• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would the real Siddhartha Gautama have looked like?

The Rev

I remember seeing an image which anthropologists created to show what the historical Jesus, had he really existed (not debating this either way), would have looked like, based on what they knew of the different races of people who lived in the area at the time, and what their defining physical attributes were:

voltobbc.jpg

This got me to wondering what the real Gautama would have looked like if he actually existed (still, not debating this either way). He is usually portrayed in a very idealized way, much like a saint or deity. However, Buddhist scripture is very explicit on the fact that he is not divine in any way. So, it would be interesting to see him as just a regular looking guy of the period.

If anyone has anything to throw into the discussion, I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
:namaste

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Have you ever looked at the wide range of Buddha images available? Thai Buddhas are distinct from Chinese Buddhas are distinct from Japanese Buddhas etc.

The other point is that there are said to be some 30 major distinguishing marks and 80 minor marks on ANY Buddha's body - from the curl of hair between the brows, to the extended earlobes and far beyond.

The Rev

I am inclined to think that many of those marks and characteristics are largely part of the myth of the Buddha (like the idea that he spoke at the moment of his birth, for example). I'm more interested in what regular people of that time and place in the world looked like. I'm sure Siddhartha Gautama was a charismatic guy, but still looked like the people around him.
:namaste

And he would have looked Indian/Nepalese. :D

Although, I'm still inclined to see Him as six feet tall with a chiselled chest, muscles and extreme handsomeness, as the descriptions portray Him. :yes:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
If you go to google images and type in something like "nepali man" and look at those pictures, you might get an idea I suppose.

Marble

Rolling Marble
Does someone know of an image that shows how people of his origin & background looked at that time?
Like the reconstruction of Jesus in the op?