• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what should this belief system be called?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Any particular feelings on how, for lack of better words, distinct and separate are the divine from the human?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why do you need a label at all? Your belief system is almost certainly unique (like most people who have given the topic any kind of consideration) so "Eddi's beliefs" would work fine. Anyway, since you can't think of a term that covers yous specific beliefs, anything you do decide to use is unlikely to be understood by anyone you tell (and certainly not in the same way) so you'd have to explain the relevant details in any context anyway.

Actually Eddieism sounds pretty good to me

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Any particular feelings on how, for lack of better words, distinct and separate are the divine from the human?
I think humanity is a part of what might be called "the universe", which is a part of what I call "creation", which is a kind of emanation from what I have started to call The Monad although I have no idea how that actually works

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Why do you need a label at all?
Because other people have labels and I want one too

Because human nature!
"Eddi's beliefs"
Actually Eddieism sounds pretty good to me
I think that would be big-headed and grandiose!

I think "Monadic Christian" will do, for now at least

I now need to spend some time thinking about my beliefs and I have much to think about

Many thanks to all those who have helped me in this thread :)

HonestJoe

They don't though, even if they think they do. The labels apply to specific religions, philosophical concepts or beliefs but no single label can cover all of the individual beliefs and practices of any one person and any label that applies to one person will apply to others who are, as a whole, entirely different people.

The problem with applying these labels to people is that it encourages lumping people in to broad groups so they can all be treated the same (and all too often, badly). I think that we need to discourage viewing people for what they are and focus on who they are. And that should start with ourselves.

You are Eddi. You already have a label that describes exactly who you are and what you believe and that is so much more important than any other label you might come up with.

What will it "do" though? It's not a label I've even heard of before and I very much doubt I'm alone, so even just on a practical basis, it achieves little to nothing in actually explaining your beliefs. Maybe you need to rethink why you believe you need this label in the first place.

GardenLady

Is it possible to be an atheist but to believe in things that are supernatural?

I guess this depends on your definition of supernatural. I know at least a couple of people who do not believe in Gods/gods but certainly believe in the existence of ghosts.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
What will it "do" though? It's not a label I've even heard of before and I very much doubt I'm alone, so even just on a practical basis, it achieves little to nothing in actually explaining your beliefs. Maybe you need to rethink why you believe you need this label in the first place.
I want my beliefs to be about my beliefs, not about me, hence I have named them

It's more of a name than a label

It feels more formal if it has a name of its own

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
I believe in a self-existent unmoved mover type Supreme Being who is the reason why there is something rather than nothing but don't believe this entity actually does anything (other than existing and causing us to exist) or is in any way personal

That which is impersonal but simply exists and is the source of the universe is perhaps beyond the idea of supreme being. Maybe it is the ultimate reality? What do you think about that?

I believe that the bible is an epic work of historical fiction with its own fictitious universe that is roughly based on real events but is not a scientific or historic text

Out of curiosity, do you identify with the figure Abraham in any way? I ask because I’ve heard of the idea of ultimately two types of Christianity—Abrahamic Christianity and Non-Abrahamic Christianity.

Because human nature!

Labels are helpful.

That label sounds pretty nice!

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
That which is impersonal but simply exists and is the source of the universe is perhaps beyond the idea of supreme being. Maybe it is the ultimate reality? What do you think about that?
Yes, I have stopped calling that which is absolute "The Supreme Being"

I no longer use that term
Out of curiosity, do you identify with the figure Abraham in any way? I ask because I’ve heard of the idea of ultimately two types of Christianity—Abrahamic Christianity and Non-Abrahamic Christianity.
I'm not at all interested in Abraham

Ebionite

If you believe in Jesus but not in the Abrahamic god, then what is your view of the nature and role of Jesus and of the Holy Spirit?
"God the Father" is part of the Trinitarian construct, it's particular to Christianity and not to the Abrahamic religions in general.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
"God the Father" is part of the Trinitarian construct, it's particular to Christianity and not to the Abrahamic religions in general.
True enough.

On the other hand, we were talking about Jesus specifically.

Yes, Jesus technically is not particular to Christianity either. But IMO that matters little. Far more often than not non-Christians view of Jesus end up either giving him little emphasis (Islam being the natural example) or not being strict enough to make much objection to Trinitarianism (the Bahai Faith, but many other examples exist as well).

Ebionite

giving him little emphasis (Islam being the natural example)
The name of Isa (Jesus) appears more often in the Quran than the name of Mohammad. IMO the Quran's text about the crucifixion is interesting because it is consistent with the Gnostic accounts of the crucifixion and it is meaningful in terms of the inconsistencies between the Christian doctrine of the crucifixion and the prophetic text relating to that doctrine.