• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's God's Big Problem with Homosexuality?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Looking at web sites that purport to list all the biblical references to homosexuality it's obvious that many are padding their list. Guess they feel that quantity = truth. In any case, I came away with the following pieces of scripture that can be pretty well construed to condemn homosexuality. God wants us to know that . . .

Leviticus 18:22
"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination."

Leviticus 20:13
"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

Romans 1:26-27
For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.

First Corinthians 6:9
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God​

So god's message here is that homosexual acts are "abominations" and "vile affections" and that anyone guilty of preforming them will be "put to death," and "shall not inherit the kingdom of God." Pretty stiff penalty for doing something that doesn't harm to anyone. But then god is the guy in charge and gets to call whatever shots he wants. Want to make eating boiled turnips a sin? God has the power to do just that. And he doesn't need to explain himself. However, it would make one wonder just what's so bad about eating a boiled turnip that god would deem it a sin. As it stands, lacking any such reason, it comes across as pretty irrational.

But as I say, obviously god doesn't feel he needs to explain any of his actions, and often doesn't. All the believer is obligated to do is adhere to his dictates. However, as an exercise in common sense, what might his reason be for condemning homosexual acts? Keep in mind that we now know that homosexuality is not a chosen sexual orientation, as in, "I think I'll be a homosexual rather than a heterosexual." And although there's no scientific consensus as to its cause, the reasons pretty much dove tail into the following. . .

"a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences."
(American Academy of Pediatrics )

"a possible biological, psychological, or social effects."
(American Psychological Association and American Psychiatric Association)

"a combination of biological and postnatal environmental factors."
(Royal College of Psychiatrists)
Now, if we know this to be true, then god did/does as well. YET, recognizing its unbidden, psychological imposition on the homosexual, god still finds that caving into its demands is worthy of damnation---something I see as irrational as condemning boiled turnips. To be heterosexual is to be fortuitous indeed. So, taking all this into consideration, what do you think might be behind god's reason for hating homosexual acts so much, considering them to be abominations and vile affections?

God condemns homosexual acts because ______________________fill in the blank____________________ .​

And, yes, I do know that no one is suppose to be able to fathom god's ways, but give it your best fallible, human shot anyway.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
While I strongly disagree with the Biblical rules on homosexuality myself, I have no idea how you're expecting anyone who supports those rules to chime in here when your post is already full of snark and condescension toward those people. It seems to me that you are looking for someone to mock or show as a fool, not for discussion or inquiry.

In Arabic we sometimes call people who do this "the disputant and the judge," meaning that the same person who starts a dispute is also the one who acts as the judge. More than a little lopsided scenario, I would say.

Skwim

Veteran Member
While I strongly disagree with the Biblical rules on homosexuality myself, I have no idea how you're expecting anyone who supports those rules to chime in here when your post is already full of snark and condescension toward them.
I have no hope of anyone posting anything other than a possible reason why god condemns homosexual acts. Any "chiming in" would be no more than this. That you see my conclusion that god's condemnation of homosexuals is irrational as snarky and condescending is kind of odd. Of course, if this isn't the snarky and condescension you're talking about, feel free to point out what is. Or not.

It seems to me that you are looking for someone to mock or show as a fool, not for discussion or inquiry.
Interesting that I come across this way, because that's not what I'm looking for at all. Care to disclose just what I've said that gives you this impression?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, I concluded this:

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God

And so on and so forth.

Have you ever heard any homosexual couple say they are lusting over each other when they are in a committed and serious relationship? Do you hear them saying they lust over their partners as those who did in the Bible? Where they tossing and turning over each other, being wild, yelling flying colors, and hip hopping (e-rated)?

The second one, just like every other human being, people steal, fornicate, and idolize. Have you read in the Bible that homosexuals are any more special than heterosexuals in regards to these sins? Have you read in the Bible that these sins are specifically and only for homosexuals? Have you heard any homosexual who relate their committed relationship with that of an adultery or as my friend says a murder? Do you read in the Bible where it says homosexuality is a sexual orientation?

The definitions are different. According to the Bible, there are a lot of homosexuals, that are not, well, homosexuals. Their actions aren't lust. Their committed relationships are within Christian values. They aren't hip hoping over each other. If they did, like straight people, they'd be sinning.

Straight people aren't the center of the universe. :)

The Bible doesn't talk about homosexuals/people. It talks about homosexuality/actions.

The people against it see it all wrong. :facepalm:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Looking at web sites that purport to list all the biblical references to homosexuality it's obvious that many are padding their list. Guess they feel that quantity = truth. In any case, I came away with the following pieces of scripture that can be pretty well construed to condemn homosexuality. God wants us to know that . . .

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God​

So god's message here is that homosexual acts are "abominations" and "vile affections" and that anyone guilty of preforming them will be "put to death," and "shall not inherit the kingdom of God." Pretty stiff penalty for doing something that doesn't harm to anyone. But then god is the guy in charge and gets to call whatever shots he wants. Want to make eating boiled turnips a sin? God has the power to do just that. And he doesn't need to explain himself. However, it would make one wonder just what's so bad about eating a boiled turnip that god would deem it a sin. As it stands, lacking any such reason, it comes across as pretty irrational.

But as I say, obviously god doesn't feel he needs to explain any of his actions, and often doesn't. All the believer is obligated to do is adhere to his dictates. However, as an exercise in common sense, what might his reason be for condemning homosexual acts? Keep in mind that we now know that homosexuality is not a chosen sexual orientation, as in, "I think I'll be a homosexual rather than a heterosexual." And although there's no scientific consensus as to its cause, the reasons pretty much dove tail into the following. . .

