• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with our society?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Eh? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but every child in the country is entitled to an education regardless of their parents' financial status. In fact not providing an adequate education is grounds for neglect in many states.

Property taxes shouldn't be the main source of revenue for education, anyway. Wealthy districts can build up grand stadiums in even their junior highs while other districts can barely provide equipment.

But since she's homeless I don't see how this was fraud.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Eh? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but every child in the country is entitled to an education regardless of their parents' financial status. In fact not providing an adequate education is grounds for neglect in many states.

Property taxes shouldn't be the main source of revenue for education, anyway. Wealthy districts can build up grand stadiums in even their junior highs while other districts can barely provide equipment.

But since she's homeless I don't see how this was fraud.

The woman isn't homeless. She has an address. If she rents, part of her rent goes toward paying property taxes to the local school district. If she owns her home, she's paying property taxes.

nnmartin

but if you were truly homeless wouldn't it be fair for you to go to any school?

perhaps the one nearest to where you spent the last night?

no taxes involved here.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
The woman isn't homeless. She has an address. If she rents, part of her rent goes toward paying property taxes to the local school district. If she owns her home, she's paying property taxes.

The article indicates she wasn't renting; she spent some time there with a friend. The lease wasn't in her name.

I guess if she used the address at any point in the year it might be considered fraud, but I don't think it's the same thing as actually owning/renting a residence and lying.

nnmartin

Great way to educate ones children. Commit fraud to get them placed in a better school. Freakin' brilliant,

surely all around the World parents are doing these types of thing every day - ie: try to get a foot start for their kids however possible.

I've certainly heard of parents moving location just before applying for school in order to get their kids at a better one - is there really any difference here to that of the homeless woman?

Kathryn

surely all around the World parents are doing these types of thing every day - ie: try to get a foot start for their kids however possible.

I've certainly heard of parents moving location just before applying for school in order to get their kids at a better one - is there really any difference here to that of the homeless woman?

Errrr, yes. Because they actually MOVED to a different school district and are now paying taxes in that school district supporting that school district.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Nope, they most certainly are not. No way they could be... .
and that's a true crime. so whats this mother guilty of trying to change the social status of her child? no wonder every one is so ****** off.

Kathryn

and that's a true crime. so whats this mother guilty of trying to change the social status of her child? no wonder every one is so ****** off.

How can all schools be equal? How can a school in El Paso be equal to a school in Seattle?

It's impossible. This country is simply too diverse and large to have "equal" schools.

Also, keep in mind that it's not just tax dollars that make differences in schools. I used to live in a town with several high schools and junior highs. The amount of tax dollars per student was exactly equal, but the schools differed widely. This was because the STUDENT POPULATION was so markedly different from school to school.

Demographics make a huge difference.

Iti oj

Premium Member
How can all schools be equal? How can a school in El Paso be equal to a school in Seattle?

It's impossible. This country is simply too diverse and large to have "equal" schools.

Also, keep in mind that it's not just tax dollars that make differences in schools. I used to live in a town with several high schools and junior highs. The amount of tax dollars per student was exactly equal, but the schools differed widely. This was because the STUDENT POPULATION was so markedly different from school to school.

Demographics make a huge difference.
Well i do agree the demographics plays a huge roll in how/what a school is, but is that the only thing making such a school unequal?

sooooo the system does force people to stick in a demographic?

CynthiaCypher

Here in Los Angeles you can enroll your child in any school in the LAUSD as long as you can provide transportation to get them there.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
She was sentenced to 12 years, suspended after she serves five, for twice selling drugs to undercover officers.
This I agree with.
However, in Norwalk, she was also sentenced to five years for first-degree larceny by defrauding a public community in sending her son to a school outside of her district.

Although she gets to serve the sentences concurrently, meaning she will likely only serve five years total, I do not feel that the punishment fits the crime concerning the Norwalk case.

Kathryn

Well i do agree the demographics plays a huge roll in how/what a school is, but is that the only thing making such a school unequal?

sooooo the system does force people to stick in a demographic?

Generally speaking, people can live wherever they want as long as they can pay the rent or mortgage or buy a house with cash, and as long as they pay their property taxes. No school system is forcing anyone to live anywhere.

In many school districts, there are magnet schools which accept any student from any part of the district. There are also programs in place in many school districts where a student can change their school, with the school district's permission and in an open manner.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Generally speaking, people can live wherever they want as long as they can pay the rent or mortgage or buy a house with cash, and as long as they pay their property taxes. No school system is forcing anyone to live anywhere.

In many school districts, there are magnet schools which accept any student from any part of the district. There are also programs in place in many school districts where a student can change their school, with the school district's permission and in an open manner.
even if a crime was committed 5 years is a rather extreme punishment

Kathryn

even if a crime was committed 5 years is a rather extreme punishment

She is serving it concurrently - along with the time she is serving as a repeat offender for drugs.

I doubt very seriously that if this wasn't the case, she'd spend a day in jail for this crime alone.

nnmartin

so is there anything to stop parents simply moving near to their school of choice?

let's say one of the better free public schools.

can't all the wealthy parents just move near to it and relegate those of lower means to the not so good schools - is that democracy at work?