• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should i know before considering to become a freemason?

jasonwill2

I have a ton amount of Masons in my family, and have thought about joining them, but is there anything I should know before I actually really consider joining a fraternity?

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I have a ton amount of Masons in my family, and have thought about joining them, but is there anything I should know before I actually really consider joining a fraternity?
It's mandatory to hold a belief in a monotheistic God in order to be a mason, AFAIK. Although it may get a bit vague.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You won't likely be among company that's accepting or understanding of you. While there certainly are exceptions, from my understanding members are typically elderly christian conservatives (and consider your neck of the woods).

jasonwill2

It's mandatory to hold a belief in a monotheistic God in order to be a mason, AFAIK. Although it may get a bit vague.

I've heard different, as it just has to be a higher power. Not monotheism. Are you sure? I believe in one creator, but that is a kind of pantheistic creator...

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I've heard different, as it just has to be a higher power. Not monotheism. Are you sure? I believe in one creator, but that is a kind of pantheistic creator...
That's what I mean by getting vague. While officially they may talk about the monotheistic God, potential new members may simply hold a belief in a general universal higher power. Although I was encouraged by a Mason in Somerset to become one after we had a talk about religion, I can't really speak from experience about how strict they are about this. The guy was pretty liberal in his personality and in the discussion, I can't tell if he would place a criteria for me to believe in the one God in order to join.
Eitherway, while I enjoyed visiting several historical Masonic sites and lodges in England and Scotland I dont have first hand experience about the process of becoming a mason.

Last edited:

jasonwill2

That's what I mean by getting vague. While officially they may talk about the monotheistic God, potential new members may simply hold a belief in a general universal higher power. Although I was encouraged by a Mason in Someret to become one after we had a talk about religion, I can't really speak from experience about how strict they are about this. The guy was pretty liberal in his personality and in the discussion, I can't tell if he would place a criteria for me to believe in the one God in order to join.
Eitherway, while I enjoyed visiting several historical Masonic sites and lodges in England and Scotland I dont have first hand experience about the process of becoming a mason.

I could ask one of my Masonic relatives how that goes, I guess... but that might take a little while because none are in my immediate family and I'll have to get the contacts to the ones in my extended family.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
YOu have to understand the teaching foremost or else you will not progress to higher levels.

sew.excited73

Wendy-Anne - I am Dutch/British
I could ask one of my Masonic relatives how that goes, I guess... but that might take a little while because none are in my immediate family and I'll have to get the contacts to the ones in my extended family.
Did you join in the end?

I am female so they would never consider me anyway, but I don't think I could join just on the grounds of having to 'subject' yourself to higher levels. I don't do hierarchy, in general. I mean at work, yes, it helps to have a 'role division' and there it is often based on someone being 'better than' someone else at certain things which are important for the team to perform well and reached the ultimate joint goal. But if they disrespect me, I am out of there anyway... so, in a sense it would be better saying that at work I 'tolerate' hierarchy, because I can see it serves a purpose there.

But in general life, I mean, who is to say that the CEO of a company is a 'better' person that the man who empties his bins, for example? So, I don't see a reason for hierarchy to exist as such... job roles, yes, hierarchy based on class or caste or just ancestry or whatever: absolutely not! So why would I subject myself to another person?

I am not lower than anyone else and I am not higher than anyone else. And neither are you, or your neighbour or anyone else. No matter how much of a grandiose narcissist you may be, I will only respect you on behaviour and mutual respect, and you do not need to gain my respect, you have it, until you do something to lose it. (Actually, thinking about it... if you are a narcissist, you are more likely to fall in that latter group, in due course ;))

Last edited:

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Did you join in the end?

I am female so they would never consider me anyway, but I don't think I could join just on the grounds of having to 'subject' yourself to higher levels. I don't do hierarchy, in general. I mean at work, yes, it helps to have a 'role division' and there it is often based on someone being 'better than' someone else at certain things which are important for the team to perform well and reached the ultimate joint goal. But if they disrespect me, I am out of there anyway... so, in a sense it would be better saying that at work I 'tolerate' hierarchy, because I can see it serves a purpose there.

