• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's in a name?

Tre-L

Two Tears In a Bucket
It is written: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil."

Is it necessary to believe in the literal name of Jesus to be saved, or are we to believe in the character of Jesus and/or what He stood for? Some will disagree with this, but Jesus lived a life of love. Isn't that His character and excellence? A name is nothing more than how we identify an individual, but we actually come to know them by their character and what they stand for. I think those who believe in Jesus' name are simply those whom believe in the character He was known for and the excellence thereof.

What is light if not love, and what is darkness if not the absence of? We can be a selfish and cruel species, and very few value love (The light of life) as we ought. Most would rather live in darkness, which is evidenced by our evil deeds.

onoma (Name)

Is used for everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one's rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellences, deeds etc

When you 'invoke' a name are you invoking the name itself, or the Spirit to which the name points to? What I mean is that there are many who share the same series of consonants and vowels as a name, but this doesn't that mean that each person whom shares these same consonants and vowels, share the same qualities as well. If that were the case, good ole Jesus standing with a 40 oz and a blunt on a street corner in Tijuana is a Holy man too.

I think that when we believe in the name of Jesus, and when we pray in Jesus' name we are in actuality believing in, and praying to that which the name points to, not the name itself. We are 'invoking' the spirit behind the person who was Jesus the Christ. That is what we are identifying with - not the actual name, or even the actual person. When I think of Jesus I think of His character and what He did, and the life He lead, and the Spirit behind the man. I never knew the man as he was, but I can certainly identify with His character and the excellence thereof. I identify with His Spirit.

Are we not more than physical bodies and a series of consonants and vowels? I believe that even those whom do not believe in Jesus' literal name are still able to call on Him by 'invoking' the Spirit that He represented. Jesus means nothing to millions of people, but they can still identify with His spirit, and His character, and therefore still realize salvation. I'm simply suggesting that it is not necessary to believe in Jesus' literal name, or His person, but rather the necessity is to embrace the Spirit behind the man, which is (IMO) love.

Tre-L

Tre-L

Two Tears In a Bucket
I find your posts very hard to follow!

Yes Misty, I know you do, and I am sorry. I'm not sure what to tell you or how to simplify my views for you. I suppose the point I was making is that a literal belief in the man Jesus is not necessary for Christian salvation. What [is] necessary is to believe in what Jesus represented, which is love (IMO), hence his command for us to love our neighbor as ourselves. The rest is unnecessary religious baggage that weighs us down as a peoples.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I think Jesus had a lot of good, very positive messages that one can follow. I find everything about Jesus to be pretty good, the NT is something that I find positive.

Misty

Yes Misty, I know you do, and I am sorry. I'm not sure what to tell you or how to simplify my views for you. I suppose the point I was making is that a literal belief in the man Jesus is not necessary for Christian salvation. What [is] necessary is to believe in what Jesus represented, which is love (IMO), hence his command for us to love our neighbor as ourselves. The rest is unnecessary religious baggage that weighs us down as a peoples.

Yes I think I agree with that.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I think you'll find the concept of Love in almost every religion, not just JC's.
Besides, do you really need someone to 'command' you to love your neighbor?
Try walking without the crutches for a day or two . . . it's therapeutic towards standing on your own two feet.

EM

Tre-L

Two Tears In a Bucket
I think you'll find the concept of Love in almost every religion, not just JC's.
Besides, do you really need someone to 'command' you to love your neighbor?
Try walking without the crutches for a day or two . . . it's therapeutic towards standing on your own two feet.

EM

Belive me I am perfectly capable of standing and walking on my own two feet. The op is directed at those who think a literal belief in Jesus' name is necessary for salvation. I submit that it isn't, and of course love is common theme in most religions; it is the thread able to help us coexist with one another harmoniously. :)