• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When if ever will Canada be as well known on the world stage and have as much culture as the United States has now ?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Everywhere there are people, there is culture. Or rather, multiple overlapping and evolving cultures.

The USA though, did give the world a musical culture which is as rich, deep and varied as all human experience, so it's hard not to be overshadowed by that. But they've also bombed corners of the globe Canada hasn't even thought about, so the good is somewhat tempered by the bad.
We ribb Canada for its military prowess , but rest assured, Canada actually has a military they can be proud of.

Twilight Hue

Nothing in the world would make me wish to move to the United States. At this juncture in my life, I'm not even sure I'd care to visit anymore.
I miss the open undefended border in the good Ole days where you can cross just using your regular drivers license.

Those days won't come back, but I keep hoping it will return someday because it was a beautiful thing for two close countries to have such a national relationship.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
We ribb Canada for its military prowess , but rest assured, Canada actually has a military they can be proud of.
In the first world war the Germans feared the Canadian troops

They literally took no prisoners they were brutal

They wouldn't fraternise with the Germans as the British did for instance at Christmas 1914

Twilight Hue

In the first world war the Germans feared the Canadian troops

They literally took no prisoners they were brutal

They wouldn't fraternise with the Germans as the British did for instance at Christmas 1914
One of my favorite movie scenes comes to mind....

Massimo2002

Canada has plenty of culture. The National Ballet of Canada and the Canadian Opera Company are known around the world. We have tons of theatre. Some of our cities are among the most multicultural on earth.

Your problem is you live in Edmonton, which has a provincial government, a really big mall, a decent hockey team and little else but cold winters. Although the 18 hours of daylight during the summer can be very nice.
Why doesn't Edmonton have more things to do ?

Massimo2002

Population. You do not have a temperate climate, and that explains most of the difference. I do not think that will change, and if you want to increase your population it will be in spite of your climate. I don't see anything wrong with a small population. Instead of comparing Canada to USA, compare your population to a similar sized group of people.
Wrong it will change one day because climate is always changing.

Massimo2002

I concur Toronto has more culture than here, but culture is still here, just not in the numbers it is there. We have our Chinatown, little Italy, little India, and more. We have a symphony, and there are lots of live plays. In the summer we have the Fringe festival, Heritage Days, Folk music festival, street performers festival, the Taste of Edmonton, and more. Not just that, but we also export a lot of talent to the US, mainly because actors, musicians, comedians, etc. can make more money there due to the larger audience.
Why doesn't Edmonton have as much culture as Toronto ?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Wrong it will change one day because climate is always changing.
True! Also you can move if you prefer. There is no limitation, so it is like we are one big group. If you will consider your contributions to be ours then you may consider ours to be yours.

PureX

Veteran Member
Those are weird questions.

Why would Canada want to be “better known on the world stage”? How would this be an advantage to a nation?

And what is “more culture”? Culture is culture. All human collectives involve culture.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Might sound like a strange question but to be honest as a Canadian I have a deep infority complex because the United States has more cultural and people and is more well known over the world.
As the 51st, largest, & most productive state, Canuckistan
should take great pride as the greatest of all US states.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Might sound like a strange question but to be honest as a Canadian I have a deep infority complex because the United States has more cultural and people and is more well known over the world.
I am a bit surprised by that.

All in all, Canada strikes me as having most of the significant advantages of the USA while having somehow evaded most of the nightmares. It certainly has a better international reputation, and apparently a lot less political and social unease.

Of course, I am about 10 700 Km away from Canada and have been for practically all of my life, so what do I know?