• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to you constitutes "modest" dress?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I think it is telling that the concept of modesty in clothing almost exclusively refers to women. It sounds to me more of a method of controlling woman, and their bodies, than anything to do with actual modesty.

Depends how you see it. As a woman I decided to not show cleavage or wear really short skirts because I don't want to be seen as a sex object.

All I can say is that I've experienced both sides of the coin, I wasn't an angel as a teenager, some things I regret doing or showing off. I much prefer the way I am now.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Almost every creature is naked all the time.

Humans, hermit crabs, and maybe a few others are the only exceptions. Covering the body of a creature is statistically very unnatural.

The idea of covering up the human body is a social construct, so everything about modesty is relative. Intentions by the individual and perceptions from others of the individual seem to be far more meaningful than the actual state of coverage of the individual.

Wherenextcolumbus

Depends how you see it. As a woman I decided to not show cleavage or wear really short skirts because I don't want to be seen as a sex object.

All I can say is that I've experienced both sides of the coin, I wasn't an angel as a teenager, some things I regret doing or showing off. I much prefer the way I am now.

I see your point also. I wore really short skirts as a teenager and people looked down on me for it, and teenaged boys are ********. I don't regret it though probably because I didn't view it in a sexual or attention seeking way, I bought a lot of funky tights and liked showing them off.
However I do regret trying to walk in heels that was ridiculous and painful.

Monotheist 101

Anything that doesn't make me forget about the world around me and turn me into a pervert in my head.

All straight guys will admit, a natural reaction to seeing a hottie is letting our imaginations run wild and at the very least think about ripping that up.

I work as a security guard at the national gallery here in Canberra, Our team of 25 guards out of which 20 are males, spend their entire day perving on hotties. I love it there, Ive taken it to the next level and am actually getting results. :) The female energy in our universe has been good to me lately.

As for the whats too modest argument, I honestly believe it depends on the girl, if your comfortable dressed up like a half naked ****, than thats just who you are, and i love you for that :)...being a guy my advice would be, if you dont want to attract unwanted attention and members of the opposite sex to turn into caveman and fight for you so the winner gets to carry you over his shoulder..cover up..if the above mentioned is the thrill and drama you live for..than be my guest.

People should be allowed to wear their birthday suit..Its their body they can do whatever with it..We are only responsible for ourselves, so lets control our eyes and our heads and look the other way, if we dont like it, Im definatly catching a glimpse or two tho..:)

Last edited:
I'm not exactly a religious person, so I can accept the idea that modesty can vary from place to place.

Still, I would say that contrary to all the stuff that people say about appearance not mattering, appearance matters very much, at least in society.

It was said in the past that the real man should be careful about the clothes he wears and the way he dresses should be reasonable. His appearance should be pleasing since God is beautiful and he should be appropriate for His love.

The clothes one chooses say much about a person. A careless appearance, or one which is intentionally provocative, says much about the intentions and values of the wearer:

The Forgotten Virtue: Modesty In Dress - Featured Today - Catholic Online

The Importance of Appearance | RidingTheTiger

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
What, in your opinion is socially acceptable or modest dress?

Do you think that modest clothing are necessary in today's society, or are such restrictions merely unnecessary social conventions?

I believe in:
O children of Adam! We have indeed sent down to you raiment to cover your shame, and to be an elegant dress; but the raiment of righteousness — that is the best. That is one of the Signs of Allah, that they may remember.

It is important for peace as it is said:
O children of Adam! let not Satan seduce you, even as he turned your parents out of the garden, stripping them of their raiment that he might show them their shame. Truly he sees you, he and his tribe, from where you see them not. Surely, We have made satans friends for those who believe not.
Reference: Holy Quran, Chapter 7, verse 27and 28, alislam.org/quran

Good wishes.

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Most modest!
Burka.jpg

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Odd that those who praise God's creation most vehemently are also the ones most eager to keep it hidden...:rolleyes:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I just find it sad that so many people suffer fear, anxiety, and shame over such natural and rewarding things like nudity and sex. Going through life repressed and uptight seems so unhealthy and miserable.

To me, what constitutes modest dress is the breasts are covered and the lower regions are covered in such a way as to preclude them being revealed in any position. For women this means a knee-length skirt at the minimum.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Modesty is an attitude. I've come across very dynamic and flashy people dressed completely covered, while others can barely make a blip on the radar who are showing a lot of skin.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Most modest!
Reference #47 AND #48

ANSWER

Various Aspects From Ahmadiyya Muslim Point of view
Women in Islam

Women in the Holy Quran by Maha Dabbous
Muhammad the Liberator of Women by Hadhrat Mirza Bashir-ud-Din Mahmood Ahmad
Woman in Islam - By Sir Muhammad Zafrulla Khan
The Islamic Veil by Maha Dabbous
Islam and the Quran Require Us to Honor, Not Abuse, Women By Harris Zafar
Demystifying the Burqa By Harris Zafar
The Role of Women in an Islamic Society
Marriage in Islam by Ata Ullah Kaleem
Widow's remarriage (Malfoozat)
Chastity – Essential for Preservation of the Institution of Marriage by Nasir M. Malik
Assessing British MP Jack Straw’s Comments Concerning Hijab In Islam
From Ahmadiyya Muslim Point of view - Women in Islam | Muslim Women | Women Rights in Islam - Al Islam Online

Last edited:

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

I would say that contrary to all the stuff that people say about appearance not mattering, appearance matters very much, at least in society.

It was said in the past that the real man should be careful about the clothes he wears and the way he dresses should be reasonable. His appearance should be pleasing since God is beautiful and he should be appropriate for His love.

The clothes one chooses say much about a person. A careless appearance, or one which is intentionally provocative, says much about the intentions and values of the wearer...................................

Well said.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
As for the whats too modest argument, I honestly believe it depends on the girl, if your comfortable dressed up like a half naked ****, than thats just who you are, and i love you for that :)...being a guy my advice would be, if you dont want to attract unwanted attention and members of the opposite sex to turn into caveman and fight for you so the winner gets to carry you over his shoulder..cover up..if the above mentioned is the thrill and drama you live for..than be my guest.
You need some remedial respect, ASAP.

Monotheist 101

You need some remedial respect, ASAP.

Thats the new term for detention(with a goal to civilize) ey?

Apologies if that post came across as a little too strong...looking back I could have phrased it better..It was just me and my good friend JD hanging out when I typed that..lol...

I gotta talk about my life..as I see it..

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To me, what constitutes modest dress is the breasts are covered and the lower regions are covered in such a way as to preclude them being revealed in any position. For women this means a knee-length skirt at the minimum.
Seems to me that the idea of covering the breasts is entirely arbitrary and imbalanced.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
'modest' dress implies that you are dressing to hide, cover or detract from your sexuality.

It has more to do with how the wearer 'feels' (about how they are dressed), than how the wearer is actually dressed.

Skwim

Veteran Member
'modest' dress implies that you are dressing to hide, cover or detract from your sexuality.

It has more to do with how the wearer 'feels' (about how they are dressed), than how the wearer is actually dressed.
So, in order to determine if someone is modestly dressed or not it's necessary to ask them how they feel about the way they're dressed. Interesting, but I don't think it's going to catch on.