• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion are you?

Please read the first post before answering

• Total voters

Ðanisty

Maize said:
LaVeyan Satanism is a religion, atheism desribes a belief, or lack thereof. For example, Buddhism is atheistic as well, but it is still a religion.
From my understanding, both are more like philosophies than religions. That, at least, is the general consensus on the other forums I frequent. How do you define a religion? If atheists can be Satanists and then be considered religious, then atheists could follow any philosophy and be considered religious.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Ðanisty said:
If atheists can be Satanists and then be considered religious, then atheists could follow any philosophy and be considered religious.
Absolutely. But atheism is not their religion, it's a description. Just as theism is not a religion, but describes a type of belief.

godfree1

BruceDLimber said:
It is, however, quasi-religious, in that it shares many attributes with religions.
I believe that there is nothing about atheism that is even remotely religious. In my view, atheism is the anti-religion. What are the "many attributes" that atheism "shares" with religion?

Indeed, some atheists are fully as much into proselytizing as are some religionists! . . .
The truth shouldn't need proponents, but it's found one in me anyway.

godfree1

time_spender said:
Islam.The religion of peace.
As long as humanity capitulates to religious belief, we shall never know peace.

Religion (which necessarily includes Islam):

thumb_down.jpg

Faith is belief for no reason. Faith is the absence of reason. Faith is the opposite of reason.

Fluffy

A fool
It is listed in the poll. Reread the first post in the thread.
Well of course it is. Asking the question "Which religion are you?" and having an option for those who aren't part of a religion seems perfectly logical to me :).

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
godfree1 said:
It is listed in the poll. Reread the first post in the thread.
Ah, I was looking at the actual poll options. 'Secular' would imply that it is not a religion, wouldn't you say?

godfree1

Maize said:
Ah, I was looking at the actual poll options. 'Secular' would imply that it is not a religion, wouldn't you say?
The poll's opening question is presumptuous and should have been re-phrased. Atheism is not a religion, though it was included in the poll through the author's definition of terms and instructions set forth in the first post that participants are directed to read, which was my point.

Bangbang

godfree1 said:
The poll's opening question is presumptuous and should have been re-phrased. Atheism is not a religion, though it was included in the poll through the author's definition of terms and instructions set forth in the first post that participants are directed to read, which was my point.
Good point.....so why are we here? Just turned Athiest for the evening. Bang puts all candles in the garbage.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i selected "other" as i am a blend of many thoughts and ideas, that cannot be tied down to one category - but mostly the basic christian message and the theistic side of paganism, with some practices from wicca and other aspects of the occult :D