• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's so great about your party?

tomspug

Absorbant
You know I was surprised to learn this morning that in the U.S. you "register" with a particular party (repub. or Democ.) and you may only vote for the presidential candidate that is a part of that party. I.e. that a Democ. may not vote for a repub.

I was totally blown away by that. I think it's really silly. What if you're registered Democ. but you change your mind the day before and you'd rather vote for a rep? And why on earth do different states vote on different days? That doesn't make ANY sense to me.

You americans are so complicated! LOL
That only applies to primaries, not the general election. For example, my wife is a registered Democrat, but she was planning on voting for Huckabee if he got nominated.

Draka

Wonder Woman
You know I was surprised to learn this morning that in the U.S. you "register" with a particular party (repub. or Democ.) and you may only vote for the presidential candidate that is a part of that party. I.e. that a Democ. may not vote for a repub.

I was totally blown away by that. I think it's really silly. What if you're registered Democ. but you change your mind the day before and you'd rather vote for a rep? And why on earth do different states vote on different days? That doesn't make ANY sense to me.

You americans are so complicated! LOL

As tomspug said, that is only for the primaries. It is an opportunity for those of a political party to have a say in who is that party's nominee for office. Once those nominees are decided, and the general election comes around (all on the same day), then you can vote for whomever you want. A Democrat could vote for a republican candidate and vice versa. The idea of the primaries is just to pick who is going to represent the political parties is all.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
There is no party that even comes close to representing my views on everything, but the Libertarian Party comes closest. I've been a dues-paying member since I was old enough to vote, and that was the first year they were on the ballot.