• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whats defines a relgion and its rights ?

What I mean is how is a religion defined , for instance is scientology a religion or not ? as it was written by a science fiction writer and is clearly man made , so even though its clearly man made , scientologist still get all the protection that other religions do , that have been around for hundreds of years , I mean if that’s the case why cant I start my own religion , that’s instructs men to take any woman they want , to steal and gain as much as I can thought any method they want and I could make up a whole set of religious rules , say it is a religion , get followers and get all the protection that comes with religion ?

Is that right or wrong – would love some feedback – many thanks

blackout

Violet.
What I mean is how is a religion defined , for instance is scientology a religion or not ? as it was written by a science fiction writer and is clearly man made , so even though its clearly man made , scientologist still get all the protection that other religions do , that have been around for hundreds of years , I mean if that’s the case why cant I start my own religion , that’s instructs men to take any woman they want , to steal and gain as much as I can thought any method they want and I could make up a whole set of religious rules , say it is a religion , get followers and get all the protection that comes with religion ?

You can try. :shrug:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Not many countries are as generous as America when it comes to accepting religions.
In the UK they have to be accepted by the charity commissioners. And Scientology fails that fairly spectacularly.

I the UK calling yourself a religion give you no rights. Being a charity might.

KittensAngel

Boldly Proudly Not PC
Actually Scientology is a cult ideology developed and promoted by a man who being well traveled as an enlisted in the United State's Navy, L. Ron Hubbard, was very well read and in the process was intent on finding an enterprise he could promote as his own so as to make a living off the gullible and live forever as more than a penny a word pulp sci-fi author. Today's Scientology is not Hubbard's original work. Rather he stole the intellectual property of [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dr. Anastasius Nordenholz[/FONT], who authored the material in 1934. (LINK Scientologie 1934)

As for the legal definition of "Religion" in the U.S. :
The Supreme Court has interpreted religion to mean a sincere and meaningful belief that occupies in the life of its possessor a place parallel to the place held by God in the lives of other persons. The religion or religious concept need not include belief in the existence of God or a supreme being to be within the scope of the First Amendment. (Link)

In the States you can certainly start a religion of your own making, under the rights and protection of the 1st amendment. However, in order to establish your entity, religion, church, temple etc... as a tax exempt religious organization (501c3) one would have to apply to the IRS and meet their criteria so as to make a living as a religious entity while being exempt from paying tax on any profits.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

First off, religion involves some sort of spiritual formation entering on a relationship with some form of Deity.

Second, religion arises out of the culture and ostensibly is concerned with what is best for the community in which it is found. I don't see that your description fits that model.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I define religion as a set of values to live by, which often contain a mythology to explain the values(origins, why they're important, etc.), as well as often (though not always) having a Supreme Being (or Beings) who gave the values.

I personally think people have a right to practice whatever they want. However, when it comes to organizations, they need to provide darn good reasons why they should have certain rights, such as tax exemption. (For example, if a church or temple is poor and doesn't have that many followers.)

Jacksnyte

Reverend

You could attempt to do that, but how far do you think you would get with an organization like that?
As an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church, I have the backing to start my own legally-recognized church. Have I done this? No. Will I do this? Maybe. Just to make sure I understand your question, though, are you asking if there is some sort of moral standard or similar criteria for an organization to qualify as an "official" religion?

Skwim

Veteran Member
First off, religion involves some sort of spiritual formation entering on a relationship with some form of Deity.
So the god in Buddhism would be?

Second, religion arises out of the culture and ostensibly is concerned with what is best for the community in which it is found. I don't see that your description fits that model.
And what culture spawned Eckankar, and in what way is it concerned with what is best for the community in which it is found?

gnomon

You want to start a religious movement to get followers, whatever you want and state protection? It took less than two weeks but the Sai Baba has been reborn.;)

Anyway, religions are defined by the culture which creates them. If a mass of people adhere to a set of values they define and call it their religion there isn't much argument against their definition. I heard someone talking on Hannity's radio program just a couple of days ago who stated that a religion that doesn't promote peace is not a religion. Of course that's a completely false notion. Religions are not required to meet some universal rulebook beyond that which is defined by tradition. Traditionally a religion is a cosmology involving some form of higher power in which the social mores of the culture is codified. But even that's not a specific description of all forms of religious beliefs that are rather old such as shamanism, animism, etc. I would say those just lack the level of organization that later religions such as Hinduism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, etc. developed as humans congregated into larger developed settings with the onset of agriculture. And Confucianism lacks the level of spirituality seen in other religions but is considered a religion by many.

So yes, if you want to perpetually be learning how to play the guitar and set up a compound in Texas with a large devoted following of young females than there isn't much stopping you. Just make sure they are of legal age and I wouldn't start stockpiling firearms.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
There's always tons of needy and damaged people out there looking for some meaning. Just figure out how to fill that need and give them meaning, and you've got yourself a religion. It's really not rocket science. Most people just don't have the desire, ability, or lack of scruples necessary to follow through on such a plan.