• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would a religious person do?

Erebus

This is a question that I would like the more religious inclined members on this forum to answer:

'If a loved one, or even just a stranger got knocked over by a car/bus in front of you, what would you do first? Pray? or phone 999/911?'

(Theoretically, a religious person should choose to pray first, as their belief in God is supposed to be more powerful than their trust in science (which is evident from reading this forum)).

Please give a honest answer and your reason why.

Hard to say having not been in the situation, but I'll try to get my reactions listed in the most likely order.

Run to them
check how badly injured they are
dial 911
slap myself
dial 999
get help
beat the **** out of the driver
stay with my loved one in hospital
pray/wish/conjure or whatever other outlet I need

Prayer is largely for emotional support. Actions get things done.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
Well, I'd yell at someone else to call 911, start CPR, if there was any way to do so, and leave the praying to someone else.

Honestly I'm not sure what the idea behind the OP is, unless it's to purposely irritate religious people with a large helping of condescension before lunch; but I wanted to get to 300 posts. Also before lunch. :D

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I wouldnt even pray. I'd get someone to call an ambulance and try to look after the person the best way i can.

Praying in such a situation is pure madness and also insensible.

I can multitask. I can pray while looking after and comforting a person. And I definitely don't see praying as insensible or madness. :)

MurphtheSurf

This is a question that I would like the more religious inclined members on this forum to answer:

'If a loved one, or even just a stranger got knocked over by a car/bus in front of you, what would you do first? Pray? or phone 999/911?'

(Theoretically, a religious person should choose to pray first, as their belief in God is supposed to be more powerful than their trust in science (which is evident from reading this forum)).

Call 911. And offer assistance in some way. There is no such thing as "miracle healing" anymore.

MurphtheSurf

Well, I'd yell at someone else to call 911, start CPR, if there was any way to do so, and leave the praying to someone else.

Honestly I'm not sure what the idea behind the OP is, unless it's to purposely irritate religious people with a large helping of condescension before lunch; but I wanted to get to 300 posts. Also before lunch. :D

Yes, I wondered that myself, but I think you are on the right track. :yes:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants

I would pray everyone have the common sense to call 911.

Vansdad

So this religious person (politically correct) gets caught in a flood and a person in a boat comes by to save him and says get in. The religious person says, "no God will save me". After three boats (reader's digest version) and three "no's" the water goes over his head and he drowns. He goes to heaven and asks God why He didn't save him. And God said I sent you three boats didn't I? haha

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Why not be in a prayerful attitude as you make the call? Since all life is sacred, and since the religious person is supposed to pray continually, and since God is present wherever we are present, I don't see it as any kind of dilemma. A 911 call could very well be considered prayer, as the call is made to an individual through whom God works.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
but what does that mean?

Good question! All it means is that I am praying in my heart (to me, to you that would be thinking), and not saying any words out loud. I can walk down the street, eat my lunch, go grocery shopping, etc and be praying on the inside. Only in formal prayer or organized prayer do I necessarily kneel down and fold my hands and all that or when I am alone. Jesus did teach us that we should "go to the closet and pray" (paraphrased). :shout

waitasec

Veteran Member
Good question! All it means is that I am praying in my heart (to me, to you that would be thinking), and not saying any words out loud. I can walk down the street, eat my lunch, go grocery shopping, etc and be praying on the inside. Only in formal prayer or organized prayer do I necessarily kneel down and fold my hands and all that or when I am alone. Jesus did teach us that we should "go to the closet and pray" (paraphrased). :shout

i remember when i used to pray it was like having the most honest conversation i could have with myself...i still do this but without god in the picture...
but when it comes to other people, like this imaginary person who was run over...,
i don't get why i should pray, what happened happened. and now, it is up to us to deal with the situation...i believe when surprises come along is when we find out who we are at that moment by the way we react...
for example; someone cuts me off in traffic...if it doesn't bother me, i'm in a good space, but if i react negatively then i'm not in a good space...and hopefully i'm mindful enough to be aware of how i react to surprises...
while i think meditation/prayer is a good thing it prepares us for those moments of crisis/surprises in which case there is no time for anything else but to react.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
i remember when i used to pray it was like having the most honest conversation i could have with myself...i still do this but without god in the picture...
but when it comes to other people, like this imaginary person who was run over...,
i don't get why i should pray, what happened happened. and now, it is up to us to deal with the situation...i believe when surprises come along is when we find out who we are at that moment by the way we react...
for example; someone cuts me off in traffic...if it doesn't bother me, i'm in a good space, but if i react negatively then i'm not in a good space...and hopefully i'm mindful enough to be aware of how i react to surprises...
while i think meditation/prayer is a good thing it prepares us for those moments of crisis/surprises in which case there is no time for anything else but to react.

I will still pray. It is as much for myself as the person I am praying for, you realize. I just like talking to God. And of course, I could forget to pray if I am in that situation. I did see an accident with a death before, the person who flew from the car had no hope whatsoever. The fire department and ambulance came within a few minutes but nothing could be done for the woman, except lay a tarp over her. I suppose I might have prayed for the woman's family and friends. There was nothing else I could do, there were already people there calling 911 and all that before I would have been able to get to the accident and I would have just gotten in the way.

chinu

chinu

:) Penny Kay ji, Honestly saying, chinu neither wants to pray nor phone, chinu just wants to take this stranger to hospital as soon as possible, and this is only the chinu's duty towards supreame-father, nothing else ..., rest everthing depends on stranger's Karmas (deeds).

If chinu would have failed to do this --- than he think's that he is irreligious insted of religious.

_/\_
Chinu

waitasec

Veteran Member
I will still pray. It is as much for myself as the person I am praying for, you realize. I just like talking to God. And of course, I could forget to pray if I am in that situation. I did see an accident with a death before, the person who flew from the car had no hope whatsoever. The fire department and ambulance came within a few minutes but nothing could be done for the woman, except lay a tarp over her. I suppose I might have prayed for the woman's family and friends. There was nothing else I could do, there were already people there calling 911 and all that before I would have been able to get to the accident and I would have just gotten in the way.

praying for her family and friends is an act of empathy, i get that.
but actually doing something, not that you specifically were in a position to do that, but a person who was in the position to help her husband or her children through this difficult time is what i think counts in the scheme of things. of course you are concerned and the only way to show it is to pray...becasue it is a hopeless situation for an empathetic bystander watching some ones life unravel.