• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do Science Laws come from and Why do they Exist at all?

Milton Platt

All theories of evolution, abiogenesis, creationism and Intelligent Design must follow the laws of science.

Those science laws and where they came from and why they exist must be part of any science discussion.

1- The science laws we have are just what we have discovered.

2- Man did not create the laws but must follow them.

3- Science laws seem to apply to the entire universe not just to earth.

4- Without the laws of science we would have chaos or what?

5- Did the laws start with the big bang or was the big bang a result of the laws?

6- Are laws a form of intelligence or the result of intelligent design or just a happy coincidence?

Your fallacy is in thinking the laws are proscriptive. They are not. They are descriptive. They describe the way things work.

Dante Writer

There are no laws of science that are not open to amendment.
laws of science are by their nature works in progress. And limited to certain conditions being fulfilled.
no one imposes laws of science. Not even God.

"laws of science are by their nature works in progress."

I would not agree with that. Our understanding of those laws will change and have changed over our history due to our limited intelligence and technology.

The laws seem immutable.

Dante Writer

We don't know the earth was around before (whenever). We deduce that from data that appears to our perception, invoking a whole world of faith into that perception, and reason to an assumption/conclusion we hold as valid.

Man clearly created the laws. I don't get how that is a question or in dispute. But perhaps that is an interesting side debate. Or if is the entire purpose of this thread, then I'm up for hearing about where these laws exist as laws within the physical world, and is somehow independent of my/our mind(s).

"Man clearly created the laws"

You are confusing the term "law" and our interpretation of that phenomenon with the phenomenon itself.

I could show the mathematical formula for a law which is how we test a law but that is just how our human intelligence is trying to grasp a phenomenon and force that we barely understand.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
"laws of science are by their nature works in progress."

I would not agree with that. Our understanding of those laws will change and have changed over our history due to our limited intelligence and

The laws seem immutable.
Laws of science are what we have deduced from observation and have tested by experiment.
We are only able to test them in respect of knowledge we have up to that point.
Further research, discovery and application can lead to a further refining of the law or its total abandoment.

rusra02

Premium Member
Why do you think the law is because of a supernatural being or God? You do not have any proof other than views or books written by illiterate people in a pre-science age. They did not even know whether the earth was spherical or flat.
Laws do not exist apart from a lawgiver. The one who can control the forces and laws governing the universe is the true God, in my opinion. Even though the Bible was completed about 1,900 years ago, it truthfully states the earth is spherical and hangs without visible support in space. (Isaiah Job 26:7, Isaiah 40:22) How did the men who wrote this know these facts, now supported by science?
How did the Israelites know to bury their excrement, something still not done in many places? (Deuteronomy 23:12,13)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/science/long.html
How did the men who wrote this know these facts, now supported by science?
How did the Israelites know to bury their excrement, something still not done in many places? (Deuteronomy 23:12,13)
Job 26.7 "He wraps up the waters in His clouds, And the cloud does not burst under them .."
As if they were balloons. :D Very good.
Deutronomy 23.12 ".. you shall dig with it and shall turn to cover up your excrement."
:D Very good. Even animals do that.

rusra02

Premium Member
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/science/long.html
Job 26.7 "He wraps up the waters in His clouds, And the cloud does not burst under them .."
As if they were balloons. :D Very good.
Deutronomy 23.12 ".. you shall dig with it and shall turn to cover up your excrement."
:D Very good. Even animals do that.

Job 26:7 says: "He stretches out the northern sky over empty space,Suspending the earth upon nothing;"

A few animals may cover their excrement; many people today and throughout history do not. The Bible commanded this be done 3,500 years ago.

Acim

Revelation all the time
"Man clearly created the laws"

You are confusing the term "law" and our interpretation of that phenomenon with the phenomenon itself.

I could show the mathematical formula for a law which is how we test a law but that is just how our human intelligence is trying to grasp a phenomenon and force that we barely understand.

The law is our interpretation of said phenomenon.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Your misunderstanding is thinking the term "law" is the same as the phenomenon that term describes.

Keep trying!
You really should be more respectful of people who gently point out some of the much that you got wrong.

In this case, there is a lot of misplaced attribution in the very premise of your thread.