• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the worst Christian hymn?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Hey Kat,

I am getting the vibe that most who don't like some of these songs have a bigger problem with the message within them. It's absolutely offensive to them so it's no wonder they don't like "most" hymns.

SoyLeche

meh...
I don't know that one, but I LOVE "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" (since we're talking about fountains...).

YouTube - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
YouTube - "Come Thou Fount" Mormon Tabernacle Choir

It's on the BYU Channel constantly. I can't believe they took it out of the hymn book.
BTW, Jonny - thanks for the links. I've been wondering where I could find a video of that first link. If I ever end up giving a class in church on the topic of hymns I already know which ensign article I'd like to base it around ( LDS.org - Ensign Article - Singing Hymns with New Power ), and this video illustrates really well what he is talking about.

Great stuff.

BruceDLimber

I'm surprised that nobody seems as disgusted by "There Is a Fountain Filled With Blood" as I always was. Is it just because you were all lucky enough not to attend churches where it was sung?

I don't recall it being sung where I was, though I did hear it (rarely) later on.

Anyway, it's all the more ironic given the Iranian government's recent publicity trick in--I think--Teheran!

Bruce

kateyes

I love the music to Amazing Grace-especially when it is on the bag pipes--cannot say I care much for the words--but then never considered myself a wretch or blind. I can see it as a significant song for those who FOUND salvation after a less than gracious life.

I always liked the beat of Onward Christian Soldiers--since I was raised singing it--I don't think I ever saw it as a militaristic song. Battle Hymn of the Republic--sends chills down my spine, ..."As he died to make men holy--let us die to make men free"--doesn't have to be a literal death but is a call to us all not to let others be enslaved--politically, emotionally, personally.

I don't generally care for the hymns with bloody or gory imagery.

kateyes

I've always heard it "let us live to make men free" - but maybe the LDS hymnbook has altered lyrics.

The original lyrics use die--more modern versions change the lyrics to "let us live"--some versions are also changed to gender neutral--"As he died to make us holy, let us live to make us free................!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
The original lyrics use die--more modern versions change the lyrics to "let us live"--some versions are also changed to gender neutral--"As he died to make us holy, let us live to make us free................!
Keya! It's so great to see you! :monkey: