• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should I do in regards to my religious affiliation?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I find the social theology in Reform Judaism appealing and the theology in general appealing. The main thing I like about the Seventh Day Adventist church is the following of the Sabbath mostly.

I know for sure I'm quite a long bit away from both Catholic theology and Islamic theology as well.
What stops you from committing to Reform Judaism?

Swede01

If that's a major concern, I imagine its something you could address with medical professionals.
And another thing is that I am a bit uncertain in general for these kinds of things. I rarely discuss religion at all but read sometimes and thus I know I feel theologically closer to Reform Judaism and Seventh Day Adventism.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
And another thing is that I am a bit uncertain in general for these kinds of things. I rarely discuss religion at all but read sometimes and thus I know I feel theologically closer to Reform Judaism and Seventh Day Adventism.
Perhaps discussing religion with either Reform Jews or Seventh Day Adventists would be the next step, then.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Perhaps you should continue exploring:
What are the rules for Reform Jews?

Reform Judaism does not require male circumcision. Reform Jews affirm interfaith marriages. Reform Jews may work on Shabbat but do often attend religious services. Reform Jews do not follow the dietary laws of Judaism as Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox Jews do.

https://study.com › academy › lesson

Reform Judaism | Definition, Movement & Beliefs - Study.com

Seventh-day Adventists differ in only four areas of beliefs from the mainstream Trinitarian Christian denominations. These are the Sabbath day, the doctrine of the heavenly sanctuary, the status of the writings of Ellen White, and their doctrine of the second coming and millennium.Jul 30, 2009

BBC - Home › christianity

Religions - Christianity: Seventh-day Adventists - BBC

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I firmly oppose Catholic theology and Islamic theology and I am a member of the Church of Sweden but not active and I do not find Jesus as a g-d-like figure either although he did some good things. Based of previous studies I find myself the closest to Reform Judaism and the Seventh Day Adventist Church and Jeffersonian Christianity as I am a bit unclear about the existence of G-d right now but I am also open to believing as well.
My advice would be to meditate on questions like how did we get here and where are we going. Then when you get those answers pick which religion is the closest to what you found out or you can walk your own path with those answers as the foundation.

Swede01

Perhaps you should continue exploring:
What are the rules for Reform Jews?

Reform Judaism does not require male circumcision. Reform Jews affirm interfaith marriages. Reform Jews may work on Shabbat but do often attend religious services. Reform Jews do not follow the dietary laws of Judaism as Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox Jews do.

https://study.com › academy › lesson

Reform Judaism | Definition, Movement & Beliefs - Study.com

_________________​

How is Seventh-day Adventist different from Christianity?

Seventh-day Adventists differ in only four areas of beliefs from the mainstream Trinitarian Christian denominations. These are the Sabbath day, the doctrine of the heavenly sanctuary, the status of the writings of Ellen White, and their doctrine of the second coming and millennium.Jul 30, 2009

BBC - Home › christianity

Religions - Christianity: Seventh-day Adventists - BBC

I know they do not require it but in order to be recognized as a "real jew" you need to in the closest synagogue to me as a convert. I am also yeah quite close to Seventh Day Adv as well.

I am the closest to Reform Judaism.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I know they do not require it but in order to be recognized as a "real jew" you need to in the closest synagogue to me as a convert. I am also yeah quite close to Seventh Day Adv as well.

I am the closest to Reform Judaism.
There are some very deep divides between the two religions you are contemplating. Just one will define your choice, so if it is the religious belief that you are interested in, that one point is all you need to make a decision on.

Was Jesus, literally, God incarnate, who lived, suffered, died, and arose again to pay for humankind's sins? Yes or No.

If it's a social community you are interested in, then you need to determine which offers the best fit, but I must warn you, neither will accept you for conversion without the "belief conviction." Yes or No.

Good luck!

Swede01

There are some very deep divides between the two religions you are contemplating. Just one will define your choice, so if it is the religious belief that you are interested in, that one point is all you need to make a decision on.

Was Jesus, literally, God incarnate, who lived, suffered, died, and arose again to pay for humankind's sins? Yes or No.

If it's a social community you are interested in, then you need to determine which offers the best fit, but I must warn you, neither will accept you for conversion without the "belief conviction." Yes or No.

Good luck!
I know and I am also far more progressive on LGBT+ and abortion than the Seventh Day Adventists so I lean more to Reform Judaism closer.

I do not believe Jesus was that.

I know that.

Swede01

I know and I am also far more progressive on LGBT+ and abortion than the Seventh Day Adventists so I lean more to Reform Judaism closer.

I do not believe Jesus was that.

I know that.
Is it like normal to not be 100% certain in about things like this? I was raised like an atheist and was like a "Reddit-atheist" like 8-9 years ago.

Swede01

Is it like normal to not be 100% certain in about things like this? I was raised like an atheist and was like a "Reddit-atheist" like 8-9 years ago.
With that being said I feel close to reform Judaism theologically and do what I talked about before.

Swede01

Why do you want to commit? This seems like some kind of neurosis. What disaster would befall you if you just ignored the whole controversy?
No it's not some kind of neurotic in any share or form. I am completely fine.

I have also thought of converting to reform judaism before as well due to theological reasons like 5-6 years ago.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No it's not some kind of neurotisk in any share or form. I am completely fine.

I have also thought of converting to reform judaism before as well due to theological reasons like 5-6 years ago.
Are you thinking of religion as a sort of psychotherapeutic modality, or comforting myth? The only problem I'd have with these is the fact that religion, in particular, usually claims to represent some ontologic reality, almost always with scant objective supporting evidence.

Swede01

Are you thinking of religion as a sort of psychotherapeutic modality, or comforting myth? The only problem I'd have with these is the fact that religion, in particular, usually claims to represent some ontologic reality, almost always with scant objective supporting evidence.
I know what I am getting myself into. That's kind of a weird question as I like the theology.

Swede01

Why do you think it necessary for you to integrate or identify with one specific or even several different theological perspectives?
I said that I am just curious and idk what exactly to do with me being close to Reform Judaism and somewhat with Seventh Day Adventism.

Swede01

Bc like I feel close to Reform Judaism but idk If I should convert or wait for a bit and not stress about it