• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What stops humans from living in harmony?

JMiller

I think we are capable of doing this, but what keeps us from doing it?

I am defining harmony as every human treats every other human with respect, kindness, support if need be, ensuring all humans are not in need of basic essentials.

Next question, is if today we as a species decided to enact this behavior, would the world be a better place, and is this something you would like to see take place?

InChrist

Free4ever

I am defining harmony as every human treats every other human with respect, kindness, support if need be, ensuring all humans are not in need of basic essentials.

Next question, is if today we as a species decided to enact this behavior, would the world be a better place, and is this something you would like to see take place?

I think most people would like to see harmony and peace take place, but but self-centered attitudes and pride prevent it. The Bible calls it sin and says this is the cause of strife.

gnomon

Innate psychology tied to our notions of ethnocentrism and the struggle for resources?

If you look at the majority of conflicts between people I posit that you will find those conflicts due primarily to ethnic differences and a fight over resources.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
there are too many different and opposing opinions for people to live in harmony

Everyone needs to stick to the same line of though, the same standards, the same morals and the same goals in order for there to be harmony.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Lack of wisdom, as manifested by destructive behaviors, unhealthy feelings and actions, and poor circunstances that we don't know how to change or avoid.

All too often we do not even recognize that as the worthy and necessary goal that it obviously is. Mostly out of fear and ignorance.

Sure. But far as I can tell that would meet (and does indeed meet) very strong resistance from most people. It invades our confort zones.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Ego IMO. There are many who HAVE to be better than their fellow man and do whatever it takes to achieve it including stepping on the ones who have no chance to defending themselves.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't why people don't live in harmony. After 45 years, I have decided that it is because people don't want to live in harmony. :)

outhouse

Atheistically
we are still primitive beings not far from primate ancestors

It shows in every action we makes a whole human population

we would all love to see humanity evolve foward

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
we are still primitive beings not far from primate ancestors

It shows in every action we makes a whole human population

we would all love to see humanity evolve foward

Chimpanzees (our closest relative) as violent as they are, are still not as violent as humans- so that statement really doesn't make much sense to me. But maybe I am just dense. (forgive me, it is that time that only women have)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ChristineES,

I don't why people don't live in harmony. After 45 years, I have decided that it is because people don't want to live in harmony.
What you mention is true but why do people do not want???
They follow their minds which does not want them to; it is the mind that decides on the individual's life according to his desires.

Love & rgds

Twig pentagram

High Priest

I think we do live in a fair amount of harmony, but don't get me wrong I do wish we could raise our level. Since we don't live in a high level of chaos I guess we're moving in the right direction though. At least I hope we are.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Chimpanzees (our closest relative) as violent as they are, are still not as violent as humans- so that statement really doesn't make much sense to me. But maybe I am just dense. (forgive me, it is that time that only women have)

maybe with our added intelligence, brings added anger and violence

I tell ya! those little cannibals cant be trusted lol :monkey:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I guess it is because people like me do not share your sanguine vision of utopia. I have little to no interest, in subscribing to such a sentimental worldview.

So, we rob people of the motivation of providing for themselves? Am I truly my brother's keeper? When do you start dictating to me how to behave in order to fit into your "one world" society? When do I no longer have a choice to tune you out? Give me diversity or give me death.

I think it would be a problematic pronouncement indicative of an out of touch elite who fail to grasp reality. I, for one, would not like to see it take place, especially at this time. The best we could hope for would be a mediocrity that would be unendurable in order to make everyone happy. No doubt the deep thinkers at the UN would make it a non-binding resolution...

(Sorry to pee on your carpet, but I don't have much patience for this line of thinking.)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's our basic phylogeny, our innate psychology.
Our psychology was honed over millions of years to compliment a hunting-gathering, small band society. It's not natural for us to regard others outside our band as "us." or to include them in our moral universe. In modern terms, band translates to status community, and it's still easy for us to deny moral consideration to communities we consider the Other.

We're still apes -- in three piece suits.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A greater question would be, why do people feel the need to tell others how they should live?

Because they realize that their lifes will eventually influence their own, and would rather have some measure of control on how that happens.

NemisisQ

BY MY COMMAND......
I basically prefer not to live in a world of grey. Where everybody is the same as me. In every way i see it, harmony can only be acheived by going grey, and their is no fun to this now is there?

The sweet sound of morning news reporting one disaster after another.