• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to you constitutes "modest" dress?

What, in your opinion is socially acceptable or modest dress?

Do you think that modest clothing are necessary in today's society, or are such restrictions merely unnecessary social conventions?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think what is considered modest is entirely based on context.

In my particular place of residence, modest dress would mean not shorter than knees not a covered cleavage.
And then depending on my particular location even within this geographical region, this standard would change. Eg/ place of worship, workplace, restaurants, beach/pools etc.

TommyDar

For me that is what users deem good enough for himself or herself.

No one has the right to tell anyone how the way in which they should conduct themselves, as long as the first action does not affect anyone else.

I do not accept the notion, for example, that we must put pressure on individuals to feel guilty because they do not dress like us. As long as people feel that certain clothing gave them warmth and privacy, other people should accept their choice.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Context is key. Different in different places, even in the same culture; massively different according to different cultures.

I like modesty, so long as it's not OTT: no burqas, forcing women to wear certain articles clothing, etc.

I usually dress conservatively, and I'm fortunate that I have a wife who dresses conservatively as well.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Anything which doesn't draw the eye.

Do you think that modest clothing are necessary in today's society, or are such restrictions merely unnecessary social conventions?
That depends on your end goal. They are certainly unnecessary if you want to show off or catch someone's attention, but incredibly handy if you just want to get by.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It all depends. On a beach or swimming pool, bikinis are acceptable, but in a restaurant or a shopping mall, it isn't. It also depends on the people. Some people find short skirts and halter tops perfectly acceptable while others think they are not.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
images
2Q==

Skwim

Veteran Member
CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT!

modest_dresses_phebe2.jpg

 Modest dress for church
Moderator cut: image removed
]Modest dress for nudist resort

Last edited by a moderator:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

I consider anything over the birthday suit socially acceptable.
I'm not especially interested in or concerned by modesty. Modesty is in the eye of the beholder.

What I found odd is that clothing seems to be deteriorating all the time. Sure, fashions change, and in modern times nobody would wear something that somebody wore in the 1600's, nonetheless, until very recently the way one dressed expressed spiritual and cultural identity.

Sadly, even convicts in the 20's dressed better than most people today.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

I find it unnecessary. Unless of course you're going into a cathedral or a synagogue in which you need to respect the place.
I live in Israel, it can get very hot here and people can be very minimal on clothing and consider it normal. We are also not big on formality, and its not uncommon to have people go to job interviews wearing flip flops and shorts.

Last edited:

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well, I do not impose my own modesty on others but I find that when you can see underwear, that isn't modest!

Essex people come to mind, the girls especially are known for wearing next to nothing, makeup is very heavy though.

I'm curious when people say that it doesn't matter, is there no limit at all?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've seen completely nude women conduct themselves with modesty. From that I've concluded modesty is not a matter of dress, but of bearing.

TommyDar

I've seen completely nude women conduct themselves with modesty. From that I've concluded modesty is not a matter of dress, but of bearing.

Sunstone, I agree. The definition of "modesty":

The quality or state of being unassuming or moderate in the estimation of one's abilities.

Therefore we can say that clothing is not modest of itself, but actually the individuals are modest. Individual human beings are modest when they are humble in talking to others. In fact I remember that in India some Hindu religious group which goes in nudity but yet perform acts of charity without boasting.

A woman who walks in nudity, is not necessarily trying to say she is better than someone else. At most she asserts her confidence as a woman but this is not necessarily immodest

On the other hand the burka is the precise opposite of modesty even if worn voluntarily because the wearer is trying to show off moral superiority.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

to me, its whatever does not draw undue attention to oneself.

It just has to be neat tidy and non-provoking to be modest.

Last edited: