• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your favorite story of creation or evolution?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
This is an offshoot of the "in the beginning" question in the debate area. I was just realizing that there are such a myriad of beautiful myths (or history, if you wish) about this happening that perhaps the one that we prefer says something about ourself.

(I'm sure that people will understand that, should one wish to say that their story is the 'correct' one, that they can post it over here. :bounce This section is simply for revelling in the wonderful ways that so many people have in explaining how life came to be and discussing it.)

Oops, I should add, too, that the story (or stories) you might choose to share does not have to be the one you personally accept. For instance, many people who would only accept the theory of evolution might know some myths that they enjoy. You can believe one thing and just be willing to say that you appreciate the beauty of a particular interpretation of events. (Which is not to say that there isn't a beauty in evolution!)

Also, having shared the story, I'd love to hear the meaning that people garner from it. What do you percieve as being the meaning of the story you chose?

Can't wait to read! :jiggy:

cardero

Citizen Mod
THE ORIGIN OF LOVE

When the earth was still flat,
And the clouds made of fire,
And mountains stretched up to the sky,
Sometimes higher,
Folks roamed the earth
Like big rolling kegs.
They had two sets of arms.
They had two sets of legs.
They had two faces peering
Out of one giant head
So they could watch all around them
As they talked; while they read.
And they never knew nothing of love.
It was before the origin of love.

The origin of love

And there were three sexes then,
One that looked like two men
Glued up back to back,
Called the children of the sun.
And similar in shape and girth
Were the children of the earth.
They looked like two girls
Rolled up in one.
And the children of the moon
Looked like a fork shoved on a spoon.
They was part sun, part earth,
Part daughter, part son.

The origin of love.

Now the gods grew quite scared
Of our strength and defiance
And Thor said,
"I'm gonna kill them all
With my hammer,
Like I killed the giants."
But the Zeus said, "No,
You better let me
Use my lightning, like scissors,
Like I cut the legs off the whales
And dinosaurs into lizards."
Then he grabbed up some bolts
And he let out a laugh,
Said, "I'll split them right down the middle.
Gonna cut them right up in half."
And then storm clouds gathered above
Into great balls of fire

And then fire shot down
From the sky in bolts
Like shining blades
Of a knife.
And it ripped
Right through the flesh
Of the children of the sun
And the moon
And the earth.
And some Indian god
Sewed the wound up into a hole,
Pulled it round to our belly
To remind us of the price we pay.
And Osiris and the gods of the Nile
Gathered up a big storm
To blow a hurricane,
To scatter us away,
In a flood of wind and rain,
And a sea of tidal waves,
To wash us all away,
And if we don't behave
They'll cut us down again
And we'll be hopping around on one foot
And looking through one eye.

Last time I saw you
We had just split in two.
You was looking at me.
I was looking at you.
You had a way so familiar,
But I could not recognize,
Cause you had blood on your face;
I had blood in my eyes.
But I could swear by your expression
That the pain down in your soul
Was the same as the one down in mine.
That's the pain,
Cuts a straight line
Down through the heart,
We called it love.
So we wrapped our arms around each other,
Trying to shove ourselves back together.
We was making love,
Making love.
It was a cold dark evening,
Such a long time ago,
When by the mighty hand of Jove,
It was the sad story
How we became
Lonely two-legged creatures,
It's the story of
The origin of love.
That's the origin of love.

matey

IN the beginning, there was no beginning. IT always was, and, it never will be. All that was made, was already, and, will never be. There is no time, only change. The cause is the effect, the effect, a cause. Your work is your pride, your reward is your money. Your legacy, your work. The truth your guide.

"In the Boothill Cemetery in Tombstone, Arizona, there is an epitaph that reads: "Be what you is, cuz if you be what you ain't, then you ain't what you is." This piece of trivia appears in a book titled, "The Hero's Journey: The Life of Joseph Campbell," noted mythologist, scholar and philosopher."

joeboonda

Um, I don't really have a story, but I have an interesting note. Many different people from different cultures, tribes, etc. have said that they were told a story about how, long, long ago, there was a flood that destroyed almost everyone in the world. I don't know if that was Noah's Flood or not, but perhaps it could have been? Who knows, just thought I'd share it. :)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Carrdero, I LOVE you for posting that! :D That is my absolute favorite song/creation story. It's even better in the movie...

Yerda

Veteran Member
The believers in the Flying Spaghetti Monster that started all of creation tell quite a tale. Much more amusing than the Invisible Pink Unicorn cult. :p

The Black Whirlwind

mine. The Great Celsetial Being exploded, creating all matter, all the planets, the galaxies, humans, animals, etc etc, which is the Living Force. Then its soul became the Unifying Force, and that is what our souls are made of.

Rick123123

Ok this might get a little confusing...

Before everything, everything that was, was ALL that IS and there was nothing else. Now ALL that IS knew that ALL it WAS was all that is and there was nothing else. ALL that IS had one true longing, and that was to experience itself; experience itself being loving, being kind, being hurtful, being everything! But ALL that IS could not experience itself because ALL that IS was all there was, so ALL that IS could not experience itself experentially because all it had was a concept of who it was, it could not demonstrate itself to another because there was nothing else. So ALL that IS reasoned quite logically that for it to experience itself, a part of itself would have to be smaller then the whole, so ALL that IS in one moment cut itself in half (from the inside) and from this the physical plane, metaphysical plane, and spirits sprung forth.

Now that ALL that IS was seperated (from the inside) so it could experience all the things it wanted to experience by merely having the spirits go into the physical plane to experience this. Now for the spirits to experience themselves in the physical plane as loving they had to create its opposite, fear, for on the physical plane for one thing to exist its opposite has to, as opposed to the metaphysical plane where love could exist with out its opposite. Now ALL that IS also reasoned that to experience itself it would have to forget who it was upon entering the physical plane, because it also longed to become itself, so it forgot who it was upon going to the physical plane so it could create itself over and over again in whatever form of being it chose. It would do this until finally it remembered who it was again and returned to the oneness. This is God breathing, over and over again, it will come together for a while after it has rememberd itself, and then cut itself in half to expereience itself.

So you see we are all the same thing, creating ourselves differently in order for us to expereience everything, until everyone of us acheives oneness again. So you see we are seperate, and also one at the same time. This is the divine dichotomy.