen. We will bomb, we will send in troops, we will take Gadaffi down, and then we'll set up some other weak fragile government that will end up in the same situation 10-15 years later.

I'm no historian but I'm not retard either. It's obvious that our current policy doesn't work. It hasn't ever worked.

Last edited:

Chisti

Can't we all agree that Gadaffi is a murderous tyrant and needs to be face justice? Despite the fact that U.S. would not be involved if oil sands were not, nobody should let this go on.

He's been in power for thirty years, yet he's become a 'murderous tyrant' only last week or so. Interesting!

elcazador

He's been in power for thirty years, yet he's become a 'murderous tyrant' only last week or so. Interesting!
Libya has been a pariah state that we've got nothing but obviously falsified fascist-style reports out of, now that there is no hiding it the world's eyes are fully open.