Now, if we know this to be true, then god did/does as well. YET, recognizing its unbidden, psychological imposition on the homosexual, god still finds that caving into its demands is worthy of damnation---something I see as irrational as condemning boiled turnips. To be heterosexual is a fortuitous indeed. So, taking all this into consideration, what do you think might be behind god's reason for hating homosexual acts so much, considering them to be abominations and vile affections?

God condemns homosexual acts because ______________________fill in the blank____________________ .​

And, yes, I do know that no one is suppose to be able to fathom god's ways, but give it your best fallible, human shot anyway.

Actually you can cut a couple more off the list.

Corinthians 6:9 doesn't have the words - "nor abusers of themselves with mankind," - in it. Nor a word meaning homosexuals.

Romans 1 actually tells us this is Sacred Sex in worship of God as an animal, in an act of creation.

Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and serpents.

Rom 1:24
Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves:

Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of Deity into a lie, and worship and render religious homage to the "Act of Creation" more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Leviticus 18:22 is the second verse of a grouping of four verses about Sacred Sex worship of Molech. Not homosexuals.

Lev 18:21 And your semen don't give in copulation to MOLECH, and don't desecrate/prostitute yourself; honor Elohiym, I am YHVH

Lev 18:22 And with/for males, don't lie down in the beds/for intercourse woman, idolatry is this.

Note the strange wording, and NO "as with a" in 22.

Lev 18:23 And also with any beasts don't lay carnally, thus defiling yourself. And thus also woman shall not be employed to serve beasts in copulation. Bestiality it is!

Lev 18:30 Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs/RITES, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.

That leaves only Lev 20:13, and that is more then likely also about Sacred Sex to Molech as Lev 20 starts out with Molech, and there is no "as with a" woman.

Lev 20:2 Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.

Lev 20:3 And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name.

Lev 20:4 And if the people of the land do any ways hide their eyes from the man, when he giveth of his seed unto Molech, and kill him not:

Lev 20:5 Then I will set my face against that man, and against his family, and will cut him off, and all that go a whoring after him, to commit whoredom with Molech, from among their people.

Faronator

Genetically Engineered
Certainly, but according current figures, homosexuals account for only 1.5 to 1.8 % of the population, (USA anyway) which doesn't seem very significant. (source)

Then maybe fear of those numbers increasing? No idea. Was just throwing an argument out there for the fun of it.

If I had to guess though - those numbers seem a tad bit low to me.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The second one, just like every other human being, people steal, fornicate, and idolize. Have you read in the Bible that homosexuals are any more special than heterosexuals in regards to these sins? Have you read in the Bible that these sins are specifically and only for homosexuals? Have you heard any homosexual who relate their committed relationship with that of an adultery or as my friend says a murder? Do you read in the Bible where it says homosexuality is a sexual orientation?
No, but what's your point?

The definitions are different. According to the Bible, there are a lot of homosexuals, that are not, well, homosexuals.
Got a chapter and verse for this?

Then maybe fear of those numbers increasing? No idea. Was just throwing an argument out there for the fun of it.

If I had to guess though - those numbers seem a tad bit low to me.
They seem a bit low to me as well. Here's the source.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Because it eliminates the possibility of reproduction?

Some scientists are starting to think there had to be an evolutionary advantage to having a steady small percentage of homosexuals.

If there were not some such, - they would have died out long ago.

Let us say an ancient war, where the losing side has lost their food, shelter, and most of their men.

Their best bet is to NOT reproduce until they have shelter, food, etc. The homosexuals would be a work force - that isn't reproducing. Allowing them time to recover, without population growth.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
What's God's Big Problem with Homosexuality? It ain't got nuthin' to do do with reality.

vraagteken.jpg

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Actually you can cut a couple more off the list.

Corinthians 6:9 doesn't have the words - "nor abusers of themselves with mankind," - in it. Nor a word meaning homosexuals.

Romans 1 actually tells us this is Sacred Sex in worship of God as an animal, in an act of creation.

Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and serpents.

Rom 1:24
Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves:

Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of Deity into a lie, and worship and render religious homage to the "Act of Creation" more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Leviticus 18:22 is the second verse of a grouping of four verses about Sacred Sex worship of Molech. Not homosexuals.

Lev 18:21 And your semen don't give in copulation to MOLECH, and don't desecrate/prostitute yourself; honor Elohiym, I am YHVH

Lev 18:22 And with/for males, don't lie down in the beds/for intercourse woman, idolatry is this.

Note the strange wording, and NO "as with a" in 22.

Lev 18:23 And also with any beasts don't lay carnally, thus defiling yourself. And thus also woman shall not be employed to serve beasts in copulation. Bestiality it is!

Lev 18:30 Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs/RITES, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.

That leaves only Lev 20:13, and that is more then likely also about Sacred Sex to Molech as Lev 20 starts out with Molech, and there is no "as with a" woman.

Lev 20:2 Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.

Lev 20:3 And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name.

Lev 20:4 And if the people of the land do any ways hide their eyes from the man, when he giveth of his seed unto Molech, and kill him not:

Lev 20:5 Then I will set my face against that man, and against his family, and will cut him off, and all that go a whoring after him, to commit whoredom with Molech, from among their people.

Because he was made up by homophobes.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member

Now, if we know this to be true, then god did/does as well. YET, recognizing its unbidden, psychological imposition on the homosexual, god still finds that caving into its demands is worthy of damnation---something I see as irrational as condemning boiled turnips. To be heterosexual is a fortuitous indeed. So, taking all this into consideration, what do you think might be behind god's reason for hating homosexual acts so much, considering them to be abominations and vile affections?

You seem to be under the delusion, as are many Christians, that God wrote the Bible, She didn't, men did, very opinionated men!!