• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What race was Jesus?

Smoke

Done here.
Well, all of Indo-Europe was founded by Neolithic nomadic tribes that came from Northern Africa (Egypt). place, which in turn allowed them to 'think' about esoteric things.
Ultimately, all humans come from Africa. It's specifying Egypt that I'm doubtful about.

dust1n

Zindīq
That's your answer to the question "What race was Jesus?"

He was of the Muslim race?

I'm trying to wonder how big of a gap exists in the leap of faith of thinking that Jesus was a proponent to a religion that didn't exist for 600 years after his life.

Smoke

Done here.
I'm trying to wonder how big of a gap exists in the leap of faith of thinking that Jesus was a proponent to a religion that didn't exist for 600 years after his life.
Muslims think Islam has existed as long as humans have. Noah was a Muslim prophet, Enoch was a Muslim prophet, Adam was a Muslim prophet. Obviously, I don't think that's at all credible, but it's not the kind of thing it's worthwhile arguing about.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I always hear these arguments saying the bible said Jesus had "skin of bronze hair of wool." Is this true? Is this really in the bible somewhere? And if it is true, why do Christians depict him otherwise?

It seems that people paint Jesus to look like themselves. But to answer the question, Jesus was Jewish and lived in the Middle East.

Half Asleep

Crazy-go-nuts
"Race" remains completely historically and culturally subjective. Jesus had no "race" in modern terms because he lived in ancient times before "Black," "White," "Asian," "Latino," etc. had been invented for socio-political purposes.

dust1n

Zindīq
Muslims think Islam has existed as long as humans have. Noah was a Muslim prophet, Enoch was a Muslim prophet, Adam was a Muslim prophet. Obviously, I don't think that's at all credible, but it's not the kind of thing it's worthwhile arguing about.

Hmm. I guess it's ok for me to claim that everyone previous to the book was also Discordian.

"Race" remains completely historically and culturally subjective. Jesus had no "race" in modern terms because he lived in ancient times before "Black," "White," "Asian," "Latino," etc. had been invented for socio-political purposes.

Well said. Welcome to RF.

Arkholt

Non-vessel
Artists' depictions of Christ, as well as the people he ministered to, vary greatly, and correspond to the race/nationality of the artist, as has been stated. Rembrandt painted Christ and his followers as Dutch, even wearing the styles of clothing popular in Rembrandt's own time. Carravagio did the same, and some 19th century American painters did as well. It's not about depicting what anyone actually looked like; it's about depicting a feeling or emotion, and helping the viewer to identify with what's going on.

I've seen certain depictions of Christ as African/Asian/Hispanic, and the ones that are actually effective are the ones that adopt the actual style of that culture. A Christ figure that looks Asian in a modern, realistic style doesn't seem to send its message very well, at least to me. A Christ depicted in the highly stylized traditional Japanese style of painting is much more effective.

I find this similar to depictions of Buddha across Asia; the Indian Buddha looks different from the Chinese Buddha, which looks different from Buddhas in other Asian countries.

Also... while I know this isn't a discussion on art, I just could help myself. :)