• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's worse for chidren?

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Like I said before, sex and violence are both part of the natural order of things (watch a few hours of Animal Planet and you are sure to see both) what is dangerous is not educating our children about these things and pretending they don't exist.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'd rather a kid see sex than someone's head getting blown off. I grew up watching nature videos and saw animals doing it all the time, and usually didn't even realize what I was seeing. When I did realize it, it didn't bother me... they're just making babies.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
spacemonkey said:
Look, I'm just trying to point out the hypocrisy of the Catholic Church throughout its HISTORY. I'm sorry if it irritates you, but it is the truth.
If you want to point out that "catholics" or even some clergy have done bad stuff, then I submit to you, GUILTY AS CHARGED. But if you want to say that the Catholic Church teaches this stuff then I'll take you up on it. You see the difference?

~Victor

ChrisP

Veteran Member
I think our children are exposed to both at far to young an age now. If 12 yr olds are having sex/shooting people, in a world that is already overpopulated and with a very large share of problems, then something in society will probably shift on it's own.

In a situation where we were living in a tribal environment with small tribes, some of which would probably be nomadic, as soon as a woman was of childbearing age, she could be married. These days that is frowned upon as the girl is considered 'unready'. In our current environment that is very true. She would probably have to fend for herself or she would probably receive support from her family. In the days of tribes, the tribes would assist the young woman in how to raise the child, and would probably communally raise the children anyway. Young men would be taught to hunt, to go to war. How to fight how to build.

These things are considered redundant in our current day and age, yet they reach to the heart of what we are.

Why should children have to wait to experience them? They should learn the truth about human nature as early as possible to avoid disallusionment and naivety.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
spacemonkey said:
Why is my response retarded? Are you denying that the Catholic Church has condemned sexuallity throughout its existance? That has to be what you mean because I know there is NO WAY you can deny they have promoted violence.
Many Catholics and Many protestants, especially the puritan variety have always had a fear of sex. but not an equal fear of violence.
A young Irish couple we knew when we first married had extreme problems. The Girl was physically sick when ever he tried to come near her. they separated in a few weeks and the marriage was annulled as it was never consummated. She later joined a nunnery.
We spoke to them many times trying to allay her fears, mostly she feared that she would enjoy sex. She was convinced sex was only to conceive not to enjoy.

This is an extreme and I am sure not usual, but the result of a very puritanical catholic view of sex, which was not unusual in the Irish at the time.
After all they were still putting unmarried mothers in mental asylums.

Terry____________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does the media promote irresponsible sex? If so, is it worse for children to be deluged with irresponsible sex than it is for them to be deluged with violence?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I can't see how promoting irresponsible sex would be worse than promoting violence... better a pregnant kid than a dead one.