But in general life, I mean, who is to say that the CEO of a company is a 'better' person that the man who empties his bins, for example? So, I don't see a reason for hierarchy to exist as such... job roles, yes, hierarchy based on class or caste or just ancestry or whatever: absolutely not! So why would I subject myself to another person?

I am not lower than anyone else and I am not higher than anyone else. And neither are you, or your neighbour or anyone else. No matter how much of a grandiose narcissist you may be, I will only respect you on behaviour and mutual respect, and you do not need to gain my respect, you have it, until you do something to lose it. (Actually, thinking about it... if you are a narcissist, you are more likely to fall in that latter group, in due course ;))

There are female accepting Orders, but they aren't considered a traditional lodge.

Also, there are no hierarchies really in masonry afaik, everyone is 'equal' within the lodge CEO to Beggar all are treated the same.

I'm not a member but was interviewing to join once upon a time, and know another person who is active.

sew.excited73

There are female accepting Orders, but they aren't considered a traditional lodge.

Also, there are no hierarchies really in masonry afaik, everyone is 'equal' within the lodge CEO to Beggar all are treated the same.

I'm not a member but was interviewing to join once upon a time, and know another person who is active.
Oh, in that case I probably totally misunderstood the levels, and the rites you needs to perform to be accepted on a higher rung of their 33-rung ladder and be let in on more secrets.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Oh, in that case I probably totally misunderstood the levels, and the rites you needs to perform to be accepted on a higher rung of their 33-rung ladder and be let in on more secrets.
There aren't secrets with the levels afaik.

The secrets are just how they do the rituals the actual performance, the words said etc. Most of these stories center on morality afaik. So what you gain from the different levels is just more knowledge of the rites within masonry and what they mean to the individual and the collective.

Again, I'm not a member so if one wants to answer moreso, maybe they can.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It isn't so much that any 'rank' is better, its more different levels of growth and responsibility.

A baby is not better than an adult. They just have different abilities. A baby will need more help than an adult. An adult must guide a baby.

The third degree is the highest, though. The other degrees are 'extras'.

It is a mystery school at its highest, and a social order at its most basic.

sew.excited73

It isn't so much that any 'rank' is better, its more different levels of growth and responsibility.

A baby is not better than an adult. They just have different abilities. A baby will need more help than an adult. An adult must guide a baby.

The third degree is the highest, though. The other degrees are 'extras'.

It is a mystery school at its highest, and a social order at its most basic.
It might be stemming from my catholic upbringing perhaps, but I just can’t understand why there needs to be a hierarchy?

Looking at all the gold that is glistening of the highest levels of some churches, and all the fancy clothes…all that money could have been used to feed the poor.
Yes, some churches also feed the poor, even catholic ones, but still…
Jesus and God don’t need all that pomp and palaver, and neither should we! Good clothes fine, I am not saying you should go as far as Jesus and walk around in a potato sack, but golden riches and stitches when you should be setting an example? Isn’t that hypocracy?

ok, jinx… I do still want to win the lottery please, or have enough to pay of our debts and live comfortably at least :innocent::tearsofjoy:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It might be stemming from my catholic upbringing perhaps, but I just can’t understand why there needs to be a hierarchy?
I'm confused at what you think this hierarchy is?
Looking at all the gold that is glistening of the highest levels of some churches, and all the fancy clothes…all that money could have been used to feed the poor.
Yes, some churches also feed the poor, even catholic ones, but still…
Jesus and God don’t need all that pomp and palaver, and neither should we! Good clothes fine, I am not saying you should go as far as Jesus and walk around in a potato sack, but golden riches and stitches when you should be setting an example? Isn’t that hypocracy?
I'm not certain where this fits the topic.

The Freemasonry in popular culture isn't typically how Freemasonry actually functions.